Is it possible to exit app back to kodi?
So I know its possible to launch android apps from Kodi, but is it possible to exit those apps and fall back to Kodi?

Im thinking this would be a perfectly acceptable workaround than trying to shoehorn apps like netflix and pandora into Kodi as addons. Its already 50% there with Kodi being able to launch, would love to hear I can do it in reverse.

Another thought that came to mind is treat Kodi as the "home screen" so if you hit the home button or exit an app it opens to "home" which is Kodi. Have the true homescreen launchable via kodi as an "app" . I dont know if this is remotely possible but im just trying to think outside the box if going in reverse is not possible.

Any thoughts?
It should already work that way. If you launch the app from withing Kodi and press the back button to exit out of the app you should be back into Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
That is exactly how it works (except in Netflix, you have to hit the exit button, and not just hit the back button).

Using the Nvidia Shield TV, I have shortcuts in Kodi for Netflix, Hulu, and some Games. When exiting any of these, I am back in Kodi.

It's actually a pretty sweet setup.
I've made myself a word file with all kinds of instructions on setting up Kodi on a Shield TV (as I have many co-workers who are now using one), and this is one of the steps...

11. How to Launch Netflix from within Kodi:
So you can launch any Android app on your Shield TV, by going to ProgramsAndroid programs, then make the App a Favorite. You can also create a shortcut for these apps, so you can launch them from your home screen within Kodi (Need a Skin like Aeon MQ7 to do this). The best part is, when you exit the application, you are automatically back within Kodi.
(2017-01-09, 23:01)Tinwarble Wrote: It should already work that way. If you launch the app from withing Kodi and press the back button to exit out of the app you should be back into Kodi.

(2017-01-09, 23:13)Powerhouse Wrote: That is exactly how it works (except in Netflix, you have to hit the exit button, and not just hit the back button).

Using the Nvidia Shield TV, I have shortcuts in Kodi for Netflix, Hulu, and some Games. When exiting any of these, I am back in Kodi.

Thats awesome. My vision is to have menu options for Netlfix, Amazon, an emulator front end of some sort (gamesome or advanced launcher if it supports android in kodi), Pandora, Live TV/DVR (if tvheadend can ever come through with their drm solution), and then your normal Kodi Movies and TV shows libraries.

This would finally fulfill my one device to run everything dream. Possibly even run the shield into the hdmi in on my xbox one so i dont have to change inputs on the avr. really excited to move on to this over my fire tv stick setup now lol
(2017-01-09, 23:13)Powerhouse Wrote: That is exactly how it works (except in Netflix, you have to hit the exit button, and not just hit the back button).

Thats awesome. My vision is to have menu options for Netlfix, Amazon, an emulator front end of some sort (gamesome or advanced launcher if it supports android in kodi), Pandora, Live TV/DVR (if tvheadend can ever come through with their drm solution), and then your normal Kodi Movies and TV shows libraries.

This would finally fulfill my one device to run everything dream. Possibly even run the shield into the hdmi in on my xbox one so i dont have to change inputs on the avr. really excited to move on to this over my fire tv stick setup now lol
[/quote]

On the emulator front Retroplayer is now merged in Kodi 18 , there is a 17 build based on beta7 and may be a final v17 version when ist fully released
(2017-01-09, 23:16)Powerhouse Wrote: I've made myself a word file with all kinds of instructions on setting up Kodi on a Shield TV (as I have many co-workers who are now using one), and this is one of the steps...

11. How to Launch Netflix from within Kodi:
So you can launch any Android app on your Shield TV, by going to ProgramsAndroid programs, then make the App a Favorite. You can also create a shortcut for these apps, so you can launch them from your home screen within Kodi (Need a Skin like Aeon MQ7 to do this). The best part is, when you exit the application, you are automatically back within Kodi.

HHi PowerHouse , are you willing to share the word doc ?

Many Thanks

Matt
If you're referring to how to launch apps from the Kodi main menu screen, then it's the same as I posted 2yrs ago for Aeon Nox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTDmPo8DLg

Doing this is skin dependent.

Quote:You can add individual apps to the main menu by using the "StartAndroidActivity" function.

Go to System - Appearance - Skin (Settings) - Custumizer (Main menu item customizer)

Then on the Main menu, select the item you want to add as a custom menu item and select it. If if has a red X on it, then select "disable" to enable it, then select "Choose Type".

Now select "Custom" and in the keyboard box type in:
StartAndroidActivity("your.app.folder.name")

So for example Netflix would be:
StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja") - which is for the new AFTV or Android TV Netflix app.

