kodi 17 won't open
Running ubuntu 16.04 lts, kodi up graded from 16. to 17, and now won't open, Had no trouble with 16.1...somebody please help, newbie
I had this issue after upgrading to Krypton as well. It would get past the system boot and then just sit at a blank screen. I assume it had something to do with kodi-openbox so I did the below from my original setup to correct. After I ran the following steps it worked after reboot and the plugin upgrade completed and Krypton was usable. These are just steps taken from Solberos minimal install guide (section 5.2 - excellent guide if you have time to read through) for Jarvis 16.1 on Ubuntu 16.04.

either ssh to your kodi box or open a terminal by pressing CRT-ALT-F1

To install kodi-openbox Xsession, download the latest .zip file from the GitHub master branch. The file is named “openbox-kodi-master.zip” by the below code.

wget -O openbox-kodi-master.zip https://github.com/lufinkey/kodi-openbox...master.zip

Extract the .zip file.
Code:
unzip openbox-master.zip

If you get a prompt telling you are missing the package unzip, install it.
Code:
sudo apt-get install unzip

Move into the extracted directory, create a .deb package from the extracted content and install the .deb.
Code:
cd kodi-openbox-master
bash ./build.sh
sudo dpkg -i kodi-openbox.deb

reboot

Hopes this helps, it fixed it for me.

FYI - The ppa has been updating the packages rather quickly but they were trickling out over the last 36 hours. You may want to do an apt update and then an apt dist-upgrade and see if any additional packages were not out there when you first performed the upgrade.
If that doesn't work , try backing up your kodi config and resetting to defaults

http://kodi.wiki/view/settings#Resetting...to_default
1) Do not delete Kodi 16.1 jarvis

2) reference to banned add-on (wiki) removed - DarrenHill
3) Download Kodi 17.1 Krypton

4) Install Kodi 17.1 choosing to overwrite your previous versions.

It works . I have struggled trying to delete the offending error but the error reinstalls itself.

yes I have now to reload my addons but it is always useful to have a overhaul of the systwem from time to time.

Let me know how you get on.
Do not refer people to banned add-ons (wiki).

This particular one is entirely unnecessary, as simply deleting or renaming the .kodi folder in the users home directory will do the same job.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
None of this helped in my case. I deleted 16.1 though. Will I have to download it again? It was a major pain the first time. Please say it isn't so?
no debug log (wiki) no problem?

You can add the debug log line to advancedsettings,xml if it dosent start.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi 17 won't open0