Best version of windows for Kodi?
I'm currently running windows 7 home edition and Kodi seems to be functioning fine on a dedicated HTPC is there a benefit to upgrade to windows 10?
Ed
HEVC and HDR video soon to name a couple alongside many others.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
If everything is running fine and no issues, and relatively happy; then don't fix which isn't broken. If your equipment is relatively new, then I've heard windows 10 offers some advantages outside of the continuing support from MS.
I'm running win 7 pro on a dedicated HTPC at the moment, mostly because it includes windows media center which I was using until late 2016.

I stuck with win 7 because win 8 was garbage and win 10 no longer includes media center.

I installed kodi on it and everything works fine, even with onboard graphics and only 2gb RAM. Kodi is now my primary media center, with win media center relegated to providing pvr back end functions.

I'm very tempted to get rid of windows and install a lightweight Linux distribution instead. I don't need windows compatible software and something like mythtv should work fine as pvr.

Long story short: win 7 is more than adequate if security updates aren't critical, but why use Windows at all?
Quote: lightweight Linux distribution instead.
This will give your hardware new life.
(2017-02-14, 04:03)Gobberwart Wrote: I'm running win 7 pro on a dedicated HTPC at the moment, mostly because it includes windows media center which I was using until late 2016.

I stuck with win 7 because win 8 was garbage and win 10 no longer includes media center.

I installed kodi on it and everything works fine, even with onboard graphics and only 2gb RAM. Kodi is now my primary media center, with win media center relegated to providing pvr back end functions.

I'm very tempted to get rid of windows and install a lightweight Linux distribution instead. I don't need windows compatible software and something like mythtv should work fine as pvr.

Long story short: win 7 is more than adequate if security updates aren't critical, but why use Windows at all?

Yes I am in a similar situation I was using Media center with a Ceton card as main source of TV and its always been quirky and kinda unstable so the windows 7 machine is pretty new I built it in 2015 with all the latest components and right now its dedicated to just running Kodi and for digital picture storage so I'm really not concerned with the security updates.
General advice: If your box is connected to the Internet, you should always be concerned about security updates! Windows 10 is supposed to be a better design in this regard than Windows 7 (which is 2009 tech after all). Microsoft still supports Windows 7 for a few years so I wouldn't worry about it yet, but don't discount it.

I think, practically speaking, the biggest advantage in Windows 10 is the fact that it boots way faster than Windows 7, which I guess is relevant for a HTPC.

(I use Win 10 with Kodi, and I'm pretty happy with it. I was also happy with Win 7. I did not really like Win 8.)
I've upgraded all of my HTPCs (ASRock ION 3D and Intel NUC) around the house over the years from Windows 7 to Windows 8 to Windows 10.

*My* key reasons for upgrading Windows versions:
* Each new OS version has booted faster, and had a smaller memory footprint, than the previous version. Benefit: I get to XBMC/Kodi faster and it runs better.
* Each new version of the OS is more secure than the previous version. Benefit: my devices and network are more secure.
* Because I store all of my content on a central server, originally running Windows Home Server 2003, then Windows Server 2008 R2, then Windows Server 2012 R2 and shortly will upgrade to Windows Server 2016, upgrading the client OS versions allows me to make use of improvements in SMB networking that I wouldn't get if I stayed on Windows 7. Benefit: faster/more efficient network transfers

I do temper the "always upgrade" mindset with the fact that if I want my HTPC to behave like an appliance, and always work reliably (and keep the wife happy), then minimal change is good. That is why the OS upgrade is the 'once in 3 years' type of BIG change I make.

Reasons for using Windows as the OS on your device for Kodi? That's almost entirely down to personal preference.
* What OS('s) are you comfortable supporting/troubleshooting? (OK, doesn't mean you shouldn't get adventurous just for fun though! Smile)
* Do you run any other apps on the HTPC and what OS are they available on?
* Driver support, especially high-end audio config and video capabilitiy, for your device might differ between OS's.
* Specifically to Windows 10 and Android - Kodi is a Store app and so you have the option of installing from the Store and then it will auto-update as the Kodi team release new versions taking away one piece of maintenance.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
@AnthonyB
True for me as well. Apart from a few UI issues Windows 8 was a massive improvement over 7 with much faster boot times (even on pretty ancient hardware). And who cares if you dont like the UI, just install classic shell or boot straight to Kodi (as I did)

