Movie Management Help!
Alright so I have my external hard drive with a lot of movies on it I've been getting lately, and how I organize them is a folder with the name of the movie, then the movie file inside.

Example:

Finding Nemo (Folder)
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.mp4

And then I got the addon for kodi, the movie database, which is really nice cause it gives my movies art, trailers, and descriptions which is really cool and I like a lot. But I had a couple of questions about it thatI couldn't seem to figure out on my own.

Is there a way for it to download all the art and descriptions for all the movies I have? So if for example my internet went out I would still have the art and info about the movies.

And if the previous question is possible, is there a way to make it so it downloads the movie art and info into the folder of the movie, so if I were to plug the hard drive into my pc it would look like:

Finding Nemo (Folder)
Finding Nemo Description.xmf
Finding Nemo art.jpg

All in the folder.

And last question, if the above stuff is possible, can I do the same with trailers? It's a 5tb hard drive so space isn't a problem, and I think it would be really cool to just have the trailers downloaded and part of the folder also.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Yes, yes and yes... did I miss a yes?

Finding Nemo (2003) [Folder and inside could be]

Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.nfo
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p-poster.jpg
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p-fanart.jpg
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p-trailer.avi
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.srt

as per Artwork (wiki) and if your skin doesn't already have it... "Artwork Downloader" works in common with most.
All the art is kept in the software library out of your reach until you export as separate files, then all the artwork is copied to each folder.

Tip #1, get or use TheRenamer (wiki) it will rename "Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.mp4" to "Finding Nemo" all the rest is included in the .nfo file.
Tip #2, get rid of Finding Nemo Description.xmf or extraneous files, especially .xml or foreign .nfo files.
Tip #3, why download trailers when the scraper puts in the URL address to the trailer, for easy access through the web.
Tip #4, If you are going to ignore #3 and put trailers in, scrape the movie after you have put it in.
Tip #5 consider the Universal scraper, it's split scraper and can grab things from more than one spot.
Tip #6 don't do a lot of thinking, or per-organization, keep the names clean with date, and the scraper will look after you, then run Artwork Downloader
Tip #7 when your library looks good export.
Tip #8 5 gigs might seem big to you, but that will change quickly
Tip #9 don't put more than 200 files in a source.
Tip #10 Use Google "Kodi problem/issue" works like a dream.

Last Big 'Tip' Windows plays musical drives with drive letters, So when you plug your drive in, windows gives it the next available letter, Kodi paths are hard coded, so if the path contains E: and you happen to have a USB device now called E: your library becomes inaccessible. Solution, manually change the drive letter to Z: and call it Zorro....
(2017-01-26, 03:24)PatK Wrote: Yes, yes and yes... did I miss a yes?

Finding Nemo (2003) [Folder and inside could be]

Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.nfo
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p-poster.jpg
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p-fanart.jpg
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p-trailer.avi
Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.srt

as per Artwork (wiki) and if your skin doesn't already have it... "Artwork Downloader" works in common with most.
All the art is kept in the software library out of your reach until you export as separate files, then all the artwork is copied to each folder.

Tip #1, get or use TheRenamer (wiki) it will rename "Finding nemo bluray x264 1080p.mp4" to "Finding Nemo" all the rest is included in the .nfo file.
Tip #2, get rid of Finding Nemo Description.xmf or extraneous files, especially .xml or foreign .nfo files.
Tip #3, why download trailers when the scraper puts in the URL address to the trailer, for easy access through the web.
Tip #4, If you are going to ignore #3 and put trailers in, scrape the movie after you have put it in.
Tip #5 consider the Universal scraper, it's split scraper and can grab things from more than one spot.
Tip #6 don't do a lot of thinking, or per-organization, keep the names clean with date, and the scraper will look after you, then run Artwork Downloader
Tip #7 when your library looks good export.
Tip #8 5 gigs might seem big to you, but that will change quickly
Tip #9 don't put more than 200 files in a source.
Tip #10 Use Google "Kodi problem/issue" works like a dream.

Last Big 'Tip' Windows plays musical drives with drive letters, So when you plug your drive in, windows gives it the next available letter, Kodi paths are hard coded, so if the path contains E: and you happen to have a USB device now called E: your library becomes inaccessible. Solution, manually change the drive letter to Z: and call it Zorro....

alright so I got universal movie scraper and got everything I wanted. I was able to export and get all the art and everything.

