AV Amplifier, 5.1 and HD sound formats
Hello,

I am currently running a Libreelec on a Pi2 via this particular amplifier:

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/au...mode=model

My backend server has a single DVB-S2 tuner and a dual DVB-T tuner.

I am in the UK, so I pick up Freesat and Freeview.

At the moment, all my HD recordings seem to play 5.1 in surround sound whenever available.

As I understand it, DVB-S2 transmit HD sound in Dolby Digital, which my amp has no problem dealing with this.

My question is this - I wanted to start increasing the number of HD channels I can record and was thinking of swapping the DVB-T tuner for a DVB-T2 tuner.

It seems, however, that DVB-T2 HD audio is in fact transmitted in AAC-LC.

Is my amplifier capable of playing Freeview HD recordings in 5.1?
There is no AAC passthrough.
Assuming you are connecting to the amp with HDMI, then set "Number of channels" in kodi to be "5.1" and it should play as multichannel PCM (using 5.1 channels).
Thanks for that.

So it is irrelevant that my amp is too old to decode the Freeview HD sound as there is no way that the ACC signal be passed through to the amp in any event?

I am indeed using HDMI.

Am I correct in thinking, therefore, that if DD is detected, it gets passed through to the amp for decoding and if it detects AAC the pi is powerful enough to decode it?
Yes, AAC will be decoded by the Pi and output as multichannel PCM, and the Pi2 has no problem with that.
There is generally zero difference in quality between passthrough and PCM.
That is great - thank you for confirming.

I was under the impression that I was going to have to upgrade my amplifier, just to get 5.1, from DVB-T2 recordings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AV Amplifier, 5.1 and HD sound formats0