Migrate from E2 to Tvheadend
Hi

Actually I have a separate E2 linux sat receiver and an Intel htpc. Because of bugs in E2 and to save space in my rack I want to combine both devices and build my own "receiver" with KODI, Tvheadend and a DVBSky S952 card on Gentoo or LibreElec base. Most of the time it should be powered off and not online 24/7.
It must have a high WAF, so I hope someone here can answer me a few questions where Google is no help or I can't find a definitive answer

- Is it possible to automatically wakeup the htpc and refresh the EPG on a daily basis by DVB-S (not by XMLTV) with a KODI- or Tvheadend-addon?

- Does KODI respect channel and recording locks?
I have only one sat cable from my multiswitch and loop it from tuner A to tuner B. It must not be possible to power off the system while a recording is in progress (ideally it should go to standby and poweroff after the recording like an E2 receiver). The same is true for channel switching. A recording of a horizontal frequency locks all vertical frequencies. Does e.g. "Channel Up" in KODI switch to the next possible channel or stop the record? And last but not least does KODI respect this locks and warns me if I programm new overlapping and therefore impossible recordings?

Thanks
zehner
I've found a plugin which addressses my first and parts of my second question
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=115758

So the only thing that prevents me from buying a tv-card is: Does TVHeadend respect recording locks?
Perhaps someone here has already programmed a recording or switched the channel with busy tuners

Thanks in advance
zehner
TVHeadend is incredibly flexible when it comes to coping with less tuners than it needs.

"Does e.g. "Channel Up" in KODI switch to the next possible channel or stop the record?"

Neither - it switches to the next channel - but says "No Free Adapter Available"

In this image I was just watching "CBS Action" and pressed channel up to "CBS Drama" but no tuners were available (another channel was being recorded on the same multiplex as CBS Action).

TVHeadend can pair multiple tuners together to cope with your "loop through", but when multiple channels are on the same transponder it will reuse the same tuner.

TV1, TV2, and TV3 are on 10,900H
TV4, TV5, and TV6 are on 11,000H
Sat1, Sat, and Sat3, are on 11,200V
TV9 is on 11,400H

e.g.
If you are watching Sat1. and a recording starts on TV1 TVHeadend will record TV1 and say "no input available"
If you are watching TV1, and a recording starts on TV2 TVHeadend will use the same tuner for TV2. In a few minutes another recording starts on TV9 and TVHeadend will use the second tuner for TV9.

However - if you have two recordings scheduled for 21:00 on TV1 and Sat1 it's a bit random as to which will be recorded - however you can set recordings to have different priority levels. For example I have my Formula 1 timers set with a higher priority than anything else - therefore if all the inputs which have Channel 4 HD available to them are in use another recording will be stopped to ensure the F1 is recorded.

If you have a low priority recording (say the nightly news) that you don't mind failing if live tv is being watched you can do that too (i.e. by default recording is prioritised over watching, but you can set recording priority below watching).

You can also set up TVHeadend to automatically record alternate showings if an initial attempt at recording fails (requires good EPG Data for this to work reliably)

As an aside - if you are in a country like the UK which has a lot of free to air channels available via DVB-T (which are also available on satellite) you can link the services from the aerial and satellite to the same "Channel" and prioritise different inputs over one another (typically in Europe you'll prioritise DVB-S2 over DVB-T2 for the higher bit rates on satellite)

e.g. where I am BBC ONE HD is available via my DVB-T2 tuner, my Satellite SAT>IP Tuner, and from my EETV box (effectively IPTV) - I have prioritised BBC ONE HD from the satellite tuners first, the EETV box second, the DVB-T2 third, and the SD variant of BBC ONE East Midlands from my DVB-T tuners last.
Thanks for the feedback kevjs1982, it saved me from buying a new tv card

I think I will stay with my E2 as long as the receiver works, but my next receiver will be a TVheadend solution

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrate from E2 to Tvheadend0