Req Chatter protection for input devices
Kodi should enable users to compensate for electric chatter of their input devices.

Motivation:
I'm using a mele F10 deluxe for two years now and the OK button started to exhibit an electric chatter malfunction.
So when clicking a YouTube video, two play requests are send to Kodi.
These do interfere and typically lead to both being aborted.
This is pretty annoying.

I thought about adding a new setting named Settings > Input > Minimum key hit delay: 100 ms
If the same key is pressed within this period, then that key press will be ignored.
A setting of 0 ms would thus disable the new feature.
Users with malfunctioning devices can increase the threshold until the problem disappears.

I volunteer to implement this for Kodi 18.0 and started this post to collect comments and related ideas.
This is not the way it should be done imo. I am an engineer and i normally find really clear words if someone wants such workarounds to be implemented.
My statement is - we don't add code to Kodi just because of users have crappy hardware.
So while i am happy whenever someone wants to contribute to Kodi. I have the feeling you will have a hard time to get your work added.

But lets see if there are other opinions.

Instead - open the remote clean the contacts with some alcohol and get it working again. If that doesn't help try to find the capacitor that is normally there for debouncing buttons and replace it (might be a hard task todo i know).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Also debouncing is a time critical method. It can be done in microcontroller code maybe - but due to unpredictable timing in most high level operating systems it is not ensured that it will work 100% all the time.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-01-08, 12:23)Memphiz Wrote: ... we don't add code to Kodi just because of users have crappy hardware.
Well thanks for your up-front assessment and your warning.

At my work, we have to spend a painful amount of effort to work around (driver) bugs of hardware components we have to use and that are perfectly suited for the job apart from that or just without alternative. So that is a very familiar szenario for me.

The mele F10, as well as other air mouse / wifi keypads, is a quite popular device with a lot of positive reviews (at that time). It just turned out to become "crappy" after some time if you will. I assume other users with this and other devices will run into the same issue sooner or later.

If so, I hope they will stumble over this post and announce their need for this fix.

(2017-01-08, 12:23)Memphiz Wrote: Instead - open the remote clean the contacts with some alcohol and get it working again. If that doesn't help try to find the capacitor that is normally there for debouncing buttons and replace it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. But from cleaning other TV remotes, I learned that the goo finds its way back inside after just a few weeks.

(2017-01-08, 12:25)Memphiz Wrote: Also debouncing is a time critical method. It can be done in microcontroller code maybe - but due to unpredictable timing in most high level operating systems it is not ensured that it will work 100% all the time.
I'm well aware of that. Given that users hardly ever click more than 5 buttons a second, let alone 10, I assume there is plenty of buffer time to distinguish bouncing from double clicks. In any case I won't propose anything that doesn't work exactly as expected.

If the PR is not accepted, I'll (be somewhat disappointed but) keep it as patch for myself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chatter protection for input devices0