Audiophile sound quality?
(2017-01-25, 15:29)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: Thanks for the info.
At the time of my investigation, there was the need for some hacking in order to make it work.

HifiBerry support was added to Pi kernel 3 years ago.
It's been supported out of the box by raspbian, OpenELEC, LibreELEC, OSMC for a long time.

(as are IQAudio, JustBoom and numerous other I2S cards).
Do we really fully support TAS5756 according to the enhanced features?
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau577a/slau577a.pdf
(2017-01-25, 14:04)S3nox Wrote: I have a RPi, official RPi touch screen and the Digi-amp all running some top end Rogers LS3/5a speakers. I can't recommend it highly enough.

http://iqaudio.co.uk/audio/9-pi-digiamp-...99650.html

Ah - happy memories of listening to LS3/5s in my early days at work. They are a lovely speaker.
I have a pi3 running KODI with a cheap (£15) dac based on ES9023 connected using i2s on the GPIO interface running into an ARCAM Delta60 and KEF speakers (80's vintage) and it sounded great but......I reconnected my old turntable (Dual 505) and dug out some vinyl....so much better. WTF.
Blind testing it using the same audio tracks (dark side of the moon: CD 44/16, SACD 88/24 & vinyl) with my son in law - he spotted the vinyl every time....open, expansive and so solid compared to the now "tinny" sound from the pi3/dac.The only differnce was the source. hmmmmmm

So I did some digging and tried out volumio. After a bit of messing in finding the right DAC configuration it fired up and WOW so much better - I blind tested it again and couldnt spot the difference......infact I preferred the pi most often. Big smile

now how can I get KODI audio quality on the raspberry pi to the same quality as volumioHuh??Huh
Well I am not the best person to talk about music in Kodi, because I mainly use it for videos, which is great, top quality in my experience, either with RPi or other systems via HDMI.
Using a DAC it may depend on many things. I am not familiar with Volumio either.
Assumming the source is the same, even if the systems are all Linux in the Pi, there might be kernel diferences between them for your DAC driver, kernel tunning for audio latency (Real-time Kernel, for example), it may depend on the audio stack (ALSA, PulseAudio, Jack, etc) you are using, the default equalizations presets, witch should be the same for all Linux systems, but Volumio, since it is a dedicated Linux Audio distribution it might have some modifications, etc.
(2017-05-10, 00:04)kevin939 Wrote: I have a pi3 running KODI with a cheap (£15) dac based on ES9023 connected using i2s on the GPIO interface running into an ARCAM Delta60 and KEF speakers (80's vintage) and it sounded great but......I reconnected my old turntable (Dual 505) and dug out some vinyl....so much better. WTF.
Blind testing it using the same audio tracks (dark side of the moon: CD 44/16, SACD 88/24 & vinyl) with my son in law - he spotted the vinyl every time....open, expansive and so solid compared to the now "tinny" sound from the pi3/dac.The only differnce was the source. hmmmmmm

So I did some digging and tried out volumio. After a bit of messing in finding the right DAC configuration it fired up and WOW so much better - I blind tested it again and couldnt spot the difference......infact I preferred the pi most often. Big smile

now how can I get KODI audio quality on the raspberry pi to the same quality as volumioHuh??Huh
It does not surprize me that you prefer analog (Dual 505 into pre-amp etc.) better than a £15 DAC. The DAC matters when it comes to digital sourced sound. But if find it baffling that Volumio to you sounds better than Kodi when played through this cheap DAC. ReallyHuh

So sorry I can't suggest what you need to do. I can say that Kodi on RPi3 into at Arcam irDAC , with bespoke power amp driving a pair of Magneplanar speakers sounds glorious Smile Smile

It amazes me every day that Kodi on £30 pi can be such a great media player, with audio quality any audiophile should be happy with. Of course the things that effect the sound like downstream of the Pi.
I must admit that I was somewhat surprised by how good the old analogue sounded and how poor by comparison Kodi sounded....blamed the DAC initially but after installing and configuring volumio I was much, much happier with the sound - as I said blind testing (switch back and forth between the analogue and the pi on the same track ) showed the improvement for me and my son in la

