Win Kodi Crashes Immediately on Startup
I was happily using Kodi 16.1 (Jarvis) until today, when it started crashing on startup. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, deleted the Kodi folder then reinstalled it, etc. but still get the exact same result. I tried to upload screen images, but I don't see a way to do that.

When starting, the Kodi splash screen opens, but never gets to the menu. Instead I get a little white box that says:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kodi Has Stopped Working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows never closes the program unless you click on the "Close Program" button.

My computer is a new Dell XPS 15 9550 with 16 GB RAM and 512GB SSD hard drive running Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.2.18, 12/1/2016
same problem here! hope some1 knows a fix
Let's get those proper debug logs (you need to turn it on in settings or with an advanced settings file-> here Log file/Advanced (wiki) the section 1.2 Turn on debugging using a file (advancedsettings.xml) uploaded to a public pastebin and that URL linked back to this thread.

Thank-you in advance.
I uninstalled Kodi 16.1 and installed Kodi 17.0 to see if it behaved the same way. It did. Here's the link to the pastebin for the Kodi.log file contents:

http://pastebin.com/JGwYyVeb
(2017-01-24, 20:43)jimven Wrote: I uninstalled Kodi 16.1 and installed Kodi 17.0 to see if it behaved the same way. It did. Here's the link to the pastebin for the Kodi.log file contents:

That log is not telling me much, you have to turn on debug logging in settings>system>logging. or in the advanced settings.xml file.

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>
(2017-01-25, 06:09)PatK Wrote:
(2017-01-24, 20:43)jimven Wrote: I uninstalled Kodi 16.1 and installed Kodi 17.0 to see if it behaved the same way. It did. Here's the link to the pastebin for the Kodi.log file contents:

That log is not telling me much, you have to turn on debug logging in settings>system>logging. or in the advanced settings.xml file.

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>

The following is the content of the advanced settings .xml file that I used to generate that log file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
<!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>
(2017-01-25, 16:45)jimven Wrote: The following is the content of the advanced settings .xml file that I used to generate that log file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
It's not working:
Quote:13:30:01.802 T:8752 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

Q. Is that file in the C:\Users\jim\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata folder?
Q. Is the above a cut and paste? If so why the '-' at the start of line 2?
Literally all you need is:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
Q. Is the file definitely saved as advancedsettings.xml - and not eg advancedsettings.xml.txt?
(2017-01-25, 17:30)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-01-25, 16:45)jimven Wrote: The following is the content of the advanced settings .xml file that I used to generate that log file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
It's not working:
Quote:13:30:01.802 T:8752 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

Q. Is that file in the C:\Users\jim\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata folder?
Q. Is the above a cut and paste? If so why the '-' at the start of line 2?
Literally all you need is:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
Q. Is the file definitely saved as advancedsettings.xml - and not eg advancedsettings.xml.txt?

I found the problem. I had "advancedsettings.xml misspelled.

I've created a new log file by replacing the one I posted before. It's located at: http://pastebin.com/JGwYyVeb
(2017-01-25, 18:26)jimven Wrote: The above was a cut and paste. The '-' doesn't seem to really be there, but is displayed by the Notepad++ editor. Using Notepad, it's not there. Just to be sure, I copied and pasted the above where you said it is "Literally all you need is:" and tried again to open Kodi. I think the result is the same. I updated http://pastebin.com/JGwYyVeb to show the new log file generated. Kodi never gets past the splash screen. After generating the log file, I went back to see what was in the advancedsettings.xml file. It's identical to the above ("Literally all you need is:").
It still isn't being picked up...
Quote:11:15:45.599 T:1076 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

At this point all I can suggest is right clicking and checking the file properties. If it's in the right place, called the right name (advancedsettings.xml) and is definitely the right type of file (xml) then it should be seen and read in the log.
If you want to upload it somewhere I'm happy to check it.
Please check my updated previous message where I found the problem.
(2017-01-25, 18:42)jimven Wrote: Please check my updated previous message where I found the problem.
Great. Now you just need someone who understands Windows. Wink
You're running Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 60Hz, wondering if you could test at 1920x1080, and see if you can get a launch.
(2017-01-25, 19:05)PatK Wrote: You're running Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 60Hz, wondering if you could test at 1920x1080, and see if you can get a launch.

Yes, it launched, but that is not the native resolution of my monitor, so I would not want to leave it on that setting. More important, Kodi used to open at the full display resolution and suddenly stopped working.
Yes I can understand you want 4K upfront, just wanted to see a launch and ensure we do have code working, and that the issue becomes one of display. Can you switch over to windowed mode, and prove out a working operation or do you still have issues? Is the 4K TV your monitor, or are you switching into it?
(2017-01-25, 19:52)PatK Wrote: Yes I can understand you want 4K upfront, just wanted to see a launch and ensure we do have code working, and that the issue becomes one of display. Can you switch over to windowed mode, and prove out a working operation or do you still have issues? Is the 4K TV your monitor, or are you switching into it?

The higher resolution is the native resolution of my laptop computer, an XPS 15 9550. Naturally, it looks better and sharper in its native mode. I often play Kodi using HDMI to a 4K TV, as well, and that always worked until this problem arose. The TV automatically adjusts to lower resolution video streams.

OK, I lowered my laptop resolution, opened Kodi, changed to Windowed mode, restored the computer to its full resolution, and then reopened Kodi. When I open Kodi in Windowed mode, it opens as a small, centrally-located window. I can click to expand it to fill the screen. If I close and reopen it, it isn't maximized. So it only opens in this mode. But Kodi IS working at the highest resolution in Windowed mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Crashes Immediately on Startup1