Android Auto refresh switching + pass through audio on Shield TV : bug?
I just installed my first Android TV device, a 2017 Shield. Works great both with SPMC and the latest Kodi beta. I managed to get the refresh rate switching to work, but noticed that -when using audio passthrough- sometimes audio is sent to the receiver as 'stereo' and not producing any sound. While the movie is playing, going to the audio settings (the 2nd from left icon) and then disabling and re-enabling passthough makes the receiver pickup the signal and then it's ok

Strange thing is, this is not something that seems to happen always, even with the same movie. So sometimes it works right away, sometimes I need to disable/enable the passthrough to 'force' it to work. This is with a Denon X2100W receiver and a Panasonic 50GT60 plasma. No idea if this is relevant.

Anyone got any idea?
It is a known issue and it happens far more often on the shield 5.0 firmware, which i have reported to nvidia. I believe you can work around the issue by enabling a timeout of a number of seconds before the frame rate switch occurs.

In kodi 16 and spmc the setting is called "Pause during refresh rate change" and can be found in the playback menu.
In kodi 17 it can be found under system > display and is called "delay after change of refresh rate"

I am currently experimenting with a 3 second delay, which seems to work so far.
(2017-01-18, 17:09)lapino Wrote: I just installed my first Android TV device, a 2017 Shield. Works great both with SPMC and the latest Kodi beta. I managed to get the refresh rate switching to work, but noticed that -when using audio passthrough- sometimes audio is sent to the receiver as 'stereo' and not producing any sound. While the movie is playing, going to the audio settings (the 2nd from left icon) and then disabling and re-enabling passthough makes the receiver pickup the signal and then it's ok

Strange thing is, this is not something that seems to happen always, even with the same movie. So sometimes it works right away, sometimes I need to disable/enable the passthrough to 'force' it to work. This is with a Denon X2100W receiver and a Panasonic 50GT60 plasma. No idea if this is relevant.

Anyone got any idea?

How did you get the refresh rate switching to work?? I have a 2017 shield and it stays on 60p all the time. Even when adjust settings on kodi to make the refresh rate switch depending on content.

Sent from my iPhone
I did not have to do anything special. Just enabled the function, set a 3sec delay and it works fine.
It's a driver bug. Nvidia knows - but it's not number one on their list to fix. Also kodi's implementation could be better in that regard. For now: don't use it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Onkyo + Sony, here, and a 3 sec pause works 100%
(2017-01-23, 09:37)Koying Wrote: Onkyo + Sony, here, and a 3 sec pause works 100%

Seems you are a lucky: http://pastebin.com/qukLZUDy <- this is an spmc log from yesterdays. First sink dies, then it fails two times to open, after some seconds reopen succeeds.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-01-23, 10:49)fritsch Wrote: Seems you are a lucky

Well, delay is key, as hinted here. Not a luck matter.
I didn't invent the delay setting, btw, it was there before android Wink

As hinted by Nvidia, even listening to HDMI ON event won't be sufficient to guarantee that AudioTrack is ready, so there'no way around using a pause delay, really.
Those are the hindrance of talking to an OS rather than to a kernel Wink
I tried with 10 seconds delay, with null sink first... nothing fixed martijn's system. That's why I say: luck.
Seems to behave better with the new FW update btw. Not that i tested it extensively yet.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Aahh, Martijn's Wink
I remember that his setup is behaving quite strangely regarding PT.

Probably not a case to generalize as "Refresh switching + PT" is broken Wink
From the logs above I see: three failures to init / write data to the sink including reopening. It recovers cause in v16 it polled the sink forever, including timeouts between these. I call that broken. On v17 - the sink fails and the NullSink takes over -> gone.
(2017-01-23, 13:29)fritsch Wrote: On v17 - the sink fails and the NullSink takes over -> gone.

Mmm, from the Kodi log of the other thread (http://pastebin.com/fiUeb0sU), looks like there still is "some" retry:

Code:
12:29:45.820 T:1570732320   ERROR: AESinkAUDIOTRACK - Unable to create AudioTrack
12:29:45.820 T:1570732320   DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device AUDIOTRACK:AudioTrack
12:29:45.820 T:1570732320   DEBUG: CAESinkAUDIOTRACK::Initialize requested: sampleRate 192000; format: AE_FMT_RAW; channels: 8
[...]
12:29:47.311 T:1570732320   ERROR: CAESinkAUDIOTRACK::AddPackets write returned error:  -12
12:29:47.311 T:1570732320   ERROR: CActiveAESink::OutputSamples - sink returned error
12:29:47.347 T:1570732320    INFO: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - initialize sink
12:29:47.347 T:1570732320   DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device AUDIOTRACK:AudioTrack
12:29:47.347 T:1570732320   DEBUG: CAESinkAUDIOTRACK::Initialize requested: sampleRate 192000; format: AE_FMT_RAW; channels: 8

Looks pretty similar to the Jarvis/SPMC one, actually

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto refresh switching + pass through audio on Shield TV : bug?0