Slow download speeds
I have been trying to run Kodi on one of my 2 new Raspberry Pi 3s. My upstairs TV, it is nearly impossible. When I run a download speed test, it is performing at 2-3 mbps. When I sit my Samsung Galaxy Tablet next to it and run the download test the tablet is getting 25 mbps reliably. Does anyone have an answer for this or any suggestions?

Do I need a usb wifi antenna for the Pi?

To help boost performance I even purchased a new Netgear Nighthawk router.

I am kind of desperate here (and not all the techie). TIA!
lo

what OS? You might need to disable power management.
The Pi3 built-in WiFi is only 802.11n spec, whereas your tablet may be the faster 802.11ac.

You may need a USB solution, or preferably an ethernet cable.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
WiFi "ac" standard theoretical speed - 1300Mbps (megabits per second) => 162.5MBps (megabytes per second)
Real life typical speeds: 802.11ac at one metre: 90MBps, 10 metres: 70MBps and at 20 metres behind two solid walls: 50MBps

WiFi "n" standard theoretical speed - 450Mbps => 56,25MBps
Real life typical speeds: 802.11n at one metre: 30MBps, 10 metres: 20MBps and at 20 metres behind two solid walls: 5-10MBps
Quote:Powerline are a better bet than mere Wi-Fi extenders or repeaters that merely push an already weak signal further around a house.
Simply plug one Powerline adapter into a power socket near your router and attach it to the router with an ethernet cable (usually supplied with the Powerline adapter kit). Then go to the room where you want to hook up a device (maybe another PC or laptop, a smart TV or a set-top box for catch-up TV such as Sky+, Tivo and Apple TV), plug the second adapter into a nearby power socket and connect another ethernet cable from that to the device or devices.
That's it. It really is plug and play.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA8030P-KIT-...B00X59GJGC

I use these to link my bedroom (Pi3 & laptop), study (NAS & server) & living room (Pi3 & router). So much better than WiFi.
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
Sad 
(2017-01-22, 21:19)Sholander Wrote: WiFi "n" [...] Real life typical speeds: [..] at 20 metres behind two solid walls: 5-10MBps

Still faster than the 1-2M,

BTW: I have the same problem
Where is the Pi situated? If it is tucked behind a TV you don't stand a cat in hells chance of getting a decent signal. Things like this need to be in free space. But as said ethernet is key here, with media centres Wifi is a bit of a poor compromise IMHO. You'd be better off all round with either a direct cable or some cheap powerline adaptors. I use 200Mbps ones from eBay and they work perfectly.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2017-02-02, 00:32)speedwell68 Wrote: Where is the Pi situated? If it is tucked behind a TV you don't stand a cat in hells chance of getting a decent signal. Things like this need to be in free space. But as said ethernet is key here, with media centres Wifi is a bit of a poor compromise IMHO. You'd be better off all round with either a direct cable or some cheap powerline adaptors. I use 200Mbps ones from eBay and they work perfectly.

Is there any specific Ethernet cable to use ? I have problem in viewing 4K streams thought my speed test results show 36.9 Mbps

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-02-02, 00:41)ssarava9 Wrote:
(2017-02-02, 00:32)speedwell68 Wrote: Where is the Pi situated? If it is tucked behind a TV you don't stand a cat in hells chance of getting a decent signal. Things like this need to be in free space. But as said ethernet is key here, with media centres Wifi is a bit of a poor compromise IMHO. You'd be better off all round with either a direct cable or some cheap powerline adaptors. I use 200Mbps ones from eBay and they work perfectly.

Is there any specific Ethernet cable to use ? I have problem in viewing 4K streams thought my speed test results show 36.9 Mbps

Sent from my iPhone (typie typie)

Any regular Cat 5 or higher ethernet cable will be fine. An RPI only has a 100Mbps port. I wasn't aware an RPI could process 4K.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow download speeds0