DroidBOX hardware - Kodi Trademark Abuse - split from WDTV Live replacement
The github URL for DBMC fork of SPMC is at https://github.com/droidbox/DBMC/commits/spmc-jarvis

Fully Loaded does not have to mean anything illicit is contained within.

Quote:....... DroidBOX load their models with JUST the right software. Legal, efficient and designed with the customer in mind, the DroidBOX range of devices will meet all your needs.
Taken from the Fully Loaded explanation at https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-t8s-plus...ifications

In much the same way that you'll see people and companies (who know the appropriate term is "rooted") advertising Android devices as "jailbroken", because this is what customers actually search for.
"Fully Loaded" is a known term that associates Kodi with video Piracy - advertising any Kodi media player using such terms does the free Kodi project no favours and will not sit well with the Kodi community.

Quote:Fully Loaded

Our devices are fully loaded with the right systems in place to allow customer to easily install the code they need to provide never-ending online entertainment. Whether applications to stream your favourite films and TV series, or software to ensure you see the latest Hollywood blockbusters with just a few taps...

But what do DroidBOX care, so long as they attract customers via a Google Web Crawler Search engine. Sad

I suggest DroidBOX get their house in Order and distance themselves completely from the Kodi project.
This includes complete rebranding...

They are Abusing the Kodi Trademark at the moment and this will NOT be tolerated.

https://github.com/droidbox/DBMC/commit/...c046a7e82f
https://github.com/droidbox/DBMC/commit/...226aa4e860

http://kodi.wiki/view/Forks

Quote:The XBMC Foundation requires that all forks of Kodi/XBMC must be rebranded, unless otherwise granted permission from the XBMC Foundation. In other words, they cannot be called Kodi or XBMC, and may not include the Kodi or XBMC logos, graphics, or other trademarks. While it is okay to say that the fork is based on Kodi/XBMC, such a statement must not be made in such a way that suggests any kind of endorsement or official status from the Kodi project or XBMC Foundation.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

Title of this Thread Changed to indicate Kodi Trademark Abuse

What repos are included in the add-ons section?
I mean, if they just use the term "fully loaded" on the PR text, since that has become a household expression for "fully loaded with illegal addons", but the boxes themselves come clean without addons or repos, then that could be viewed as something in the gray zone.

But you cannot exactly forbid anyone to use a household expression to get higher up on google. It's not like they'll get sued for *not* including illegal addons. I doubt anyone can prove in a courtroom that "Fully loaded" actually means "fully loaded with piracy addons to watch copyrighted material for free", when the box itself is clean.

If everyone started to do this, then actually the term "fully loaded" will actually start to lose it's (piracy) meaning. That'll confuse the pirates, and making it harder for them when they no longer can trust "fully loaded" PR text.

Imagine a pirate buying a "fully loaded" box, expecting free TV forever, only to find a squeeky clean Kodi/SPMC/DBMC install... Surely that *would* be helping Kodi and would be much preferable than the opposite.
(2017-02-11, 09:33)Soli Wrote: I mean, if they just use the term "fully loaded" on the PR text, since that has become a household expression for "fully loaded with illegal addons", but the boxes themselves come clean without addons or repos, then that could be viewed as something in the grey zone.
This is an interesting discussion point.
I ask then how would the Kodi community feel if Kodi Diamond Sponsor's started marketing their MINIX, WeTek and NVIDIA devices as "Fully Loaded" as well to boost Google Rankings and at the same time further associating the Kodi project with the known term "Fully Loaded" and its associated Video Piracy ?
Would we put up with that here on the Kodi forum ?

Quote:But you cannot exactly forbid anyone to use a household expression to get higher up on google. It's not like they'll get sued for *not* including illegal addons. I doubt anyone can prove in a courtroom that "Fully loaded" actually means "fully loaded with piracy addons to watch copyrighted material for free", when the box itself is clean.
We are not forbidding anything on a whim, just following pre-written rules determined by Team-Kodi. We Police our own Forum here.

What happens out in the Wild West of the Internet is virtually all beyond Kodi's control, but we can make it very hard for Sellers to even get a mention or toehold here on the forums when selling Kodi devices that are on the boundaries of what is acceptable. This is within our control. The Banned - non GPL Complaint VidON company is an example of this.

Quote:If everyone started to do this, then actually the term "fully loaded" will actually start to lose it's (piracy) meaning. That'll confuse the pirates, and making it harder for them when they no longer can trust "fully loaded" PR text.
Is that straight from the Anarchists cookbook ? Wink

How much of a Massive target would you like to make the free, run by volunteers - Kodi project whilst all this is happening ?
I would imagine Kodi would then get flagged and be looked into by Multinationals Media Companies with very deep pockets to summon an Army of Lawyers to go over in minute detail every aspect of Kodi's operations and compliances. It would be like David and Goliath.

(and for you Amazon Prime - Goliath fans - I do not know Billy Bob Thornton's Phone Number !)

Well, then the pre-written rules should state clearly that the term "fully loaded" (period) is forbidden to use, or any discussion on that particular unit will be banned on the official Kodi forum. And then send a letter to the company explaining this. (for all I know, this is already in place).

I'm not really defending the product, just thinking out loud where do you (you, but also Team Kodi) should or should not set your limits considering damage vs time/nitpicking/practicality, But as moderators on the forum I'm sure you know already have an idea of this.

Quote:Fully Loaded
Our devices are fully loaded with the right systems in place to allow customer to easily install the code they need to provide never-ending online entertainment. Whether applications to stream your favourite films and TV series, or software to ensure you see the latest Hollywood blockbusters with just a few taps, DroidBOX load their models with JUST the right software. Legal, efficient and designed with the customer in mind, the DroidBOX range of devices will meet all your needs

Having taken a second look at the product, it does seems that they knowingly use the term "fully loaded" for what it's worth, and they rephrase it so that they stay clear of the law. They also advertise the product as an "Android Kodi Box", not just an Android Media Center". Like noggin mentioned, they might/might not include piracy repos. (If they do, they should definitely be banned period) It seems they want to have their cake and eat it. They are clearly in the very foggy gray area so yeah, I do agree they should be banned from the forums until they resolve these issues.

Nvidia, Minix and Wetek are of course in the clear. If I'm not mistaken, they simply sell Android Boxes and Kodi is one of the apps included. (They don't sell "Android Kodi Boxes"). They do acknowledge that a lot of their users are using Kodi and so they become sponsors. Win-win.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DroidBOX hardware - Kodi Trademark Abuse - split from WDTV Live replacement0