Nvidia Shield - Fast enough?
In-depth comparisons between x264 and x265 showed x265 to have improved visual quality on video bitrates up to approximately 3mbps at which point the difference between x264 and x265 were pretty much indistinguishable. In my experience if you are encoding movies with a target bitrate of 3-5mbps your are much better off reducing the target resolution from 1080p to 720p. I believe that the 1080p videos should have a bitrate in the 8-10mbps range at a minimum. That being said everyone has a different standard of acceptable quality based on equipment, viewing distance, storage space, and amount of ****s given.

On topic, the Shield TV has very fast eMMC storage that loads fanart instantly. It seems to handle any skin with ease in my experience.
(2017-01-20, 23:32)Jdiesel Wrote: In-depth comparisons between x264 and x265 showed x265 to have improved visual quality on video bitrates up to approximately 3mbps at which point the difference between x264 and x265 were pretty much indistinguishable. In my experience if you are encoding movies with a target bitrate of 3-5mbps your are much better off reducing the target resolution from 1080p to 720p. I believe that the 1080p videos should have a bitrate in the 8-10mbps range at a minimum. That being said everyone has a different standard of acceptable quality based on equipment, viewing distance, storage space, and amount of ****s given.

On topic, the Shield TV has very fast eMMC storage that loads fanart instantly. It seems to handle any skin with ease in my experience.

Dude is either woefully ignorant, or just F.O.S. I kinda vote the latter. 5gb encode of the hobbit with HD audio will look like garbage.
Being a quality freak doesn't grant you insulting rights.

1.5 GB per hour x264 are very watchable.
If you want garbage, look at SD xvid, which uses about the same bitrate Wink
As well, compression vs 1:1 video quality has nothing to with the OPs question.

So stay on topic.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Back to the original question - LibreELEC Kodi Jarvis or Krypton flashed to the fast internal eMMC Flash storage of a device like the 16GB MINIX U1 would give anyone a decent speedy Kodi device.
One that will handle virtually all (non HDR) video codecs just fine. Even HEVC (H265) in up to 4K:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

W.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield - Fast enough?0