Remove Genre information from playback screen
That's not the install folder for Kodi.

If you don't know where's it's located you can use the Kodi File Manager to access the folder, see https://kodi.wiki/view/File_manager

With File Manager you can use Special Protocol paths that are essentially shortcuts to different parts of Kodi, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol

So adding special://skin as a source will open the folder for the currently active skin, add a destination source to copy off to where ever you want to edit, and then copy back. However next time Kodi is upgraded your change will be overwritten. To keep the changes it's best to create your own version of Estuary by copying off the entire skin.estuary folder (source special://xbmc/addons) editing the files you want and copy to userdata location (source special://home or special://home/addons)
You would be asking for trouble by freezing your skin in time while continuing to update the app to newer builds.  Which is why I advocated to remove this genre stuff from OSD in the actual code 3 years ago.  I don't know whose idea was to put it there in the first place.  Genre is not something you need to see every time you hit pause or rewind.  I am unaware of any player or streaming service that puts genre front and center like that.
(2020-02-05, 17:45)Knocks Wrote: You would be asking for trouble by freezing your skin in time while continuing to update the app to newer builds

Of course you need to do the same thing next time after you update, but instead to it being overwritten removing the change you can redo the edit at your leisure on the updated skin.estuary files. Personally I run my own mod stored in my userdata folder as skin.estuary.mod with a modified https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...don.xml#L2 to be
xml:
<addon id="skin.estuary.mod" version="2.0.22" name="Estuary Mod" provider-name="phil65, Ichabod Fletchman">
and I use a program such as DiffMerge to compare files after each update, however this will be too much work for some people.
(2020-02-05, 17:45)Knocks Wrote: I don't know whose idea was to put it there in the first place.  Genre is not something you need to see every time you hit pause or rewind.  I am unaware of any player or streaming service that puts genre front and center like that.

It's there as the OSD Info display and the seekbar share code, removing it would complicate the code unnecessarily as you've been the only person I've ever seen says they don't want to see it.
Yeah, it is too much work, not in the sense that I don't want to do the work but in the sense that it's a poor use of resources for one person to constantly make private edits that could instead benefit the entire Kodi userbase.

Who maintains this skin and does he read this subforum?  The subforum doesn't seem to get a ton of attention compared to general Kodi feedback.
Well it's impossible to keep everyone happy, count yourself lucky it's pretty easy to edit skins by modifying xml files (once you found the files Wink ). I and other keep members keep an eye on this forum, and if we see trends of people wanting similar things then we will consider the possibility of adding/changing it. We will NOT change something is there only one persona advocating it, unless it's clear it is a bug or causing serious impairment to usability.
(2020-02-05, 18:02)jjd-uk Wrote: It's there as the OSD Info display and the seekbar share code, removing it would complicate the code unnecessarily as you've been the only person I've ever seen says they don't want to see it. 

You could formulate this differently and say that the person who put it there originally was probably the only one who DID want to see it.  The rest just don't care to improve or polish Kodi, expect someone else to do the work, or have other things to write about.  It took me FOREVER to get the conversation going on hiding screenshots from TV episode summaries a few years ago.  That doesn't mean it wasn't a much-needed improvement.  Common sense has to be a part of UI fabric, especially now that Kodi is officially in the app stores and going big time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remove Genre information from playback screen0