v17 Clarifying Current Audio Capabilities
If I disable pass through in Jarvis it does not pass multi channel audio but only stereo. I have set the number of channels to 5.1 but when playing a Dolby true hd encoded film my amp says stereo and I can enable the pro logic modes on, something i cant do when its receiving multi channel audio. I tried it with an HDMI cable into my amp i.e.not using the ARC channel on the TV
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
with one is better as Im not sure with audio format set in TV - Multichannel or Stereo(uncompressed)?
I've got Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V381 connected via HDMI ARC to Philips 55PUS6561
(2017-02-23, 00:25)freeman94 Wrote: with one is better as Im not sure with audio format set in TV - Multichannel or Stereo(uncompressed)?
I've got Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V381 connected via HDMI ARC to Philips 55PUS6561
Please speak English.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sorry english is not my native language, that wasnt kodi related question but overall what to choice on TV settings when I have 5.1 Receiver connected via HDMI ARC.
OK, multichannel I think, but that isn't the best setup. Best is

Kodi-->AVR-->TV
Hey everyone. After RIDICULOUS amount of research I have fixed the issue with Nvidia shield TV, Kodi 17.1 and DTS-MA.

My setup:

Nvidia Shield TV - HDMI - YAMAHA RXA2030 Receiver - HDMI - Samsung UN75HU8550 (Via SEK3500).

In the shield the following settings are:

Display and Sound:
Resolution: 4K 60Hz
Volume Control: Fixed Volume Selected
Advanced:
Fixed Volume ON (Pass audio control to external devices)
HDMI 5.1 Audio (OFF)

In KODI ensure the following settings are up:

SYSTEM SETTINGS: (EXPERT)

Display:
Delay after change of refresh rate (2.5 seconds). Helps the audio sync to the video refresh

Audio:
Number of channels 7.1
Output configuration: Best Match
Vol control 90
Maintain orig volume on downmix (ON)
Stereo upmix (OFF)
Resample (HIGH)
Allow Passthrough - YES (on)
Click ALL capable fields (including DTS HD)

Audio DSP OFF

PLAYER SETTINGS:
Videos (THIS IS WHAT DID IT FOR ME)***
Adjust display refresh rate (ALWAYS) For some reason DTS MA wont ping unless this was on

I suggest setting your Kodi to match and then systematically try turning OFF different options while testing a DTS-HD video.

This took me nearly 2 weeks to figure out! Hope this helps!
nordstromjunkie - Thank you. I've been using Kodi on my Shield TV to decode audio since I set it up several months ago, but I was trying to get pass through to work due to reading elsewhere that Kodi was only decoding the core audio stream (glad to see that's not the case). I was getting no audio with DTS-HD, while all other codecs worked, and wasn't finding a solution anywhere. The 'adjust display refresh rate' option fixed it (sort of*), so at least that's one less thing I need to worry about. Though considering that Kodi decodes the HD audio and (supposedly) there's little to no difference in having it do it vs the receiver, and bitstreaming doesn't work very well*, I'll just stick to leaving pass through off. I like being able to control the volume through Kodi anyways, which is the main reason I set it up that way to begin with.

*I tried setting the 'adjust display refresh rate' option to 'on start / stop' and it worked somewhat, but only ~25-35% of the time. Setting it to always does seem to work 100% of the time. Unfortunately, it not only isn't as smooth as having Kodi decode it (audio keeps playing for a half second or so when paused, takes a second or so to start playing when unpaused), which is the other reason I originally set it up to have Kodi do the decoding, but it also makes it take SIGNIFICANTLY longer to start playback (ok, a few seconds isn't a lot, but when you're used to it being near instant). And the audio seems to cut out or skip every now and then.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clarifying Current Audio Capabilities0