Mac Mini vs Nvidia Shield 2017 vs Xiaomi Mi Box
I'll briefly describe my current set up. I currently have a 2011 Mac Mini with 8gb of memory and an SSD. But I literally pretty much just use it to run VLC, connect to my NAS where all of my downloads go, and use the browser for services like Netflix, Hulu, etc. I've experimented with Kodi and Plex. I like Kodi better but was disappointed to see that no set top players supported the app (e.g. Roku or what not). So that kind of stalled my fully adopting Kodi.

Since there are now solid Android set top boxes I think I can finally sell the Mac Mini and get something that's more of a smart tv/media center set up instead of clumsily using the browser and file explorer on a full on computer that I don't really utilize for anything but media. I just bought a Xaomi Mi Box 4k to replace the Roku 3 in the bedroom so we can access the Kodi library on the NAS. But when I posted in a NVidia Shield forum about replacing the Mac Mini with the Shield there were some tepid responses. I've looked at the pinned thread about Kodi set top box recommendations and consistently the Mi Box and Shield were most recommended. Mac Mini's would surface occasionally. My main annoyance is as stated, it's cumbersome even with a great wireless mouse to use an all out computer for media only, and it feels like I'm kind of wasting the power of the machine and by extension wasting some money. I would prefer just to switch inputs, and then control a set top box or Shield via a remote, or bundle it into my universal remote. I never had any luck with accessing Hulu or Netflix within Kodi so I usually start at the desktop and then open the Kodi app or another streaming service. If things go well enough I may put a Mi Box on our main tv in addition to the bedroom. What most intrigued me about a Shield is it's support, power, and Google Assistant coming in 2017 as I'm a pretty tightly integrated Google Home.

Thanks for the feedback and answering all of my noob questions Smile

Mod edit I had to correct the spelling of Xiaomi in the thread title Wink
I have a similar set up to yours.

I use a Windows 7 PC as the HTPC, it loads Kodi at boot (actually it's EventGhost, but nevermind.), since it is primarily a Kodi device. In order to access online services it can launch Firefox from Kodi's main menu, which automatically loads Netflix.com. All Firefox control is done via a keyboard and mouse, as opposed to a universal IR remote which has total control over Kodi.

As reliable as my HTPC is...it has to go. It is too inconvenient to use Netflix on it when there are better solutions. Right now I am torn between replacing it with a Wetek device, the Nvidia Shield, or the Xiaomi Mi Box. It all depends on your setup, what features you want, and how often you use Kodi. My roommate uses the HTPC all day, it's pretty much her's. So I am leaning towards replacing it with a Wetek device since they are good overall Kodi boxes. My bedroom I tend to use more online services, like Netflix, and HD audio, so I am thinking of getting an Nvidia Shield for myself.

I, too, had a Mac Mini as my first HTPC. It did not last since Kodi (aka XBMC) was too buggy on Mac OS at the time to be reliable. Also, IR remote support for free was questionable, at the time (2009/10)
Amusingly, I searched for '?' and found no results so you didn't really ask any questions!

As for your comments, you cannot "run Netflix" natively within Kodi so it's not worth even trying it. Yes there are hacks and workarounds like the one described above, but that's not natively within Kodi.

I have a Mac Mini, Xiaomi Mi Box, cheapo S905 LibreElec box, Apple TV 4 and an Acer Revo running OpenElec.

They're not all on the same TV of course, but I can relate to all of your comments in one way or another.

I would suggest the Xiaomi Mi Box because it's a cheap way to see if it will suit your needs, which you haven't really fully detailed. It will allow you to run Netflix (up to 4K), Youtube, and Kodi (amongst other apps which I have not used or installed on mine, so I won't comment). Netflix is awesome. Youtube is awesome. Kodi is awesome, it plays back everything I've thrown at it from my Synology NAS over wifi AND ethernet.
You own the mi box already. Try it for a week in the lounge before replacing the roku. Post back any issues.
My Xaomi Mi Box won't arrive for a few days but I'll definitely report back after using it for a while.

