Which add-ons do I use?
Hi,

I have been using KODI 14.2 for a long time, and have done quite a few customizations over the period. I am thinking of moving to a newer version, and want to back-up my video library first as described here: HOW-TO:Backup_the_video_library (wiki)

However, it is stated that add-ons and their settings are not backed-up. Will installing a newer version of KODI add my existing add ons, or will this need to be done manually afterwards? I simply no longer remember which add-ons I am using (I know there are some related to remote controls, short cut key strokes etc). Is there any way of finding out which add-ons are in use, so I can take note of this before I install a newer version. Otherwise I am afraid I'll use weeks and months of reinventing the wheel before I can get a new KODI to work like I want?

To all who have upgraded/updated before, my apologies for these very basic questions, but I have never tried this before, and I am very nervous that a system I have used and relied on for many years, and where I have spend 100s of hours tweaking it to my liking, might not work properly.... Blush
What operating system are you using?
Sorry, Windows 7 64 bit
That makes life relatively easy.
If it were me I'd try to do a completely separate upgrade - leaving your kodi14.2 in place and untouched.
If you do that there's no need to back up your video library (unless the update fails, in which case you can still back up from 14.2).
It also means you can continue to use 14.2 whilst tweaking / fixing / perfecting / kicking 17.

Steps would be:
- set up kodi 17 as a portable install - that means install krypton to somewhere other than program files, make and edit a shortcut to kodi.exe.
- copy your data folder from kodi 14 into the new folder.
- start kodi 17, let it do its stuff; then troubleshoot or post 'hurray.'

If you want to go that route I'll post some more specific instructions.
Merci monsieur (I am assuming) Troggy, I want to go the route you suggest! :-) If you have more specific instructions I would be most grateful!! Laugh
One thing though, I think I DO want to back up the library, so all the information I have customized over the years (whether movies I have had to manually add, or artwork etc) is saved? I guess this will otherwise be lost when making a clean installation, with all the information collected/scraped from internet? Or am I mistaken?
I'm about as French as a Lancashire hotpot. Wink

Righto then...
First of all back up your data:
Make sure kodi isn't running
Click the windows button and in the search bar type '%APPDATA%' and hit return.
You'll see a list of folders, one of which is 'Kodi'.
Copy that folder to your desktop (or wherever).
Once that's done your data is safe.
Edit: yes, your library is safe this way - as you're not touching your 14.2 install. All your library info is still there, and hopefully it will all end up in krypton if the database update works as it should do.

Now do that portable install...
Download krypton.
Start the installer, choose your options and when it gets to 'Destination Folder' browse to the root of your C drive.
So in the 'destination folder' box you see: 'C:\Kodi'
On the next page check the 'do not create shortcuts' box and then 'Install'.
Walk away for 5 minutes.
If all goes to plan you have installed krypton.
Click 'finish' (make sure 'run kodi' is not checked).

Now to make that portable...
Navigate to C:\Kodi\kodi.exe, right click and click 'Create shortcut'.
Right click on the shortcut you've just made (kodi.exe - Shortcut) and click on 'properties'
Change what's in the 'target' box from
Quote:C:\Kodi\kodi.exe
to
Quote:C:\Kodi\kodi.exe -p
Click 'Apply', close the shortcut.
Done

Now to start kodi
Re-name your shortcut to eg 'Krypton portable', copy it to your desktop and double click it.
Kodi should now start - no settings, everything's untouched.
Let kodi through your firewall, then shut it down.

Now look in your C:\Kodi folder.
You should see a folder called 'portable_data' - go into that folder and delete everything.
You'll replace that with the data from your 14.2....
Copy the contents of that 'Kodi' folder you stuck on your desktop at the start into the portable_data folder.

And that's it. Try to start krypton again - this time it will take a lot longer, as it will be updating databases / addons.
When it's done give it a go.
Thanks a lot!! (BTW the 'I assume' was gender-, not nationality-related Wink )

Look forward to trying this evening! :-)

One more thing, as part of a general HTPC upgrade I have had to move my ripped content to a new NAS with a different name than before, so I need to change the pathname. What's the best way of doing that, before or after I make a back up and install the new version of KODI, keeping in mind my wish to maintain all customization?
Ah, gotcha, in that case oui, tu as raison. Nod

If you're moving media the straightforward solution is probably to re-scan.
To do that and keep your current tweaks / artwork / whatever you'd need to export your library to separate files, then lose the existing library and sources, set new sources and re-scan.

Other alternatives:
- exporting to a single file, which IIRC is problematical in that artwork doesn't work if you're changing the path.
- path substitutions (via advancedsettings.xml, see the wiki). This would work (all my sources have been path subs for years by design), it's quick, but if it's a permanent change of path it's not very elegant and possibly will be confusing).
- editing the videoxx.db directly - I think this is possible, it might even be straightforward, but I've never needed to do it so nothing useful to write. Might be worth a search though.

Edit:
Before or after? I can't see why it would matter. Either way the process is pretty much the same.
You could do the 'export to separate files' from 14.2, then when you copy your data into the krypton folder leave out the following files / folders:
userdata > sources.xml
userdata > database > videoxx.db*
userdata > database > musicxx.db*
userdata > database > addonsxx.db*
userdata > Thumbnails

* where xx = any number

Then when krypton starts you add your new sources, set content and scan. You should end up with a new library, but with the same info as before.

Edit 2: bear in mind the 'export to separate files' does leave a bunch of files (.nfo's, .jpg's) mixed in with your media. That may or may not be a minor nuisance.
Just one thing Daves ways is the way to go BUT, you will most likely, have small speed bumps meaning when switching channels or other small speed changes menus will prob be slow to load not much small things, but yea Daves way is the Way , hey trog how are you today
Thank You
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
(2017-02-08, 14:43)trogggy Wrote: Righto then...
Edit: yes, your library is safe this way - as you're not touching your 14.2 install. All your library info is still there, and hopefully it will all end up in krypton if the database update works as it should do.

Download krypton.
Start the installer, choose your options and when it gets to 'Destination Folder' browse to the root of your C drive.
Walk away for 5 minutes.

Right click on the shortcut you've just made (kodi.exe - Shortcut) and click on 'properties'
to
Done

Tried following these instructions to the letter, but when I try to change the target of the shortcut by adding "-p" after 'kodi.exe' I am warned that the name is invalid!? I am trying to set the target as: C:\KODI\kodi.exe-p

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Confused I know I am using the folder name in all capitals, but that is what the folder is called, it is not a typo in the target.
You wrote C:\KODI\kodi.exe-p

But should be C:\KODI\kodi.exe -p

Add a space
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-06-01, 13:02)cgroth Wrote:
(2017-02-08, 14:43)trogggy Wrote: Righto then...

Download krypton.
Walk away for 5 minutes.

to
Done

Tried following these instructions to the letter, but when I try to change the target of the shortcut by adding "-p" after 'kodi.exe' I am warned that the name is invalid!? I am trying to set the target as: C:\KODI\kodi.exe-p

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Confused I know I am using the folder name in all capitals, but that is what the folder is called, it is not a typo in the target.

Is that just an error in your post or did you really forgot the space before -p when trying to change target
Moanbag is in da place!
No space, that was it, thanks!Laugh
Tongue 
Seems to have worked without a hitch, fingers crossed for detailed testing over the coming days! Thanks for all help :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which add-ons do I use?0