Mini M8S - 802.11ac or gigabit lan adapter?
So I've got a Mini M8S (S905) which has been perfect for me up until now, but I've recently started using 4k content.
My home network is gigabit but the M8S only has 10/100 and some higher bitrate content is stuttering/pausing due to the low bandwidth. The same content is fine if connected on USB 2.0 drive.

I see a few options but I'm not sure which way to go:

1) Get an 802.11ac USB adapter for the M8S.
I'm not sure if the box is capable of using these or if theres any drivers in place. Any info on adapters that work would be appreciated.

2) Get a Gigabit Lan USB 3.0 adapter for the M8S.
The USB ports on the M8S are 2,0 so I won't get the full gigabit, but I'm not sure if I'll get the available bandwidth in USB 2.0 mode or if it'll switch to 100mbit mode instead which wouldn't help.

3) Take the opportunity to upgrade to a 4k HDR10 capable box like the Zidoo X9S / Himedia Q10. But both of those seem to have issues and theres not a lot of HDR content right now. I was planning to wait a little longer until they sort their issues or a better alternative appeared.

Thanks in advance for any info.
You did not write if you use android+kodi or libreelec. If you are using android, try libreelec on a microSD card. For images and support see here: https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html
Wetek Hub: LibreElec 8.0.0c
MK808B+: LibreElec 7.0.2.7
MXQ Pro 4k (S905): LibreElec 7.0.2.012j (Denon X1200W, 7.1 speakers, LG PF1500G)
Akaso HM8 (S905X): LibreElec 8.0.0c
Acer Revo 3610: Milhouse
If you have the chance for a cable: use the cable.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the replies.
I tried Libreelec just now. Instead of stuttering it pauses to buffer ever 10 seconds or so.
I tried increasing cache size to around 200mb and increasing the fill rate but all it does is take a little longer before the issues happen. It also brings back the stuttering behaviour.
The 100Mbit ethernet port just doesn't have enough bandwidth.

I'll ask on the Libreelec forum to see if there's any support for USB Gigabit ethernet or 802.11ac adapters.
What source are you streaming from?
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-01-03, 23:32)Dangelus Wrote: What source are you streaming from?

HP MicroServer on a network that's gigabit other than the Mini M8S.
I also use a HP Microserver as central NAS. I do not have a 4k tv, so I did not use much 4k content. I tested it with some demo files, and indeed 4k files stutter on my MXQ box with 100 MBit/s. Interestingly, 4k streams from DVB-S2 (Astra sat) work fine. The same files do not stutter on the Wetek Hub with Gigabit.

Gigabit USB3 network adapters start at 7€ incl. shipping on ebay.de. You might just try your luck.
Wetek Hub: LibreElec 8.0.0c
MK808B+: LibreElec 7.0.2.7
MXQ Pro 4k (S905): LibreElec 7.0.2.012j (Denon X1200W, 7.1 speakers, LG PF1500G)
Akaso HM8 (S905X): LibreElec 8.0.0c
Acer Revo 3610: Milhouse

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini M8S - 802.11ac or gigabit lan adapter?0