Win Kodi v17 RC Add-on problems
(2017-01-16, 13:43)gibxxi Wrote: It didn't on the last update (Anniversary) with W10. MS were forcing it enabled, even with 3rd Party AV installed. Although you could turn off real-time scanning. The icon doesn't seem to be present in the tray now though, so maybe they reverted that decision.

Before anniversary update, you had the possibility to disable it (but it come back on a few days later) or completely put it off with registry changes

Since anniversary update, it goes off as soon as there is another antivirus and you can not put it off manually (or I did not find the new way to do it...)

You can see that windows defender is disabled and I have done nothing else than installing avast
Moanbag is in da place!
Ah, might be getting my versions mixed up then. I was testing the Insider builds as well for a while, but opted out due to Windows ''Annoyances''.

Smile
Regarding AV, Paxxi has given me an idea: I may try excluding the folder Kodi is running in (portable setup) on this machine, or failing that, the entire drive and see if that yields different results.

Will post back if I see anything different.

Strange thing is I've been running 3rd-party AV for a number of years, and never had it interfere with Kodi in the past. But I do know that Windows has had a tendancy to place security restrictions on zip files downloaded from the internet in the past, which have needed manual ''unblocking'' in some cases. I have WinZip installed too, and that needs an update (still on v20), but I disable it's system startup bloat by default.
[UPDATE]: In my case, it's the Anti-Virus that seems to be the problem.

Temporarily disabled live scanning, wiped the portable settings and tried to set-up again, and everything installed, without error, on the first pass.

I did notice that real-time scanning was set to "All Files". Can't remember whether this was set by default or whether I chose this option. Set it to "Program Files & Documents" instead, and restarted the system to make sure it stuck. Now I'm getting a black screen when I try and install Titan Beta, but I do at least know with Real-time scanning turned completely off, it works as intended. More testing is needed as McAfee's UI isn't the easiest to navigate (i.e: Hide the advanced stuff from the idiot consumer), and I can't, at this time, see any option to turn off or customize on-access scanning.

I did initially try excluding the Kodi install folder from scheduled scans (Including the portable_data folder), this had no effect. It would appear that exclusions in this manner have no effect on what the real-time scanner scans. I pretty much knew that this would probably be so, but tried it just in case.

So at this stage I'm guessing that as the new add-on manager in Kodi creates folders and files as part of the addon extraction process, McAfee / Windows is locking those folders & files in order to perform a scan of the contents, which then blocks Kodi from moving those files & folders to their intended destinations at the time it wishes to do so. This would go someway to explaining why successive retries seems to work (at least in the end). I guess this wasn't an issue in previous Kodi versions, because the addon handling was somewhat different.

The target for me is now finding some middle-ground where both can co-exist without problems and without reducing my system security. Switching to another AV scanner isn't an option.
@gibxxi
I somewhat did the same test with disable the avast AV completly to try if that would do the trick, but it didn't.
Same error message and can't install any addons.
(2017-01-16, 17:07)w0rn Wrote: @gibxxi
I somewhat did the same test with disable the avast AV completly to try if that would do the trick, but it didn't.
Same error message and can't install any addons.

You might want to clear out your metadata folder before attempting a test. i.e: if your running default, remove the <%AppData%\Kodi> folder completely. I've found that leftovers can have a bearing. If you don't want to do this, try clearing out the "Temp" folder as there may be partial files left over. If running portable, you can totally remove the <portable_data> folder in Kodi's install directory to start clean.

Alternatively, you could do a completely clean install on that login, as uninstalling will ask you whether to remove the active profile folder (%AppData%\Kodi) as well.

If all this fails, then your initial suspicion that your Windows profile name may be an issue, may be the case after all. The AV seems to be my issue, at any rate.
Thank you for the tips @gibxxi, that is things that I've already tried, without any luck.
As this is not my main comp for Kodi it wasn't a problem for me to do whatever I wanted to try it out, think that I have uninstalled and wiped the %appdata% 7-8 times now and done an fresh install after that.
PMFJI, but I was scanning the debug log and noticed something that seemed strange to me:
Code:
21:30:17.247 T:9892   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(1050E918) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marcelveldt/repository.marcelveldt/master/script.skin.helper.backgrounds/script.skin.helper.backgrounds-1.0.13.zip
21:30:17.654 T:9892   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(1050D490) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marcelveldt/repository.marcelveldt/master/script.module.simplecache/script.module.simplecache-1.0.11.zip
21:30:17.679 T:9892   DEBUG: Unpacking zip://special%3A%2F%2Fhome%2Faddons%2Fpackages%2Fscript.module.simplecache-1.0.11.zip/script.module.simplecache/ to D:\Kodi Media Center\portable_data\addons\temp\df07e796-3129-4d05-b789-956c4df3f574
21:30:17.693 T:9892   ERROR: Failed to rename file/directory \\?\D:\Kodi Media Center\portable_data\addons\temp\df07e796-3129-4d05-b789-956c4df3f574 to \\?\D:\Kodi Media Center\portable_data\addons\script.module.simplecache, Error: (null)

In the same thread it first tries to open add-on script.skin.helper.backgrounds but then immediately tries to open add-on script.module.simplecache (from the online zip file download location), which then ends up failing. Maybe it's nothing but it just doesn't seem like it should work this way to me. It you look at the other add-ons that are installed/enabled, you see the flow (as logged) is different.

scott s.
(2017-01-16, 18:07)w0rn Wrote: Thank you for the tips @gibxxi, that is things that I've already tried, without any luck.
As this is not my main comp for Kodi it wasn't a problem for me to do whatever I wanted to try it out, think that I have uninstalled and wiped the %appdata% 7-8 times now and done an fresh install after that.