Except the only thing I couldn't do was download the trailer, the only options are to stream the trailer, how do I download them?
I used to be able to grab the trailers here or there, the whole issue of downloading is somewhat cloudy. The trailer links in the .nfo file work for me most of the time, I'm a little unsure if this is the best http://www.hd-trailers.net/ Add-on:HD-Trailers.net (wiki)
(2017-01-26, 18:27)PatK Wrote: I used to be able to grab the trailers here or there, the whole issue of downloading is somewhat cloudy. The trailer links in the .nfo file work for me most of the time, I'm a little unsure if this is the best http://www.hd-trailers.net/ Add-on:HD-Trailers.net (wiki)

Yeah I have that add on but it's a whole separate things from the movies, like I can't press trailer under movies. I have to go out of my way to that add on and view it :/
Direct download trailers to the movie folder, perhaps might be some option into Art-Work Downloader?

Something for a feature request then?
Hello

I have a similar question except that I would like the artwork to be displayed when the folder containing the movie is selected. Now if I browser through all my movies I need to select the movie file itself to view the artwork, description etc... could it be possible to view all that when selecting the folder already ? if yes, how ?

thank you in advance for your answer
(2017-05-06, 14:40)petri71 Wrote: Hello

I have a similar question except that I would like the artwork to be displayed when the folder containing the movie is selected. Now if I browser through all my movies I need to select the movie file itself to view the artwork, description etc... could it be possible to view all that when selecting the folder already ? if yes, how ?

It does that already. So I am wondering what view you are in?

Different skins provide a different level of artwork display. Maybe try AeonNox skin. I use it, and I believe it to be the best for showcasing fanart.

I am assuming you have your library scraped correctly and it is local material and not via some add-on.
Thank you Karellen for your answer.

Maybe it's my view that is not ideal for the system. I can see indeed that there is a lot of pages where artwork is not being displayed.

I am using the smart shortcuts to create menus with my favorites, linked to specific folder on my WD myCloud (local network).

My way of organizing my movies is specific so the regular Kodi video view does not do the job. Is it the only way to have a perfect artwork display ?
So now that I re-read your message, I can see you are not talking about Library view. Looks like you are in file manager mode.

How are you accessing your listings. From the Main Menu/Home Page (whichever you call it) are you...

Selecting "Movies" tab and viewing your movie listings
or
Selecting "Videos" then navigating down to your sources?

----Edit----
Either way, you should still see your artwork. Have you scraped your movies, or do you have your own artwork that you have dropped into the directory?

Also, tell us about this "specific" way of organising your media.
Thank you KArellen

I am using Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV.
I don't know exactly was is scraping movies with Kodi but I did not have any artwork before, I think Kodi went to fetch them the first time I linked it with my library.

I am not using the Movies tab, I am indeed using the files menu to the video sources where I have set my major folders as favorite, then I use the smart shortcuts to create home menu to those specific folders (in which they can be more subfoldeers, themselves including movies in a folder).

Basically this is the organisation I have :

MOVIES
-Action
-Drama
-Comedy

DOCUMENTARY
-Food
-Nature
-Travel
-Politics
etc

KIDS

SERIES

MY MOVIES
-Travel
-Friends
etc...

After checking the way most of the Skin manage the listing, I realized I had to use the fav shortcuts through the file manager to be able to get to my movies as quick as possible from the home menu. But still When I get inside the last folder, the one containing the movies (in each separate folder) I cannot see the artwork.

Did I do smth wrong in the beginning or is my library corrupted somehow ?
Quote:I don't know exactly was is scraping movies with Kodi but I did not have any artwork before
No, I don't think your library is corrupt. I think it's more of you don't have a library. The way you are using it, is basically browsing your files like you would with Windows Explorer.

You are definitely not using Kodi to it's full potential

Have a read of this guide to setting up videos and libraries... http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_videos_to_the_library

Basically you have to separate Movies and TV Shows and place them into their own directories. Add those directories as a source. While adding them as a source, you will also nominate the scraper. Once set up, Kodi will hunt the internet to match your movies with appropriate artwork and metadata. To allow this to happen, movies and tv shows must have a particular naming convention, which is also covered in the guide.

Once it is all set up and scraped, you should have lots of artwork, lots of descriptions and lots of happy faces.

Have a read and feel free to ask further questions.
Thank you Karellen, I will have a look at your doc and maybe do it again.

But somehow I can still see all the artwork and plots and rating of movies as long as I select the file itself... so somehow the scraping must have happened right.

Maybe I should delete all my sources and start from scratch with the help of your doc.

I'll come back here after that.

Thank you again and enjoy the rest of your Sunday ;-)
(2017-05-06, 14:40)petri71 Wrote: Hello

hmmm this is a very good information thanks for sharing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Management Help!0