Is this possible?
Hi

I'm working on a simple skin to use on an XBMC machine that I've set up for my parents. The default xbmc skin is great but it has so many options and settings that they would get confused and probably break something, then I'd be called upon to fix whatever went wrong!

My simple skin only allows access to Videos (in file mode, not library mode) and Weather info. So far it is working pretty well but I've been getting complaints that there is no way to tell what a particular movie is about. I'd like to give them the option of viewing a plot summary at the push of a button on the remote.

I know that plot summaries, thumbnails and other info can be stored in the library database and can be fetched automatically with scrapers but, to be honest, I've not had much luck getting this to work to my satisfaction. Instead I've gotten used to creating my own thumbnail files for the movies I load onto the NAS, I was thinking that maybe I could create a text file with a short plot summary at the same time - so for each movie I would have:

moviename.avi
moviename.tbn (jpeg thumbnail)
moviename.desc (text file with short plot summary)

The idea is that my parents would highlight a movie in the list and then press the info button (on the DVD remote) which would then popup a small window displaying the contents of the text file. Before I spend a lot of time trying to get this to work I thought I'd ask some experienced skinners whether this is actually possible and, if so, whether you have any advice on how to go about it.

Designing the window should be fairly easy, and I believe there is a way to tell the filename of the currently selected item in a list, from which I could generate the name of the associated text file. Is it possible to read the contents of a text file and display them in a text control? Would I have to write a script to do that?
i guess you could remap the info button in keymap.xml.

If you really don't want to use library, which is your best option.

I would suggest a plugin. a plugin could read a text file for the info and populate infolabels. Then you would just have to copy a media info view from pmiii, or i like basics-101 media info view best. then there would be no need to push a button.

the home theater plugin is an example to grab a list and populate the items. it only populates the full info in _get_videodb_list(), but _get_file_info() could be modded to read a nfo file.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Geddon Wrote:moviename.avi
moviename.tbn (jpeg thumbnail)
moviename.desc (text file with short plot summary)
Yuo can use a properly formated NFO file (so .nfo, not .desc) but it would mean a lot of manual labour:
http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/Import_-..._nfo_Files

The IMDb scraper are really working great for movies today, so in TheTVDB scraper for TV-shows. All you need to do is make sure you rename your files correctly (if required, which it only is if you are using some wierd naming format that no one else is using that downloads stuff from the internet).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for the replies, I've just done some tests and it looks like the nfo file will work fine for this.

I only need the title and plot so I leave the other fields out of the nfo and they just get left blank in the database when xbmc imports the data from the file. I also modified DialogVideoInfo.xml so it only displays the thumbnail, title and plot.

This works fine if accessed via the context menu (by selecting a video file, right clicking, then selecting "Movie Information") but I just get a blank window if I modify Keymap.xml to launch the window directly on a keypress, this is true even if a file is highlighted before pressing the key.

Is there a way to get the window to display the correct data without launching it via the context menu?
You should modify the keymap to launch the info window via the Info action.

Otherwise the movie info window has no idea what to populate itself with.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yep, that sorted it. Thanks for your help.
I'm trying to do something along the same lines and having the same problem. I'd like to have the movieinformation automatically populate when the focus is on a dvd without a button press. I'm using a modified VideoDVDWrapView to change the positioning of the covers and want the movie info to load on top of the DVD covers, which works when I bring up the context menu and choose movie information, but I just can't figure out what I need to modify to have movieinformation automatically populate when the focus is on a DVD cover. I'm not sure if I need to use an ActivateWindow or OnFocus or ListItem......I've just started to learn the code this week, so I'm still a newb to some of the functions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this possible?0