Likewise. I also ignored my own advice in rolling out the Betas to all my systems, thinking everything was pretty stable post Beta-6. After I repeatedly told myself prior, I'd avoid all the pain, and wait for a proper release too.

At the end of the day, the Music Db updates were too much of a lure.

Wink

Gib.
(2017-01-16, 21:46)scott967 Wrote: PMFJI, but I was scanning the debug log and noticed something that seemed strange to me:
Code:
21:30:17.247 T:9892   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(1050E918) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marcelveldt/repository.marcelveldt/master/script.skin.helper.backgrounds/script.skin.helper.backgrounds-1.0.13.zip
21:30:17.654 T:9892   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(1050D490) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marcelveldt/repository.marcelveldt/master/script.module.simplecache/script.module.simplecache-1.0.11.zip
21:30:17.679 T:9892   DEBUG: Unpacking zip://special%3A%2F%2Fhome%2Faddons%2Fpackages%2Fscript.module.simplecache-1.0.11.zip/script.module.simplecache/ to D:\Kodi Media Center\portable_data\addons\temp\df07e796-3129-4d05-b789-956c4df3f574
21:30:17.693 T:9892   ERROR: Failed to rename file/directory \\?\D:\Kodi Media Center\portable_data\addons\temp\df07e796-3129-4d05-b789-956c4df3f574 to \\?\D:\Kodi Media Center\portable_data\addons\script.module.simplecache, Error: (null)

In the same thread it first tries to open add-on script.skin.helper.backgrounds but then immediately tries to open add-on script.module.simplecache (from the online zip file download location), which then ends up failing. Maybe it's nothing but it just doesn't seem like it should work this way to me. It you look at the other add-ons that are installed/enabled, you see the flow (as logged) is different.

scott s.

There is a problem with skin.helper.backgrounds script, as currently (check out the Titan Beta thread) it's gobbling up memory like there's a sale on until the system runs out of memory and crashes Kodi. However, this only occurs if the Titan skin is loaded, as for me that's the only skin I have that makes use of that script. Waiting for an Update on this by Marcel. Until that happens, Titan is unusable in Krypton.

I would however say that addon failiures were happening regardless. Even with the default Estuary skin loaded. I've mitigated 90% of it by relaxing the scanning priority in McAfee and setting the scan to "Programs & Documents only", but the issue isn't completely eradicated. Some addon dependancies are still failing, and this is from addons in the main Kodi repo, although not nearly as much as before where literally EVERY addon that required a dependancy download was failing right off the bat.

It might be an idea for the Kodi devs to implement some kind of timeout in their new addon manager to attempt to mitigate (temporarily) locked folders, like a limited number of retries or something. I can't even be sure this wasn't an issue back in Jarvis 16.1. It might be that with the new addon manager, the issue is being brought to the foreground whereas before it was unnoticed. I have seen addons in the "Available Updates" section on Jarvis that for some reason didn't get applied at the first time of asking, but it wasn't as universal as what I'm seeing in Krypton. Go figure.

Gib.
(2017-01-14, 19:57)Martijn Wrote: Could you guys please try this build http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...theory.exe

and give the log when it happens? Might need to remove the addon that updated to trigger it again.

Tried disabling the antivirus software on the RC3, but nothing changed... (I'm using ESET Antivirus)
Installed this version, antivirus still disabled, but the same happens... Here is the log, I tried installing Trakt and Super Subtitles...
http://pastebin.com/HxTNtjzB

Thanks
@w0rn your issue with username is a separate issue that I'm working on fixing, I managed to reproduce it from this thread or a trac ticket you filed? Everything's a bit blurred currently.

@gibxxi That's good news that disabling the antivirus solved it. Now we know the cause, just trying to figure out how to work around it as disabling antivirus isn't a workable solution no matter how much I loathe them Smile

I started a test build that should be called addon_fix1 available in a little while here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32/ . It would be great if @gibxxi and anyone else having the antivirus issue can try it out and see if there's any difference. This build won't solve your issue @w0rn so you don't need to test it unless you really want to.

/nitpick I specifically wrote 3rd party antivirus as defender is included and very seldom cause any issues like the brand name ones as they're much more aggressive in their scanning/intrusiveness Smile
The janitor, cleaner of cruft, defender of style. Also known as the unfunny guy that doesn't understand signatures.
Can any one offer some advice,I downloaded RC3 and there were already add on listed in the program i don't know if it comes with it preinstalled or not but anyway every add on i try to install fails,any updates fail,the program then locks
up and i half to reset my PC and start all over and it does the same thing.I have a rather strong desktop and my goal is to stream to tvs in my house.I am still a novice and i had a friend recommend this to me so i have been playing and testing different things.Also are there any repositories that are legitimate and worth placing on the program,i noticed one website had like 30 or more.Last but not least is there a pdf that can help walk thru some of the features
in 17rc3.
Thanks
@rkrisi your issue is the same one as @w0rn so no need to test the build I mentioned, I'll let you know once I have something for your issue
The janitor, cleaner of cruft, defender of style. Also known as the unfunny guy that doesn't understand signatures.
(2017-01-17, 20:08)Paxxi Wrote: @rkrisi your issue is the same one as @w0rn so no need to test the build I mentioned, I'll let you know once I have something for your issue

Thanks for help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v17 RC Add-on problems0