rpi3 hdmi sound problem
Hello all,
I bought a rpi3 a few days ago and set it up as Kodi media player (tried osmc and openelec)
In general it works great. However I found one issue with my set up.
I have PS4 connected to my TV via HDMI1, rpi3 kodi (openelec or osmc, tried both) connected to my TV via HDMI2, receiver connected to my TV via coaxial cable (digital input from TV).

Situation 1:
RPI3 hdmi cable is unplugged. I use PS4 through HDMI1. The sound goes to TV speakers (which are shit and I don't want to use them) as well as to the receiver speakers through coaxial digital output from TV. All good

Situation 2:
Both PS4 and RPI3 are connected to tv via hdmi1 and hdmi2. I use rpi3 Kodi on osmc (or openelec, no difference). The sound from rpi comes to TV speakers only but not to the receiver speakers.

Situation 3:
Both PS4 and RPI3 are connected to tv via hdmi1 and hdmi2. I use PS4. The sound goes to TV speakers only. Not to the receiver. But as soon as I unplug the hdmi cable from the rpi3 receiver gets sound.

Situation 4: if I hook up my laptop to hdmi2 port instead of rpi3 both PS4 and Laptop work ok on receiver.

I reckon the rpi3 sends something to my TV over hdmi to disable the TV's digital output. No idea what and how this possible.
Couldn't find anything about the issue in the internet.

Could anyone give me a tip what It can be and how I can fix that?

Thanks in advance
The only mechanism I could imagine where Pi could interact with how TV outputs audio is CEC.
Does disabling CEC in system/input/periperal/cec settings make a difference?
You may want to power off all equipment (from mains) after doing this as TV's often remember CEC state.
Hi,
Yes, I disabled CEC in settings as well as in config.txt. Didn't help. I haven't turned the TV down completely. I'll try it tonight. Hope it will work.
The issue is that officially my TV doesn't support CEC so I can't switch the function off on TV side.
Is there any way to delete the CEC from rpi configuration completely?
Update for my problem.
Decided to use 3.5 jack to RCA output for video and audio to avoid sound being disconnected from the receiver.

I disconnected the HDMI cable completely from rpi3 and from TV as well. Plug new camcoder cable into rpi3 jack 3.5 output. And when I connect one of the RCA ends to my TV, TV audio digital output (I use for the receiver) stops working! exactly the same situation as I had with the HDMI cable.
I can sum up that the issue is definitely not with HDMI CEC signals I thought earlier. But the issue is 100% with rpi3 (I tested 2 laptops, 2 cables, 2 HDMI ports on TV and PS4 - no issues).

Can it be that my rpi3 has some issues with the ground? some current leakage to the common wire internally in rpi? Not big enough to stop rpi from running buy enough to interfere with tv digital output when rpi3 is connected with HDMI or jack 3.5.
I can't think of anything else so far.
Can you test with a different TV?
Do you know someone else with a Pi? Trying with a different Pi may be interesting.
Did you make changes to the config.txt to send A/V via composite when you tried the camcorder wire, Ive also heard of not all 4 pin A/V leads to RCA don't work in Pi's. Double check your audio in system menu but if you get audio through TV but not to sound system I wouldn't think it would be your Pi.
Finally! I found the solution for my problem.
Decided to post here as it can be helpful to someone else.

I have bought another rpi3 for testing. New rpi3 had the same issue as the old one. Then I measured the voltage between ground on the rpi3 and my TV. It was 90V AC!!! The power supply of rpi3 had an interference with the supply voltage and provide both 5V DC together with AC voltage through the ground. So I got a new power supply. Now the AC voltage between TV ground and rpi3 ground is around 30V AC. Sound output from TV works and I finally can enjoy movies with a good sound. Smile
As I understand the 'side' AC voltage coming from the dodgy power supply stuffs the TV Audio output through HDMI ground.
Took me a while to find this out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
rpi3 hdmi sound problem0