So why? Done a little digging and volumio is essentially a client to MPD running on raspbian (possibly modded kernel but unclear). So next step is to install MPD on the same raspbian installation that Kodi uses and then try another MPD client ....if that is better than Kodi then I would suggest its how Kodi drives the audio...
Are you playing exactly the same file on kodi and volumio?
To keep things simple can you reproduce the difference with, say, a wav file?
Are you sure Kodi is using the same volume as volumeio?
Ideally you want kodi volume on 100% for maximum dynamic range. Make sure amplification is off.
It is possible something like replaygain is causing an issue - e.g. pushing kodi into clipping (a wav file should avoid that possibility).
What is the sample rate of file? Are kodi and volumio both driving the audio card at the same sample rate?
same file on volumio and on kodi....flac encoded
volume was an intersing thing but did get both to the same level and the aalogue (analogue treates as the refernce/baseline)
I thiink he volume was 100% - its the raspberry volume as far as I can see)
sample rates were standard CD (44mhz/16bit) and HD from a SACD (88mhz/24bit). I assume both kodi & volumeio take notice of the sampel rate and pass it on to the card to handle....

Just installed mpd on the same pi, workng but so far havnt managed to do a blind test against analogue

[kodi has now stopped working - wont start [Sinks/AESinkPi.cpp:200: virtual bool CAESinkPi::Initialize(AEAudioFormat&, std:Confusedtring&): Assertion `0' failed.] stopping mpd doesnt fix it........oh bother]
(2017-05-12, 22:44)kevin939 Wrote: [kodi has now stopped working - wont start [Sinks/AESinkPi.cpp:200: virtual bool CAESinkPi::Initialize(AEAudioFormat&, std:Confusedtring&): Assertion `0' failed.] stopping mpd doesnt fix it........oh bother]

You seem to have an invalid audio output device:
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/blob/...i.cpp#L200

That is set in .kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml. Try adjusting this property to:
Code:
<audiodevice default="true">PI:HDMI</audiodevice>
Which should allow you to boot and edit settings as desired. If not the delete the file.
hmmm, lost my last reply....

great call from popcornmix - I had come to the same conclusion but didnt know how to fix it....the suggestion worked a treat: BIG THANKS

So back to testing and trying to find out why volumio sounds so much better on the same h/w and source. I have now installed mpd server on the same pi as kodi and they point at the same sources. I also installed an mpd client (volumio is essentially an mpd server and web based client). comparing mpd against the vinyl......vinyl marginally better. Checked all the setting against volumio.......as close as I can tell the same. So another test against volumio and vinyl......difficult but vinyl just better. So now I am in the position where subjective sound quality is, in descending order

vinyl,
volumio DAC
raspbian mpd DAC
raspbian kodi DAC.

volume DOES play a part - levels for volumio/DAC and vinyl are about the same, raspbian mpd/DAC is slightly lower than vinyl, Kodi/DAC is quite a bit down.

As far as I can see there is no volume control on the DAC....
a little more laying is required.
(2017-05-14, 23:32)kevin939 Wrote: volume DOES play a part - levels for volumio/DAC and vinyl are about the same, raspbian mpd/DAC is slightly lower than vinyl, Kodi/DAC is quite a bit down.

Is Kodi's volume set to 100% (i.e. with + key)?
Listen to Popcornmix. 100%
kodi volume at 100%

Despite this the level is significantly less via kodi than volumio [volume is louder using mpd driven by kodi plugin]. Flipping volume up/down as I switch between vinyl and kodi helped a little but not enough - kodi still flat compared to vinyl.

So dug out my old high end CD player.....yup thats better too [very comparable to vinyl and no dust crackles Smile].... shame the reason it was put away to start with (dodgy power supply) remains [guess I need to investaget that].

removed pulseaudio....just in case. No impact

Next steps.....I have a USB DAC which I thought was good so trying that
Do you have PulseAudio installed on Raspbian ?
In alsamixer, do they have equal volume level in Volumio and Raspbian ?
Can you post a full Kodi log with debug enabled while playing the audio files through the DAC ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audiophile sound quality?0