v17 Going back after selecting shortcut from home menu doesn't return home?
I think in Kodi 17, the ",return" for Activatewindow only works with video and audio library. Doesn't work anymore for items outside library.

For example using a shortcut to a program addon like AEL (with ",return") in a hub (like in Artic Zephyr and a few other skins) )
The parentdir command will bring you back through the addon hierarchy to the root of the addon, and not to the starting point (the hub)

Not sure if it is intended but that is a change compared to Kodi 16.
Also with many skins now relying on skin shortcuts and creating custom entries, it doesn't quite work as expected anymore.
im surprised there is not more chatter about this.,,

this is a huge difference in navigation behavior between v16 and v17 imo

using something like super favorites to create folders of items, it is really annoying to back into a folder of all of the folders anytime you have accessed a shortcut from the main menu
any solution or work around?
Only thing we can try at the user level is to play with keymap (replacing parentdir/back by close)
Won't work well if your shortcut goes to a folder+subfolder structure
or use 2 different buttons one for back and one for close
I have this exact same issue, using the Xonfluence skin. I have a custom interface, with sub folders of addons mapped directly from the home screen.

The back button goes up one level in the addon, instead of going back to the home screen.

Here is where it gets weirder... I have the Master Lock enabled to lock my family out of the addons. Every time they go back, which would normally take them to the home screen, they get a prompt for the master lock code!! WhaaaatHuh?

Of course, if you enter the master lock code, it goes back to the home screen!

Curiouser and curiouser thought Alice...

Any advice from the Kodi dev team would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ken
Just upgraded to Kyrpton and had this issue too - I'm downgrading again until this is fixed, not sure why a bigger deal hasn't been made

From user perspective it's so disorienting - Pressing 'back' should always bring you to the previous menu you were just on, regardless of if you were using a shortcut or not.
Nobody from the Kodi team has any thoughts or comments? :-)
Yes, I'm feeling the same frustration using the Xonfluence skin. It disrupts the flow of the navigation process. I hope this is something that can be addressed. I wonder what the behavior is in Kodi 18. Has anybody had a chance to take Leia for a test drive yet?
I must admit this behaviour is driving me a little nuts.

If I'm at point "A" and jump to point "Z" via a custom shortcut, I'd expect pressing 'back' would take me back to 'A' and not Z - Y - X - W - V - U - T - S ---- "A"

Pressing backspace should take you back out the same way you came in, not via the current directories parent folders... Unless of course you came in via its parent directory.

As others have pointed out, using ',return) isn't working as expected.
Hey Everybody;

I am also surprised that there is not more discussion about this online, so I thought I would add to the conversation and mention that this is driving me crazy as well. Hopefully; if enough people say something Team Kodi will notice and help us out. I am trying to put together a skin configuration that has many shortcuts to make it as easy as possible to find what I am looking for, but this behaviour is destroying the flow of things and totally bumming me out. It worked perfectly fine in Jarvis, but I don't really want to roll back, so it would be super awesome if someone could provide us with a fix or a workaround. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Looks like I spoke with a developer who is going to fix this issue, in time. Yay!

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=313443

Cheers,
Ken
OK fix has been made and merged into the Kodi code!

A huge thanks again to the developers for actioning this so quickly! null_pointer, xhaggi and jenkins

Cheers,
Ken
(2017-05-09, 00:22)kenmills Wrote: OK fix has been made and merged into the Kodi code!

A huge thanks again to the developers for actioning this so quickly! null_pointer, xhaggi and jenkins

Cheers,
Ken

That is super awesome!!! Thank you to anyone and everyone who had a part in fixing that for us. I found that issue to be particularly frustrating, but I am grateful that it has been taken care of.

So has the fix been merged into all the code, or is their a specific version I have to download? I suppose what I am asking is; has the fix been applied to the "Release" Version, or do I have to download one of the nightly builds?

I am going to go ahead and just try the release version right now, but if anyone happens to know the answer to my question off hand; I'm sure I'm not the only person who would find the answer useful.

Thanks again!
If I use my harmony smart remote on an Andriod box it goes back one step pressing guide or exit.
On my Pi3 and my Odroid pressing guide takes it back to the home screen. Exit same as before one step.
So I thought I would give everybody an update. I tried the official release of Kodi 17.1 and the fix had not been applied. So I downloaded the c6430b5 nightly build and found that the fix had been applied there. That build is working very well for me so far; better than the official release I would say. The issue this thread discusses has been dealt with, and the fix works perfectly; for that reason alone I would recommend trying a nightly build. Navigation is far smoother, which improves the user interface significantly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going back after selecting shortcut from home menu doesn't return home?0