You can do this for either the main menu item or for sub-menu items.

You can also add "Android Apps" to the main menu by adding.

ActivateWindow(10001,"androidapp://source/apps/",return)

or

ActivateWindow(Programs,androidapp://source/apps/,return)

Keep in mind, not all Android apps allow you to "exit" out of the app. So you will [may] not be able to exit back into Kodi with all apps.

Youtube is one app that doesn't allow you to exit out, however you can use alternate apps like Protube which will let you exit back

Here's some app folder naming:

Hulu Plus - (“com.hulu.plus”)
Netflix – (“org.chromium.content_shell_apK”)
Crackle – (“com.gotv.crackle.handset”)
Dead Trigger 2 – (“com.madfingergames.deadtrigger2”)
iHeart Radio – (“com.clearchannel.iheartradio.tv”)
Asphalt 8 – (“com.gameloft.android.AMAZ.GloftA8AS”)
Flixter – (“net.flixter.android”)
Vimeo – (“com.vimeo.android.tv”)
Walking Dead S1 – (“com.telltalegames.walkingdead100”)
Vevo – (“com.vevo.tv”)
Pandora – (“com.pandora.android.gtv”)
Beach Buggy Racing – (“com.vectorunit.purple.amazon”)
Riptide – (“com.vectorunit.redamazon”)
VTube (Youtube) – (“com.vtube.protube”)
Table Top Racing – (“com.playrisedigital.ttra”)
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-10, 15:39)flipside101 Wrote:

On the emulator front Retroplayer is now merged in Kodi 18 , there is a 17 build based on beta7 and may be a final v17 version when ist fully released
[/quote]

I saw that, but on the wiki it says they are still working on mupen64, psp, and dolphin. But then Gamesome doesnt look like it supports Dolphin right now either. meh
mupen64 is the N64 emu isnt it , im sure thats now working check here - http://kodi.wiki/view/Game_add-ons#Libretro_cores

Sent from my SGP512
thanks tinwarble, ill work though it and see how i go.

Sent from my SGP512
(2017-01-10, 16:41)Tinwarble Wrote: If you're referring to how to launch apps from the Kodi main menu screen, then it's the same as I posted 2yrs ago for Aeon Nox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMTDmPo8DLg

Doing this is skin dependent.

Quote:You can add individual apps to the main menu by using the "StartAndroidActivity" function.

Go to System - Appearance - Skin (Settings) - Custumizer (Main menu item customizer)

Then on the Main menu, select the item you want to add as a custom menu item and select it. If if has a red X on it, then select "disable" to enable it, then select "Choose Type".

Now select "Custom" and in the keyboard box type in:
StartAndroidActivity("your.app.folder.name")

So for example Netflix would be:
StartAndroidActivity("com.netflix.ninja") - which is for the new AFTV or Android TV Netflix app.

You can do this for either the main menu item or for sub-menu items.

You can also add "Android Apps" to the main menu by adding.

ActivateWindow(10001,"androidapp://source/apps/",return)

or

ActivateWindow(Programs,androidapp://source/apps/,return)

Keep in mind, not all Android apps allow you to "exit" out of the app. So you will [may] not be able to exit back into Kodi with all apps.

Youtube is one app that doesn't allow you to exit out, however you can use alternate apps like Protube which will let you exit back

Here's some app folder naming:

Hulu Plus - (“com.hulu.plus”)
Netflix – (“org.chromium.content_shell_apK”)
Crackle – (“com.gotv.crackle.handset”)
Dead Trigger 2 – (“com.madfingergames.deadtrigger2”)
iHeart Radio – (“com.clearchannel.iheartradio.tv”)
Asphalt 8 – (“com.gameloft.android.AMAZ.GloftA8AS”)
Flixter – (“net.flixter.android”)
Vimeo – (“com.vimeo.android.tv”)
Walking Dead S1 – (“com.telltalegames.walkingdead100”)
Vevo – (“com.vevo.tv”)
Pandora – (“com.pandora.android.gtv”)
Beach Buggy Racing – (“com.vectorunit.purple.amazon”)
Riptide – (“com.vectorunit.redamazon”)
VTube (Youtube) – (“com.vtube.protube”)
Table Top Racing – (“com.playrisedigital.ttra”)

Hi Tinwarble, Ok so with this I can add individual apps but is there a way I can add a user defined scrollable list of apps as a widget or am I asking a lot ? I can add my favourites folder but id liek to add an android Vid apps / Games etc as seperate lists
That I don't know. My intention was to integrate Android apps into the main menu.

It may be possible, but I haven't looked into doing that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to exit app back to kodi?0