Android Egreat A5 & A10 w/HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 (3D / 4K / HD Audio)
I have two, they can send me a test device and I'll gladly test and do a review for them :p
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-01-06, 23:38)hdmkv Wrote: Wonder if Dolby Vision is really supported though... anyone have a TV w/Dolby Vision?

Got OneTongue

Really wondering if this support Dolby Vision, it will be the first media player in market.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Subject to further confirmation discussions with @Trigu75 I am seriously considering locking and then very likely trashing this thread due to ongoing VidOn GPL compliance issues. From previous Email discussions with @Trigu75 the Kodi source code published on GitHub is not what ends up in VidOn's - sold for profit - Kodi version. (VidOn have even stated this themselves in various forum posts)

You only need to look at the last Code commit date to realise VidOn are up to their same old tricks once again.
Quote:Latest commit 4708389 on Jun 29, 2016

It really is not fair to Kodi Software developers, the Kodi community and other Kodi Hardware vendors to have Hardware discussed on a Kodi forum who's primary means of Video Playback uses and supports, (via payment) - modded XBMC / Kodi software that abuses all that Kodi stands for. That being ongoing Open Source (GPL) collaborative software development.

The Kodi Open Source collaborative project codebase is all Free volunteer work. We will not stand idly by and let any company run roughshod over GPL compliance rules just to sell Kodi compatible hardware to end users. That is not on at all.

This thread is on borrowed time. I'm posting as a fair warning to everyone.

@wrxtasy, can you detail what Egreat and VidOn need to do to be GPL compliant? What source code needs to be on GitHub? Here's what I was told by one of the testers of this box (as some of this stuff is beyond my understanding)...

Quote:Are 2 VidonXMBC fork one for Vidon and other for Egreat
Topic is Android - Egreat A5 & A10 w/HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 (3D / 4K / HD Audio), and not paid VidonXMBC version.

VidonXMBC is FREE version for owner of Egreat A10/A5 same FREE like ZDMC is for Zidoo owner of X8/X9s, both Egreat VidonXMBC / ZDMC have hardware dependence and can't run in other device with some SoC without modification / patching.

I think a need it source on Git is for Egreat VidonXMBC, some like Zidoo did / didn't on they git for X8/X9s?
I'm all most sure nobody try to make ZDMC build running in other Realtek to see if audio HD is working.
For RockChip made a lot of effort to remove software protection and get running in other brand.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Lets digress a bit.....

The HiSilicon Hardware media player users (Himedia, Zidoo) ultimately want a native Kodi version so they can stop messing about with external media players interfaced with a Kodi frontend. External players that then need a bunch of Software development and still have some Kodi media player functionality missing.

All three vendors are now duplicating, or trying to duplicate Kodi native media player functionality to varying degrees. There is a lot of un-neccessary duplicated work now going on with HiSilicon media player platforms to ensure Kodi compatibility.

The Kodi Open Source project is all about a collaborative coding effort, with everyone working together for the betterment of the entire project and ultimately end Kodi users. But first you have to publish modified Kodi code on Github to share with others so they can then build on your ideas.

VidOn know exactly what they are doing. They have added, and imbedded functionality like full Bluray Menu's to their Kodi Jarvis version. As such they have modified Kodi master code. The GPL license that Kodi code was distributed under stipulates they must publish on Github and share that code once modifications are made, when requested. This is written in black and white. There are no grey areas here.

The extra work VidOn puts into their modded version of Kodi is what their entire business model is built on. They don't want to share code for the betterment of the entire Kodi project for their competitors to use and then improve upon. This is completely at odds with what the GPL rules stipulate.

Its one of the reasons why HiMedia and Zidoo with their Kodi media players are using external player software to interface with HiSilicon Hardware. They do not needs to share their custom coding secrets then because no GPL code distribution rules need to be satisfied.

@hdmkv, VidOn need to publish up to date modded Kodi code that they are using to build their Kodi Jarvis App. The code contained in the VidOn App that is used on this Egreat A5/10 media player. Its very simple to do.

They had multiple warnings in the past about this very subject and each time come up with all sorts of lame excuses. They have even threatened to sue me (from China) I recall over calling them out last time. That was pretty funny. Wink

Published code dated Jun 29, 2016 is frankly a Joke. Its nothing better than raising the middle finger to the entire Kodi Open Source project !

