Apple TV 4 and 1080p Playback Performance
720p DVD's are ok but using BluRay disk images is unusable. Tried wired 100Mbps, WIFI 1300Mbps 801ac, but the same: extreme jitter, audio drops off, not matter what audio options I try, and the source computer only shows ~1-3MB/s on source disk array, which is 1300MB/s capable. Using NFS.

After days of experimentation with various network and audio options, I'm out of ideas.

Blue-Ray 1080p just won't play.
Ok, I did some more digging and realized my server-side config (MacPro) TCP stack was only putting out ~2MB/s. I did some research and using this sysctl.confg I tested server & network throughput at a consistent 49MB/s (392Mbps). So BIG improvement in playback (AppleTV now draws 4MB/s from the server - better but still VERY jerky).

On the Apple TV I need to set the same settings I think, but I'm using the latest Apple TV OS, and I'm not jailbroken.

Q: Is it possible to JB the latest Apple TV 4 to set the same values there?

====
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=2
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=16777216
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=4194304
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=4194304
net.inet.tcp.maxseg_unacked=32
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
=====
2ND EDIT:

Switched the Apple TV4 to use WiFi (Apple TV4's support 802.11ac which I'm using), and getting now ~6MB/s pull on the server. Playback is watchable now (yay!), but still not buttery smooth with 1080p BluRay disk image.

Still seems starved for bandwidth I can tell on the client side. I need to get on the Apple TV 4 and mod the sysctl.conf for sure.

Any pointers appreciated to Jailbreak for Apple TV 4 with 10.1.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4 and 1080p Playback Performance1