The correct Video Naming convention!
I am new to this forum, but excited to learn more about Kodi. I am using an Odroid C2 with Kodi installed. I have an external HD attached with video files. I had Kodi scan this new drive and noticed that some of my files did not get any cover art, details, actors etc. I have some movies stored in a folder set (Video_TS, Audio_TS) and these were all fine. I have some MKV files that did not get any metadata attached. For example I have a folder called movies, Avatar, tv001.mkv the file maybe named. Do I need to change the tv001.mkv to Avatar.mkv? Is there a way to do this in bulk. Is the only way to do it on Kodi direct or can I SSH into the device and edit a file with this information in it. Thanks for any ideas on this topic.
You might want to read Adding_video_sources (wiki) and Naming_video_files (wiki)

Regarding renaming the MKVs you don’t need to rename them. When you scan the movies in there is a check box that says “movies are in separate folders that match the movie title” if you enable that you it scans the movies based on folder name.
I don't have movies in individual folders. I sort them into my personal defined genre folders.

I think it helps that when you name them you add the date.

eg Avatar (2009).mkv
It looks like when I selected "movies are in separate folders that match the movie title” it did pick up on all of my mkv files. What is the best and quickest way to organize my media once the initial scan is done and I find some things are not recognized. I guess I will plug my external hard drive into my laptop and make sure the naming convention is correct on the movie file. I find that editing the movie via my Kodi takes too long. I can do a rescan of the media once I have made any adjustments. Any tips or tricks people use would be helpful. Thanks
(2017-01-31, 20:10)cap2587 Wrote: It looks like when I selected "movies are in separate folders that match the movie title” it did pick up on all of my mkv files. What is the best and quickest way to organize my media once the initial scan is done and I find some things are not recognized. I guess I will plug my external hard drive into my laptop and make sure the naming convention is correct on the movie file. I find that editing the movie via my Kodi takes too long. I can do a rescan of the media once I have made any adjustments. Any tips or tricks people use would be helpful. Thanks

Filebot is a renaming program you could try, although it is not very easy.

There is also a Kodi app called missing movie scanner http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Missing_Movie_Scanner
this will tell you if there are any movies it couldn't identify.

In some cases the date might be a year out, if the movie was release near the end or beginning of a year.

Not sure if you could install something like http://www.tinymediamanager.org scan using the usb hard drive.
These are great tips. Thanks bubblegum57.

My main concern is that if I do not get the naming convention right on the folder/file level, I will be running uphill. If I edit by the tinymediamanager or Filebot and I can see it make changes within Kodi. If I rescan my library at some stage does it revert back to not finding movie info if I have not done it on the file level. Hope I am making sense.
I think even if you have to edit every movie, it is worth doing, when you add more, you can rename at that time. eg Avatar (2009).mkv this has been working for me for ages.

It doesn't miss many.

You can update or clean the library from kodi settings quite easily, if, as I have found duplicate entries, then you can change the source to NONE, it will prompt you to clean the library, & you can then reselect movies & scan again.
That is some good insight. Can tinymedia or filebot access my media via IP or host name to save me having to disconnect my USB and plug it into a computer?
Filebot +1. I also recommend one level of directories, with each movie in its own directory named for the movie. ie movies/Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009).mkv.

Kodi will pick up the genres from the metadata, not from your directory arrangement.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I was able to fix my library. Kodi's built in media scanner is pretty impressive and doesn't miss much. I took note of all the movies that did not get the correct metadata attached. Plugged in my hard drive to my Ubuntu system. Made sure there was no typos or that the folder structure was correct. Then when I had Kodi update library it recalculated and fixed all the issues. I will definitely take a closer look Filebot and tinymediamanager. Appreciate the help.
I wasn't much happy with the available apps that rename the video according to the naming convention, so I personally developed a new app for Windows.

I hope you can use it and be happy with it!
*URL REMOVED BY MODERATOR*

Have a nice day!
@weemple For the 2nd time: we are not a free advertising platform for your products.

One more time, and your butt will be kicked off this forum, and your account will be closed.

Last warning.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The correct Video Naming convention!0