Windows 10 Creators Update breaks SMB sharing
My solution was simply to enter my Windows user ID and password at the Kodi prompt instead of messing with guest accounts.
Windows was just updated with this Creators Update and suddenly my SMB shares are broken as well.

When I try to access the folder, it says 'Invalid Argument'. And if I click OK it says 'Can not connect to netwerkserver' or something.

Guess windows has been messing with the sharing settings. Haven't found which setting is causing this, but it's annoying like hell.
Anyone found a solution to this?
I updated my media computer to creators update, and since I can't access my
SMB shares through Kodi, and also can't access the mapped drives from same computer
from other computers in my network.
Windows 10
Control Panel
Programs and Features
Turn Windows Features on or off
Scroll down to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and make sure it has a check mark....

As I understand things, fresh/custom installs of Win 10 CU may have this OFF by default...
i checked and my SMB is check on
still same issue
i cant see HDD in kodi over SMB
(2017-07-04, 22:54)flhthemi Wrote: Scroll down to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and make sure it has a check mark....
Hopefully future releases of Kodi will do without SMB 1.0. It's disabled by default because it's an obsolete and unsecure protocol, as far as I know.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2017-07-07, 13:07)ashlar Wrote:
(2017-07-04, 22:54)flhthemi Wrote: Scroll down to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and make sure it has a check mark....
Hopefully future releases of Kodi will do without SMB 1.0. It's disabled by default because it's an obsolete and unsecure protocol, as far as I know.

for local network unsecured ?
how many people u know had problem with it ?
(2017-07-07, 13:48)Neocro Wrote: for local network unsecured ?

I haven't had one issue.
(2017-07-07, 13:48)Neocro Wrote: for local network unsecured ?
Feel free to search about the reasons that brought Microsoft to disable it by default. For legacy reasons it's still needed but... well, eliminating legacy it's part of regular software development, I guess. Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I had the same problem, it turns out that password protected sharing has been turned on in the update, changed it back to off and bingo!

Network and Sharing Center - Advanced sharing settings - all networks - password protected sharing - set to off
It's confirmed that the issue is the master browser/computer browser glitch in Windows 10 version 1703

You have to put a USB drive into your router (in case your router has that option). I have a Netgear router, which has USB ports and can SMB share these drives automatically. So once you plugged in your drive, it's shared (may need to set up some things in the router page settings, depending on yours), and then you need to turn off all your Win10 machine(s). Now restart one by one If everything works as expected the Hard Drive attached to the router will become now the Master and you will be able to see all your shared computers again and any device can access every device in it. Why? Because the Linux-based operating system on your router takes over as MASTER BROWSER and creates the WORKGROUP instead of the buggy Win10CU.

You can use this "Lanscan" tool, to tell you which device on your network is the current master browser Scottie's Lanscan

After doing this I'm able to see my entire network and shared computers and since my router stays on 24/7 will stay MASTER until I have to reboot the router. Remember that if you ever need to reboot the router you will have to turn off the computers as well and turn on the router first.

Last but not least remember that this is a workaround. This doesn't mean the problem is solved, we still need a real solution from Microsoft.
Sorry for reviving old thread but it seems another thing that happens when windows 10 updates to newer versions is that it automatically reactivates the "activate password protected shares" or whatever it's called in Advanced Sharing Settings.. Has happened every big windows update, so I need to go and disable it again, as I don't want or need password protected shares.  So for people getting the password promt when trying connecting after an update should check that, if they are using non password protected shares like me.
I'm also hoping some some kind of fix. My Kodi box has been basically useless for nearly three weeks.
Created an account just to help out.
I have a dutch version of windows 10 running, so will try to transalte it.

Control Panel> Network Center > Advanced Settings for Sharing > 
On the section/panel 'All networks'
1. Turn off password protected sharing
2. Select on the section 'Mediastreaming' the option 'options for media streaming' ==> Turn on sharing

The option 'turn on sharing' was deactivated after the update.
It's now working again, I can connect to SMB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 Creators Update breaks SMB sharing0