@wrxtasy, thanks for making that clearer... your message has been relayed to eGreat. I'm hoping they join here and comment, or some action happens on theirs or VidOn's part to share their most recent VidOn XBMC work.

BTW, Zidoo isn't using HiSilicon SoC, but Realtek's. But, they've shared source code.

Edit: Recent GitHub activity by Zidoo.
My Family Room Theater
Ha, even I cannot keep up with all these Android 3D media player releases and cross reference what they are packing internally.
So 3D TV's have been killed off and new 3D ISO players are popping up in the market each month. Go figure. The timing seems all wrong !

Yes HiMedia and Zidoo are completely fine. The have played by the rules all the time I've been reading about their products Smile

This GPL violation is getting a little bit too old..
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
What just because you now have a A5 device you think we should make an exemption for VidOn and Egreat and go easy on them ?

You do realise if everyone did not publish modded Kodi GPL code and comply with GPL rules the Kodi project would go absolutely no where.

Is that what you would like every developer and company to do, create a walled and fortified codebase Kingdom with no sharing of ideas ?

I think VidOn are worried that their competitor will use their Kodi and then they will longer be unique, i think Kodi and VidOn should come to some form of agreement,the only reason why i see VidOn not releasing source is because of their BD J technology..

What if VidOn release their source code exclusive Kodi Dev?

PS: for your information i don't have the eGreat but i am still using my VidOn box for BD J content.
(2017-01-09, 03:18)movie78 Wrote: I think VidOn are worried that their competitor will use their Kodi and then they will longer be unique, i think Kodi and VidOn should come to some form of agreement,the only reason why i see VidOn not releasing source is because of their BD J technology..
Yes I agree that would be the ideal situation, but that tech would have to be freely available to add to the Kodi project...

Apologies for misreading "Got One". Wink

VidOn should not have chosen to ride on the coat tails of already freely distributed Kodi code, developed by volunteers all in their spare time and then make modifications to it and then sell that code as a VidOn App for profit, without complying by the GPL distribution rules.

They should be selling an entirely seperate, external movie player App, developed from the ground up like Zidoo or HiMedia. But that would take time, and they don't want to do that as that's the expensive and hard option.

@Koying & @MrMC are the main Android Kodi Jarvis devs who's code is being violated.

You can see where this thread is going to end up, and Egreat themselves will not be happy. Not one bit.

Well, looks like this thread should be locked Sad ...

Response from eGreat:
Quote:VidonXBMC had oprimized based on very old XBMC version. Vidon did have paid much on VidonXBMC development, so we won't open source of our Egreat A5/A10 VidonXBMC. It is really not fair for us to open this.
My Family Room Theater
Hello hdmk,

too bad, it's a good device.
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

VidOn should just release their source code to only the Kodi Dev if the are worried about their competitors in China.
(2017-01-08, 03:12)wrxtasy Wrote: Lets digress a bit.....

The HiSilicon Hardware media player users (Himedia, Zidoo) ultimately want a native Kodi version so they can stop messing about with external media players interfaced with a Kodi frontend. External players that then need a bunch of Software development and still have some Kodi media player functionality missing.

All three vendors are now duplicating, or trying to duplicate Kodi native media player functionality to varying degrees. There is a lot of un-neccessary duplicated work now going on with HiSilicon media player platforms to ensure Kodi compatibility.

Zidoo have never released a HiSilicon chipset product. X9S is based on Realtek 1295.

As to 'messing about with external players', Kodi internal player has never worked well in Android (any hardware) so a solution where Kodi is used as a front end with a hardware player handling video is preferable, particularly with the current poor state of Android Kodi 17. Having a 'native Kodi version' is a route various manufacturers have tried that always ends up with customers being locked into a pre-installed out of date Kodi version with no upgrade path.

Egreat A5 is like a buggy HiMedia Q10 Pro. The firmware we've tested was of a poor standard and I have my doubts about Egreat's ongoing tech support.

The A5 BD-ISO menu feature has already been replicated in an unoffocial way on HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro. The hacked HiMedia 1.0.8 firmware is widely available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Egreat A5 & A10 w/HiSilicon Hi3798C V200 (3D / 4K / HD Audio)1