@KoopaTroopa - thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear the Mi Box does well with a Synology NAS as that's what I use as well. And I agree with your assessment to start with trying the Mi Box hence why it was the first one I bought instead of the Shield. As for my "needs" I basically want a set top box that you can use a remote with and has a basic easy to use interface instead of an all on computer OS with a lot of extra features I don't use. My other basic need is wanting it to run Kodi either natively or side-loaded.

It's the last requirement that hasn't really had many well supported, reliable, and performant options until now. I know the Shield has been around a while but its price tag and more gaming oriented features hadn't appealed. It honestly wasn't until the Mi Box came out that it reinvigorated my interest in an Android TV set top since the reviews said that it was basically the succesor to the poorly reviewed Nexus TV puck.

Thanks for the input guys Smile
I have. 2011 Mac mini as well. How much can u get for it if you sell it now. I figured I wouldn't get much and just repurposed it for general usage which it doesn't see too much of
Observations, for use as a Kodi Krypton media player: (I have a 2011 iMac SSD, close to the same spec as 2011 Mac Mini SSD)

- Ease of use with a Wireless Voice remote control, winners = Android TV OS platforms = Shield & Mi Box. Note some Shield owners absolutely hate the overly sensitive touchpad volume control on the Shields mini remote. No such issues with the Mi Box remote.

- Apps availability for easy to use media streaming services, winner = Shield, plus it gets HDR Netflix & Amazon Apps. Mi Box is pretty good though.

- HD Audio Passthrough, winner = Mi Box (surprisingly), Shield is having reliability issues for IEC Passthrough.
You can always fall back to HD Audio, decoded to lossless Multichannel PCM which the Mac Mini and Shield can do.

- Deinterlacing for Live TV, clear winner = Mac Mini. Krypton using mediacodec decoding has broken Deinterlacing for both the Shield and Mi Box.

- Varied 1080p Video codec playback support, winner = Mac Mini, what cannot be Hardware decoded can definitely be Software decoded.

- Peripherals Support for all manner of Multiple HDD's. USB attachments etc, winner = Mac Mini

- NFS, SMB, Networked connectivity, clear winner = Mac Mini

- 4K video playback support, due to HDMI 2.0, winners = Shield & Mi Box. Mac Mini is HDMI 1.4

- Speed and Kodi fluidity with a Large media Library, winner = Mac Mini. SSD storage in a proper Desktop device beats eMMC Flash storage media players every day of the week.

- OS Stability, winner = Mac Mini. The Mi Box is actually pretty stable too. The Shield is having "teething" issues at the moment with the new Android Nougat OS update and Kodi Krypton which is to be expected with any major Android OS update.

(2017-02-07, 06:49)wrxtasy Wrote: Observations, for use as a Kodi Krypton media player: (I have a 2011 iMac SSD, close to the same spec as 2011 Mac Mini SSD)

- Ease of use with a Wireless Voice remote control, winners = Android TV OS platforms = Shield & Mi Box. Note some Shield owners absolutely hate the overly sensitive touchpad volume control on the Shields mini remote. No such issues with the Mi Box remote.

- Apps availability for easy to use media streaming services, winner = Shield, plus it gets HDR Netflix & Amazon Apps. Mi Box is pretty good though.

- HD Audio Passthrough, winner = Mi Box (surprisingly), Shield is having reliability issues for IEC Passthrough.
You can always fall back to HD Audio, decoded to lossless Multichannel PCM which the Mac Mini and Shield can do.

- Deinterlacing for Live TV, clear winner = Mac Mini. Krypton using mediacodec decoding has broken Deinterlacing for both the Shield and Mi Box.

- Varied 1080p Video codec playback support, winner = Mac Mini, what cannot be Hardware decoded can definitely be Software decoded.

- Peripherals Support for all manner of Multiple HDD's. USB attachments etc, winner = Mac Mini

- NFS, SMB, Networked connectivity, clear winner = Mac Mini

- 4K video playback support, due to HDMI 2.0, winners = Shield & Mi Box. Mac Mini is HDMI 1.4

- Speed and Kodi fluidity with a Large media Library, winner = Mac Mini. SSD storage in a proper Desktop device beats eMMC Flash storage media players every day of the week.

