Turning PC on with iR Remote
I have an old tired system (signature) that I was thinking of replacing with something smaller, quieter.

I know the old system wouldn't turn on with my iR remote (remote/receiver in signature as well) but, I would like for the new one to be able to be turned on, either with the iR receiver I have now, or something built into the case/board.

I don't need a DVD player, and I have my old GTX650Ti video card that should be more than enough to handle playing a movie. Using the parts builder website (prices in CAD since I'm in Canada) I built this basic system (will run Windows).

Just wondering what do I need to look for in order to have it turn on with the iR?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKkdgL

Case I like, must have 3x3.5" bays inside for drives... but if know of a better/smaller one let me know. Ideally I'd like to get something that fits on the TV stand shelves, not beside the stand on the floor. Maybe an HTPC case or something (cheap).

Mainly though, using my Sony remote to turn the PC on is the goal.

Thanks
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
I can turn my apollo lake nuc on with my harmony remote.
That doesn't really help...
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
You could use this, it's what I use; https://flirc.tv/flirc-streacom-edition
Have also used it in non Streacom cases, just need some sticky tape then.
It'sabout the best that's also universal and you can program almost any remote to work with it.
I would still need to know the name of the feature that the motherboard needs to have to know if it will work... but looks pretty good. Found a YouTube video, I guess a small card that plugs into the mobo onboard USB port and flirc attaches at the front of the case?

I wonder if I take my HP Receiver, dismantle it and use a USB A to USB Motherboard 4-Pin Header adapter, would it work. Since already have the receiver and I think the adapters are about $4 off eBay.
ASRock said that "Board has USB power (supply 5v) while system is off, this function is for charging USB devices."

But also said they had no idea if an iR remote would/wouldn't turn on the PC.

This is for the ASRock H110M-ITX.
It seems to hook to the standard power switch connector, so pretty much any board (outside of NUC5xPYH). And it needs power from a USB charging port which most modern boards support.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
Joined the FLIRC forum to ask/confirm... got a reply back

It should work. You can confirm if you have USB port powered by disconnecting the device from power, then plug something that draw power from USB (like a phone) and connect the power. The device should indicate that it draws the power from USB. But you actually connect the Flirc SE to the internal USB port pin header. You need to make sure that these ports are also powered (there's a small risk that only external ports are powered when shut down, but I think the internal should also be powered).

To record the power button you need to use command line utility flirc_util (it's installed together with Flirc GUI) by calling
flirc_util.exe record power

and then pressing the button you want. But you need to remember, that this button can't be assigned to anything else. It'll always "push" the motherboard power button, so when the system is started it will shutdown or go to sleep (depending on the system settings) when you press the button again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning PC on with iR Remote0