v17 5th gen NUC, VAAPI black screen.
Hi.

I've just upgraded all devices to Krypton at home, but when i upgraded my Intel NUC NUC5i3RYH - Core i3, i got black screen with playback.
If I disable VAAPI, there isn't a problem.

How do i fix this?
Kodi is the best HTPC software i know.
I've been using it since Dharma<3

There's a simlar question in this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306619

(2017-02-13, 20:16)n4kk Wrote:
(2017-02-11, 19:56)fritsch Wrote: Basically you had luck that Jarvis worked on it ... Btw. what do you see on screen when you play a video? Is it just completely black?

I upgraded to ver. 17.0 this weekend. Upon playing videos, the screen was completely black with sound. This happened to all of my videos. I googled around and noticed that it was an issue with hardware acceleration. I'm using an intel i5 based gigabyte brix.

So I went to the video settings and disabled the main hardware acceleration and it played fine. However, I wanted hardware acceleration for its benefits so troubleshot by playing around enabling and disabling some of the options under hardware acceleration and found that the culprit was hardware acceleration for vc-1 codecs. So I still have hardware acceleration with VAAPI for the other codecs. It's been working fine so far.

(2017-02-13, 23:10)fritsch Wrote: This is nothing new. VC-1 interlaced does not work with VAAPI and result will be a black screen.

For more information and bug fixing posting the Debug Log is mandatory also in combination with the output of vainfo.

(2017-02-14, 14:53)n4kk Wrote:
(2017-02-13, 23:10)fritsch Wrote: This is nothing new. VC-1 interlaced does not work with VAAPI and result will be a black screen.

For more information and bug fixing posting the Debug Log is mandatory also in combination with the output of vainfo.

(2017-02-14, 00:11)n4kk Wrote: fritsch,

Actually, it wasn't the vc-1 hardware acceleration. My apologies for the misinformation. It was rather disabling "Prefer VAAPI render method" that makes the black screen disappear and working fine.

Either way here's the log file. Maybe you can shed some insight. Thanks.

Output of vainfo:

error: can't connect to X server!
libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with operation failed,driver_name=i965
vaInitialize failed with error code 1 (operation failed),exit

Log file: http://pastebin.com/BqUxRLwt

fritsch,

Did you take a look at my debug log? Thanks.
I actually saw that post, but when i reached the point where fritschmentioned 6 year old hardware, I figured it was a much older NUC than the one i have.
Thanks though.

Well, I have a haswell intel i5 gigabyte brix about 3 years old and I still get black screen when I enable all the options under VAAPI hardware acceleration. The only way to NOT get a black screen is to disable "Prefer VAAPI render method". Try that and see if that works for you. Hopefully, fritsch will shed some light on the problem with the log I uploaded.
Thanks, i already did this, but like you, i would like to get VAAPI working Smile

Even with "Prefer VAAPI render method" off, I think it still does hardware acceleration. You can confirm by starting a video and bringing up the codec info screen. You can see that it doesn't impact CPU.
Guys, you just miss a current mesa and a current intel vaapi driver. That's all that is needed. mesa 11 and vaapi driver 1.5.0 or later.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So, all with vaapi issues post me:

DISPLAY=:0 vainfo | pastebinit
dpkg -l |grep mesa | pastebinit
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit
lsb_release -a | pastebinit

This needs to happen with the user currently running kodi.

There is a one command solution for 14.04 ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'm not using linux for very much else than kodi, so I don't understand what it is you want me to do fritsch?

Can i just login with putty and use those 4 commands that you listed, and then it's fixed?

Enter those commands, copy output.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23996281/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23996282/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23996285/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/23996288/

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/mesa

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi

For both afterwards:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver

sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver did nothing.

"
i965-va-driver is already the newest version.
i965-va-driver set to manually installed.
"

But the other commands worked fine, and after a reboot it works.

Do i need to remove your repo's?
I don't want any experimental Kodi versions or anything Smile

No ... nothing needs to be removed.

You are running a stone old linux distribution. The features VAAPI implements in kodi v17 halfed the memory usage and double the speed of the presentation - that won't work with 4 year old vaapi drivers ... the biggest risk with your system is not the mesa / vaapi ppa - but the old rest of the system.

Edit: Make sure reenable Prefer VAAPI Output again, this was revisited for v17 and uses this new sw path (1:1 color) and is the reason for the need for the newest drivers.
Can i just upgrade to a newer version of Linux?
When i got the NUC in 02/2015 i installed the newest available version of Kodibuntu, and haven't really done anything but running update and upgrade every once in a while.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5th gen NUC, VAAPI black screen.0