Win Proper video setup for Intel graphics and HDTV
Good morning everyone, I'm running Kodi 17.0 on a Windows 10 machine. The graphics are provided from a 3rd generation Intel i3-3245 Ivy Bridge processor to a 1080p HDTV via HDMI. I've read in some reviews that Intel chips had some problems passing through video properly before the 4th generation chips (Haswell, 4xxx series).

I was watching a Blu Ray rip last night and I noticed some stuttering on panning scenes. I reviewed a few other videos and noticed it on those as well. Given the multitude of graphics options in the Intel drivers and Kodi itself, is there a quick reference guide of some sort for the 'best practice' I should have setup for my relatively simple system? Any good links to test videos to test everything out?

Thanks!
1080p Blu-rays will be mastered at either 23.976p (very common) or 24.000p (rare - but seen sometimes in Europe)

Ideally you'd get Kodi to output in 1080/23.97p or 24.000p (in Windows these are often called 23 and 24) if your TV can accept these, otherwise 59.94 or 60.00 (Windows calls these 59 and 60) will work with 3:2 pulldown. For European DVDs and TV (and some Blu-ray) you want 50Hz. Getting Kodi to adjust refresh rate automatically is usually a good idea - but you may find you have to alter overscan settings in your video drivers for each mode (I haven't used Windows Kodi for so long I can't remember to be honest)

However you're right - there is a gotcha. All the Intel Core series (Clarkwell, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge) until Haswell had 'the 24p bug' - which meant they couldn't output 23.976p accurately. This meant a frame repeat would happen - as frequently, in some cases, as every 40". You can get round this in Kodi if you don't want bitstreamed audio, by 'sync playback to display', but it is a compromise.
This is incredibly helpful, thank you! I just have a soundbar so no need to bitstream
It was possible to get 23.972 or something on Ivy bridge. I can't remember all the details. Just ask google. If that 23.972 number is correct, that would mean a frame skip each and every 6000 seconds, which is more than the length of most movies. At least that's the theory, it might not be that swell in real practice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper video setup for Intel graphics and HDTV0