v17 Kodi on Fedora and DVD
Hi

I installed Kodi on a Intel NUC following these instructions
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...n_packages

The problem is that this system can't play DVDs, i.e. VIDEO_TS folders. The log gives
ERROR: Unable to load /usr/lib64/kodi/system/players/VideoPlayer/libdvdnav-x86_64-linux.so, reason: /usr/lib64/kodi/system/players/VideoPlayer/libdvdnav-x86_64-linux.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I then installed libdvdread and libdvdnav using dnf install. That didn't make any difference. In fact the /usr/lib64/kodi/system directory doesn't contain any subdirectories.

Did I miss something in the instructions or is it that they aren't complete?
Fedora packages are not done by team kodi. Similar to many distros, they usually build with external libdvd, which breaks playback. In this case it seems that they build without libdvd or something else is wrong on your system.

You'll have to report this to the rpmfusion kodi maintainers or build kodi from source yourself.
In the spirit of closing the loop, this thread discusses the same issue as Linux - Kodi 17 not seeing optical drive.
Thanks for the info

Perhaps a section of known limitation would be a good thing in the wiki
(2017-01-08, 10:08)Deriv Wrote: Thanks for the info

Perhaps a section of known limitation would be a good thing in the wiki

I'll do somewhat better than that: The HOW-TO:Install Kodi on Fedora 25 using RPMFusion packages Wiki has been updated to contain a section showing how to rebuild Kodi from the RPMFusion source-RPM with DVD playback re-enabled. Of-course, to keep folks like wsnipex happy Wink , this uses the libdvd{css,nav,read} modules provided by Team Kodi themselves in their Github repos.

It works for me to play TS_VIDEO directories, with navigation etc. I don't have an optical drive in my Kodi box so I cannot test that - I'd appreciate feedback on how that works for you.

Thanks for originally raising this situation to my attention. I play SD media so rarely that I hadn't caught onto it myself.
Awesome!

I can confirm that the instructions work and that I ended up with working system that can at least play DVDs. Haven't had time yet to test much else.
I don't have a optical drive either, so I don't know about that. My DVDs are on a file server.
BTW how does one update the system when new versions of kodi are released?
(2017-01-12, 23:07)Deriv Wrote: BTW how does one update the system when new versions of kodi are released?

You'll have to manually monitor the RPMFusion updates-source repository for updated versions of the Source RPM that you originally rebuilt Kodi with. This is because source RPMs aren't managed by dnf/rpm the same way installation RPMs are. They are not tracked, and so when you do something like dnf update, it won't detect any source updates. Actually, you'll notice that when you installed the Source RPM, you used the rpm tool, and not dnf.

Once you see that an updated source RPM exists, you can simply repeat the process in the Wiki to rebuild Kodi from sources (ensuring that you use the URL to the new source RPM instead of what was indicated in the wiki). Before you do that you'll probably want to delete (or better-yet, rename) the ~/rpmbuild directory, so you start off with a fresh source-tree. Also note that when you are ready to install the updated RPM you just built, there is a chance you may have to first uninstall the old one. This depends on whether the version-tag in the new source RPM was incremented or not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Fedora and DVD0