Add on giving error, requires root for py. help...
Hello,

I am having an issue where the python won't run in my add on because it requires root access. How can you define root access for an addon? Is it even possible?

The script is supposed to be run in the background and is supposed to start at login.

Link to log: see last 5 lines

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23956619/

If you guys need anything else I am more than happy to supply. (XML or PY)

P.s the script works when I force it in command line (sudo)

Thanks,
Mark
You want root access when you have banned addons (wiki) installed? Especially exodus, given its recently been linked to a DDOS botnet?

We don't support any install containing such junk as they violate our forum rules (wiki) on piracy.

https://torrentfreak.com/popular-kodi-ad...et-170203/
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Didn't know exodus was a banned add-on. I am not write code for Exodus, I am making code that will interface with Kodi, not exodus. Trying to make my own IR remote for my raspberry pi that will work on Kodi.
perhaps some tips here:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/que...ng-as-root
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Okay quick, question here because you brought it up Darren.
I am tired so if i read it wrong i apologize, But the TV Addons, is a Banned addon correct?
And exodus ofc, so i am a bit confused here.

When i installed Kodi 17, i found a dev repo from a skinner who has a skin in the official kodi Repo, the Dev repo was from dec last year, and among other things the TV Addon was in that repo,
I am not trying to start anything so relax, this is not meant for you Darren or Ronie, but someone else.

My question is, i have read the rules again but still confused and since English is not my native language, i could be reading the rules wrong.
But as i read them as long as any coder does not violate the ofc repo with no no's he can distribute via his dev repo or is this wrong.

JUST TO CLARIFY I DO NOT USE ANY BANNED ADDONS.
My last no no went out the windows when the Sheriff above got his Man.
So i am not asking about that, but i am asking as to what extend a coder can offer now banned no no's and at the same time have a repo and addons in the official repo.

If i am of topic its not on, purpose and i am not trying to be difficult, but Since my English and prob a lot of other people only goes so far, i might have read the rules wrong.
So no flaming getting a bit tired of trying to ask, important questions, but my post always end up having the opposite effect. i am not trying to be difficult, but since the Forum is constructed the way it is, its unavoidable to be in the right forum and not go of topic.

But since its your house i can't make the rules, Big Grin
And trust me as tired you guys are of me, i am of trying to be on Topic.

So to sum up, can a coder offer banned addons in his dev repo, and at the same time be in the ofc kodi repo, with his approved addons.
I hope i made sense, i will know soon enough.
So please understand i am not being of topic on purpose, you just opened the door.

And post got long sry bout that. but i believe the question is legit enough, i hope Big Grin
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
(2017-02-09, 00:52)mark_logan Wrote: Didn't know exodus was a banned add-on. I am not write code for Exodus, I am making code that will interface with Kodi, not exodus. Trying to make my own IR remote for my raspberry pi that will work on Kodi.

My point was you're looking to give Kodi root access when it's infected with that kind of add-on. You'd be giving it root access, hence who knows quite what security nightmares you may be opening the door to.

Anyway from the log you're using OSMC? You should be able to easily set up an IR remote via the GPIO directly with that, I think it has all you need built-in and just needs to be activated if I remember correctly. It's just going that and then teaching it via lirc.

Just do a search for "osmc gpio ir remote" and you'll get lots of information, and it's quite easy to do both hardware-wise and software-wise without having to write anything.

But I'd still urge you strongly to look at the add-ons you're using, as at the moment you're a security risk (and you're also helping to kill Kodi).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-09, 02:02)kimkl Wrote: Okay quick, question here because you brought it up Darren.
I am tired so if i read it wrong i apologize, But the TV Addons, is a Banned addon correct?
And exodus ofc, so i am a bit confused here.

When i installed Kodi 17, i found a dev repo from a skinner who has a skin in the official kodi Repo, the Dev repo was from dec last year, and among other things the TV Addon was in that repo,
I am not trying to start anything so relax, this is not meant for you Darren or Ronie, but someone else.

My question is, i have read the rules again but still confused and since English is not my native language, i could be reading the rules wrong.
But as i read them as long as any coder does not violate the ofc repo with no no's he can distribute via his dev repo or is this wrong.

JUST TO CLARIFY I DO NOT USE ANY BANNED ADDONS.
My last no no went out the windows when the Sheriff above got his Man.
So i am not asking about that, but i am asking as to what extend a coder can offer now banned no no's and at the same time have a repo and addons in the official repo.

If i am of topic its not on, purpose and i am not trying to be difficult, but Since my English and prob a lot of other people only goes so far, i might have read the rules wrong.
So no flaming getting a bit tired of trying to ask, important questions, but my post always end up having the opposite effect. i am not trying to be difficult, but since the Forum is constructed the way it is, its unavoidable to be in the right forum and not go of topic.

But since its your house i can't make the rules, Big Grin
And trust me as tired you guys are of me, i am of trying to be on Topic.

So to sum up, can a coder offer banned addons in his dev repo, and at the same time be in the ofc kodi repo, with his approved addons.
I hope i made sense, i will know soon enough.
So please understand i am not being of topic on purpose, you just opened the door.

And post got long sry bout that. but i believe the question is legit enough, i hope Big Grin

TvAddons is a site, although they have their own repo I believe.

But to put it simply, any repo at all which contains a banned add-on (wiki) is also considered itself to be banned, even if it contains other perfectly legitimate add-ons as well. So the short answer to your question is "no".

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add on giving error, requires root for py. help...0