I run Windows 10 as the cumulative update model is much easier to get on with, and pretty much despise Windows 7 with its zillions of updates it requires to be remotly patched up. Its showing its age for a 7+ year old OS, and is a PITA to get working on modern hardware (not to mention not supported on the latest hardware)
I have an MCE remote and IR MCE keyboard that work perfectly in Kodi under windows 7 without any massaging. Will these still work under Windows 10 ?
(2017-02-15, 11:53)jools5000 Wrote: @AnthonyB
True for me as well. Apart from a few UI issues Windows 8 was a massive improvement over 7 with much faster boot times (even on pretty ancient hardware). And who cares if you dont like the UI, just install classic shell or boot straight to Kodi (as I did)

I run Windows 10 as the cumulative update model is much easier to get on with, and pretty much despise Windows 7 with its zillions of updates it requires to be remotly patched up. Its showing its age for a 7+ year old OS, and is a PITA to get working on modern hardware (not to mention not supported on the latest hardware)
Windows 8 had faster boot time but was otherwise mostly a shambles from a UI perspective, which windows 10 (mostly) fixes. Classic shell made win 8 bearable, but if all you're doing is running kodi then why run windows at all when kodi is maintained well in ubuntu and LibreELEC exists?

That's a genuine question btw . I'm thinking about ditching win 7 in favour of one of the above. Just wondering if there's a good reason, other than driver compatibility.
@Gobberwart - totally. If it is a dedicated HTPC then who cares what is running *underneath* Kodi? Just as long as it works and delivers the driver support required. If you're not using the Windows UI, who cares whether it is awesome or shit awful right? Because you'll barely see it, or never see it if you do a shell replacement.

Thus, back to the 2nd half of my post for the reasons for choosing one OS over another:

Reasons for using Windows as the OS on your device for Kodi? That's almost entirely down to personal preference.
* What OS('s) are you comfortable supporting/troubleshooting? (OK, doesn't mean you shouldn't get adventurous just for fun though! )
* Do you run any other apps on the HTPC and what OS are they available on?
* Driver support, especially high-end audio config and video capability, for your device might differ between OS's.
* Specifically to Windows 10 and Android - Kodi is a Store app and so you have the option of installing from the Store and then it will auto-update as the Kodi team release new versions taking away one piece of maintenance.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
(2017-02-16, 09:16)Gobberwart Wrote: Windows 8 had faster boot time but was otherwise mostly a shambles from a UI perspective, which windows 10 (mostly) fixes. Classic shell made win 8 bearable, but if all you're doing is running kodi then why run windows at all when kodi is maintained well in ubuntu and LibreELEC exists?

That's a genuine question btw . I'm thinking about ditching win 7 in favour of one of the above. Just wondering if there's a good reason, other than driver compatibility.

I'm a Windows guy thats why really. I have a few Server 2012 R2 mirrored virtual servers running on ESXi hosting all the content and access it from a Windows client.

I dont have the time to learn another ecosystem and try to fix Samba/Linux/Drivers/whatever when it goes wrong, running the same Windows 10 on everthing (couple of Kodi devices, PC and laptop) keeps it simple and predictable.

Your needs or environment may vary though! In the end its what works best for you
I guess something else that's a factor is cost. A couple of hundred bucks for Windows 10 (YMMV) vs free for a Linux distro is a fair saving that could be better spent on upgraded hardware or beer.

That is unless you're going to end up spending untold hours/days getting Linux to work properly with obscure hardware.
(2017-02-16, 12:37)Gobberwart Wrote: I guess something else that's a factor is cost. A couple of hundred bucks for Windows 10 (YMMV) vs free for a Linux distro is a fair saving that could be better spent on upgraded hardware or beer.

That is unless you're going to end up spending untold hours/days getting Linux to work properly with obscure hardware.

Don't need to spend a fortune to get Windows 10. Get key from Link removed
Intel NUC Skull Canyon - Windows 10 Pro - Kodi 18
VU+ Solo2 - Canal Digital/CMore Max
Samsung UE65KS9005 Pro Calibrated

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best version of windows for Kodi?2