UK NEWS - Not guilty plea in landmark Kodi box trial (piracy related)
Is there not a way where kodi can use the spotify model and offer official high quality content legally from multiple content providers via subscription or advertisement revenue, thats keeps sky, virgin, amazon, netflix ect happy and would eventually do away for the need of fully loded pirated addons and illegal content?
Surely this has to be a way forward?
(2017-02-19, 23:14)mark_marler@LiVe.com Wrote: Is there not a way where kodi can use the spotify model and offer official high quality content legally from multiple content providers via subscription or advertisement revenue, thats keeps sky, virgin, amazon, netflix ect happy and would eventually do away for the need of fully loded pirated addons and illegal content?
Surely this has to be a way forward?

Anything is possible. What you're describing is just very, very, very, very unlikely. Particularly so because we don't currently support any kind of real drm.
We don't have the man power to do such a thing. If we'd be something like a "content proxy" we'd have to deal with a lot of legal stuff, user accounts, bank information, loads of security related stuff, full time tech support etc etc etc - so we'd have to start a business.
Since media is streaming over the internet then what is next policing of the internet, google & all search engines. The box is just a android computer with Kodi added, what about computers that download Kodi? There is more to this then meets the eye. How can all these websites, i.e., links to content exist without web hosting and the internet. Kodi provides a media server that can search the internet. Someone is making money from all this supposed illegal content. Surely you are not suggesting that the Cable and Satellite companies cannot find where the streams are coming from and shut them down. I do not believe that these companies are serious, are we to believe HBO, all major networks world wide, movie studios, radio stations, can not find where the stream is coming from and shut them down. I believe that the only people who are concerned are those who can make money from litigation. Lawyers and do gooder government agencies have been tasked to attempt to regulate which means regulating the internet or lawyers bring suits against individuals that are easy marks. Content providers by not aggressively finding the streaming service has chosen to lobby government or let enterprising lawyers to do their dirty work.
holy fuck, we found a trumper.
Why don't you stay on topic.
(2017-02-20, 03:25)memoriesman49 Wrote: Kodi provides a media server that can search the internet.
No it doesn't.
(2017-02-20, 03:25)memoriesman49 Wrote: Someone is making money from all this supposed illegal content.
Yes, the sites that host these streams via ads on their pages and the box sellers.
(2017-02-20, 03:25)memoriesman49 Wrote: Surely you are not suggesting that the Cable and Satellite companies cannot find where the streams are coming from and shut them down.
They do, which is why we get idiots coming on here saying such and such doesn't work anymore.
There are countries that care a lot less about copyright and reining in the contravening websites. Yes copyright holders can whack website mole, but the mole will pop up again in multiple places.

Frankly the netflix of this world would be better off writing kodi addons than whacking torrent/usenet/web sites that have their content within 24 hours of release. But DRM is a complex beast to incorporate into a open source project.

The interesting question is, if netflix was easily available at a decent resolution on kodi (for a subscription), would they even need DRM? I am thinking they would, because some leeches still want everything for nothing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-20, 10:24)nickr Wrote: The interesting question is, if netflix was easily available at a decent resolution on kodi (for a subscription), would they even need DRM? I am thinking they would, because some leeches still want everything for nothing.
Personally I think a much more interesting question is not if but how developers can implement support for acceptable DRM schemes in a GPL open source media player software like Kodi. I don't believe it is impossible to implement acceptable DRM schemes in open source software, it is just extremly hard.

Netflix, Amazon Video, Google Play Video, and similar services will always require DRM. Even if they produce some of their own original content these days, such services are primarly content aggregators, meaning they have contracts with content producers and offers the content resale. The original content producers for commercial content will always demand an acceptable DRM scheme for paid content.

DRM is not a bad thing for streaming videos. If it could be implemented in Kodi then DRM would only be theere so that customers can get access to copyright content that they say for, either as a subscription or pay-to-play for one time view.

Personally I consider myself a cordcutter as I no longer have cable/satellite-television, but instead I pay for Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO online services, I however I'm not so happy with having to use three seperate apps for them.

That is, I don't mind paying for the content I watch, and I don't mind DRM, but I would like for that content to be more easily available to me inside one application, and then preferably also aggregated into one single unified library, with maybe only a tag or an icon to indicate who provides the content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UK NEWS - Not guilty plea in landmark Kodi box trial (piracy related)0