Solved Tearing / flickering after upgrade (16->17) – STANDALONE ONLY!
Hey there!

(2017-02-22, 17:33)PatK Wrote: Overclocking was the culprit for me, seems that stressing the gpu changing the 'clocks' interferes with the page display. This looks like a timing issue with that graphic card, not sure how to sync it up unless you want to bring out the calculator and figure out speed of the frames, speed of the chips and try and match the display refresh and cross your fingers the software included has the ability to make these kind of minor adjustments.

Yeah, good luck to me! ;-)

Quote:I'd be more inclined to go after the card manufacturer and accuse him of taking shortcuts in the design. This is a support site for AMD cards http://www.rage3d.com/ the AMD guys haunt the forums here.

My Radeon HD 5770 is not far off your Radeon HD 6450, I had some issues with a mint install, but found some beta drivers, that settled out my acceleration issues.

So you're using AMD's drivers? I used to use them a while back, but have been running on the open source drivers for at least two years without any hiccups, so I stuck with those. (I mean, as long as Kodi works fine, I'm happy—and I'm surely not pushing the envelope on what the GPU could do…)
I did try and select the proprietary drivers, but Mint didn't seem happy about it, and I switched back immediately. Maybe I should give the beta drivers you're talking about a try? You don't happen to have a link at hand, do you?

The more I read, the more I'm disillusioned by the fact that my issue is probably due to some unexpected side-effect of changing up one thing or another in some obscure, non-identifiable function of the code that got tweaked and made it into the codebase during the transition from Jarvis to Krypton. :-( That doesn't really give me much hope for a quick or easy fix.

Still, thanks for your insight!
I got some feedback from a developer at AMD. He thinks this is a problem with power management, not tearing. He suggests:

1)
Upgrade kernel to > 4.7

2)
post output of sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info

3)
Add "radeon.dpm=0" to parameters of kernel cmd line and check if problem persists.

There should also be a bug report in Bugzilla for this. Something with "flickering" he remembers.
Hey!

(2017-02-22, 19:55)FernetMenta Wrote: I got some feedback from a developer at AMD. He thinks this is a problem with power management, not tearing. He suggests:

1)
Upgrade kernel to > 4.7

Thanks for the input! I'm currently stuck with step 1. ;-)
I'll keep working on it and keep you posted.
(2017-02-22, 19:55)FernetMenta Wrote: I got some feedback from a developer at AMD. He thinks this is a problem with power management, not tearing. He suggests:

1)
Upgrade kernel to > 4.7

2)
post output of sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info

3)
Add "radeon.dpm=0" to parameters of kernel cmd line and check if problem persists.

There should also be a bug report in Bugzilla for this. Something with "flickering" he remembers.

1)
Code:
> uname -a
< Linux htpc 4.8.17-040817-generic #201701090438 SMP Mon Jan 9 09:40:28 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2)
Code:
> sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
< default engine clock: 200000 kHz
< current engine clock: 200000 kHz
< default memory clock: 667000 kHz

3)
Code:
> sudo cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
< GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.dpm=0"

I have AMD E350 APU, Ubuntu trusty (mint) and the same problem. Problem not solved.
Okay, i found solution for trusty here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnable...rusty_Tahr
Just update system with -lts-xenial packages and install new drivers "mesa-vdpau-drivers-lts-xenial". No need to install mainline kernel 4.7 or higher, no need to disable radeon.dpm.
Maybe need to run "update-grub" after installing new lts kernel.
Hey there!

(2017-02-22, 23:52)NicApicella Wrote:
1)
Upgrade kernel to > 4.7
Thanks for the input! I'm currently stuck with step 1. ;-)
I'll keep working on it and keep you posted.

Sorry for the delay, I got a bit stuck with other things… But:

(2017-02-26, 01:04)Anonym.tsk Wrote: Okay, i found solution for trusty here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnable...rusty_Tahr
Just update system with -lts-xenial packages and install new drivers "mesa-vdpau-drivers-lts-xenial". No need to install mainline kernel 4.7 or higher, no need to disable radeon.dpm.
Maybe need to run "update-grub" after installing new lts kernel.

This works for me too!

What I did was basically run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-core-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-video-all-lts-xenial xserver-xorg-input-all-lts-xenial libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-xenial
(And install a couple more recommended packages.)

Kodi works perfect, just like it did before. Even in standalone mode!!
So thanks to FernetMenta and PatK for their help (and patience! ;-) ) and of course to Anonym.tsk for the tip that led to a fix!

Nicola

(PS: Is there a way to mark as solved or close the thread?)
A radeon glamor driver has a "TearFree" option that is for some reason defaulted to "off". For LibreElec creating in /storage/.config file xorg.conf as follows solves the issue. For a regular OS the file is in /etc/X11/ or, most probably, is split by sections in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, which is preferable way to go. Add the option in Device section, if no any, create it as follows.

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "AMD Graphics"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option      "DRI3"        "1"
        Option      "TearFree" "on"
Endsection

P.S. It would be nice if the LIbreElec maintainers add this option in the build...
P.P.S. The same seems to be applicable to amdgpu driver, too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tearing / flickering after upgrade (16->17) – STANDALONE ONLY!0