- OS Stability, winner = Mac Mini. The Mi Box is actually pretty stable too. The Shield is having "teething" issues at the moment with the new Android Nougat OS update and Kodi Krypton which is to be expected with any major Android OS update.

What about refresh rate switching and 1000/1001 support? One of the most vital functionalities in a Media Player for me is automatic switching between 23.976p, 50p and 59.94p output - as well as compatibility with the few 24.000p sources I have (mainly European Blu-rays)

Fixed refresh rate output - or refresh rates that need to be manually edited in 'system settings' are a non-starter for many people who care about AV quality.

If you bust a gut to get Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA lossless audio bitstreamed, you're surely going to want to watch 23.976p without a jump every 40" due to 24.000vs23.976 output and without 3:2 judder of 59.94/60Hz output BUT if you always watch DVDs, some Blu-rays or Live/Recorded TV you'll also probably want 50 or 59.94Hz output for these sources...
(2017-02-07, 11:15)noggin Wrote: What about refresh rate switching and 1000/1001 support? One of the most vital functionalities in a Media Player for me is automatic switching between 23.976p, 50p and 59.94p output - as well as compatibility with the few 24.000p sources I have (mainly European Blu-rays)

Fixed refresh rate output - or refresh rates that need to be manually edited in 'system settings' are a non-starter for many people who care about AV quality.

If you bust a gut to get Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA lossless audio bitstreamed, you're surely going to want to watch 23.976p without a jump every 40" due to 24.000vs23.976 output and without 3:2 judder of 59.94/60Hz output BUT if you always watch DVDs, some Blu-rays or Live/Recorded TV you'll also probably want 50 or 59.94Hz output for these sources...

Yes totally agree with all you have written Noggin Smile

I Did not talk about Refresh Switching as:

a) Not implemented on Mac Mini using OSX. Maybe when using Windows ?

b) Not working on the Xiaomi Mi Box.

c) Yes the nVIDIA Shield has Refresh switching but there are a bunch of reports about unreliability at the moment, especially when combined with HD Audio Passthrough. The Shield is the winner for reliable Auto Refresh Switching when used with a straight to TV HDMI connection.

As for 23.976p, 50p and 59.94p output:

a) 50p - Yes when manually selected and with the Mac HDMI connected to a TV. No 23.976p or 59.94p unless you use Windows which gets rid of a lot of OSX restrictions for Video as well as Audio output. The 2011 Mac - Sandy Bridge Processor has the 'ol infamous Intel 24p bug too.

b) Fractional refresh rate output (AMLogic's internally named - Frame Rate Automation) is working on the Mi Box, but you have to manually switch output Hz Display settings.

c) Working on the nVIDIA Shield and if you have reliable Auto Refresh Switching, I would say its the winner.

I'm reading Shield issues with Mixed mode HDMI 1.4 / HDMI 2.0 equiptment usage. Combine those two on the Shield it seems users report broken refresh switching.

Really further Firmware updates are needed for both the Shield and Mi Box to fix issues to implement seamless Kodi usage we see when using Kodi LibreELEC.

For Kodi Krypton - Intel Linux / LibreELEC or AML LibreELEC look like they have the least number of issues at the moment.
The 64bit Linux/LibreELEC Kodi memory leak bug was solved just last night/ this morning too by the Linux/Kodi master blaster - Popcornmix ! Smile

(2017-02-07, 14:25)wrxtasy Wrote: I Did not talk about Refresh Switching as:

a) Not implemented on Mac Mini using OSX. Maybe when using Windows ?
When running Windows or Linux the Mac Mini is 'any other Intel box' - so Haswell and later will be 1000/1001 and auto switching, Ivy Bridge and earlier will be auto switching but won't give you 1000/1001 support (i.e. 23.976/59.94)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini vs Nvidia Shield 2017 vs Xiaomi Mi Box0