v17 Problem with resolution / too big images
Hello guys,

I installed kodi v17 beta 6 yesterday.
Everything is working nicely, so I am very satisfied, thank you a lot.

I tested the Estuary Skin a time ago (and there are plenty of screenshot around in the web)
so i know, that the images should fit on the screen, like here for instance (first google image result):

But in my case, it looks like this:

All in all, it looks very "over-zoomed" - the menu items on the left, the category-selection on the top and the movie images, especially the cut on the images on the right screen border.
The look in thshows and music is exactly the same.
Even if the images are bigger in my case, it doesnt look very nice because it doesnt fit the screen.

I doubt it is a resolution problem or else, because the "Settings" view is displayed normally and all elements fit the screen:

I tried googlin around to find somewhat setting or else where I could redefine the size and padding of the images (or at least the number of images displayed) but I could not find any.

May you please provide help on how I could fix this and bring back some "fullscreen"-view?
I did not attach any logs, but if you find the useful please say so, then I will provide them.

thanks in advance

best regards
as you might have noticed, Estuary got a facelift based on user wishes. One of them was bigger fonts for better readability etc. Now, when the fonts are bigger and you'd like to see the same amount of characters below a movie poster, the posters also have to scale up. This is was happened. It's no broken setting on your side or anything, just the updated look of Estuary.

edit: the old version of Estuary can be installed from the add-on repository IIRC, so if you prefer the old look and don't mind the smaller font size, use that.
hi

thanks for answering!
No, i didnt notice - REALLY?!
Thanks for pointing out....
Quote: Now, when the fonts are bigger and you'd like to see the same amount of characters below a movie poster, the posters also have to scale up.
? I do not see any font below a movie poster in standard view...

Mhm, personally I find it is a horrible facelift.
In my opinion it would have been a FAR better solution to leave the layout as standard which fits the screen (as any other software does nowadays)
and provide some "small screen layout"-addon for those few who use smaller screens and are not willing to buy themselves glasses.
And not vice versa - in times where almost anyone has 40"-plus TV size ...

Ok, so I have to stick to the old layout (which I doubt that it is being updated in the future, but anyway).

Unfortunetaly I do not find the old estuary in official kodi repository, can you please give me a hint?

thanks buddy

best regards
The only way to get the old look back is install the mod based on the original version, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=267343
Btw the posters going partially off screen is a well used GUI design technique to provide a visual hint that you can scroll in that direction without the use of scrollbars/arrows, so our our case it shows you can scroll off to the right or down to see more items.
thx for answer.
I did add guilouz repo and switched back, as it is repo there is no need to manually update in the future.
thx for that, this solves my problem!
ty

some thoughts:
you're right, it is a well used technique - and it is good,
if done in sections but not the whole GUI, and if there is no space left to show all content.

If you look at the top-bar:
The new layout has some descriptive text beyond the symbols, which the old one lacks of, this is a great improvement.
But the new topbar is bloated with dead space because the same column layout has been used as for movie posters,
and on the right border it floats off the screen, as well as the movie posters do.
And on the border, they do not fade (as they do bottom-side).
This creates the effect of over-zoomed or broken view.

As small as the top-bar button images and their text are, it should be possible to put even 2 buttons in one column if no new column layout is possible,
this should do to place all needed buttons and the menubar float-off effect disappears.

Same for the left-side menubar:
Lots of dead space, little content text and bottom float-off.
You could leave the font-size as big as is if someone really needs the menu to be big and not only the content,
but reduce the height of the menuitems by ~25%.
Enough room and all is good to go.

Then the partially-go-off-screen-behaviour for the content (movies, tvshows, whatever) is absolutelty great and not over-used.

ty, br
Remember that we have many international users who don't use English as the GUI language, so what may seem like dead space in fact provides breathing space for translations which can be longer than the default English.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with resolution / too big images0