Which PI - Which Distro
Hello there.

I recently came across Kodi and I have to say it's just an amazing piece of SW. I also found this forum and I've been lurking around for a few days. Now I finally decided to register and hope this community can help me solving my issues.

Last year a bought a Synology NAS (https://www.cheap.forsale/synology-ds216) to make my life and storage a little easier. Now with Kodi set up on my home PC everything works just fine. But it's still a little inconvenient. The PC is not running all the time. So I just found an old Raspberry PI (Modell B) I bought back in 2015.
My plan is to use the Synology as a storage device and the PI to distribute the media and stream it to the local devices, mainly my kid's tablets and our smart TV.

I read that there is a possibility to run Kodi on the PI. I know that video streaming and encoding can be quite computationally intensive. So I was asking my self it's convenient to use the old one or just buy a new, cheap one online. I already checked out some websites for classified ads and nowadays you can get one really cheaply. I guess a Modell 2 would be fine. I don't thinks it would make much of a difference to a Modell 3.

Anyway. Before I get started I would like to get some advice here. Also there some easy Kodi centric distributions around and I would like to know which ones are suitable for a beginner.

I'm not that experienced when it comes down to PIs and Linux, so any advice is highly appreciated.

Ko.
A Pi Model B is just fine. I use 3 of them daily. The only drawback with them is that they need tweaking to get the best out of them. But there is plenty of info on how to do that. But with a little work, a good 2 amp PSU, quality leads and the fastest/best quality SD card you can lay your paws on, they make a decent job of it. A Pi 2 needs minimal tweaking and I can't speak about a Pi 3 as I have never used one, but it'll be better still.

LibreELEC would be my distro of choice.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2017-02-07, 10:15)speedwell68 Wrote: A Pi Model B is just fine. I use 3 of them daily. The only drawback with them is that they need tweaking to get the best out of them. But there is plenty of info on how to do that. But with a little work, a good 2 amp PSU, quality leads and the fastest/best quality SD card you can lay your paws on, they make a decent job of it. A Pi 2 needs minimal tweaking and I can't speak about a Pi 3 as I have never used one, but it'll be better still.

LibreELEC would be my distro of choice.

Alright. I will give it a try. I guess there is plenty of information here available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which PI - Which Distro0