v17 5th gen NUC, VAAPI black screen.
As you said above, that you don't know how to manage a linux system I'd say: no.

Keep what you now have. There is nothing missing for your hw in terms of kodi -
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Okay, thanks alot for your help!
Kodi is the best HTPC software i know.
I've been using it since Dharma<3

The i965-va-driver failed to compile for Trusty in the ppa. Is it resolved by just upgrading mesa then?
New Mesa is needed in any case. The i965-va-driver would be of interest for anyone running vaapi on linux as version 1.7.1 fixed a long year bug with artefacts after decoding, basically it degraded the picture quality heavily - so ping your distribution to get that one updated anyways. Also in terms of postprocessing 1.3.0 does not have what kodi can use (MCDI / MAADI and so on).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
There is a 1.7 version i965-va-driver in the mpv ppa for Trusty.

ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests

I installed that and the mesa from...

ppa:wsnipex/mesa

The black screen with VAAPI appears to be solved. I agree it would be better to upgrade the whole system, unfortunately I live in Canada and unless you live in a major city internet data is hard to come by and very expensive. I just can't keep up with upgrades. Kodi 17 is quite nice though and worth the download.
Jep - that's right! Thanks for the heads up.
(2017-02-14, 20:34)fritsch Wrote: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/mesa

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi

For both afterwards:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver

sudo reboot

Thank you. This fixed my issue on upgrading to 17.3 and SD content stuttering.
WAF back to 97%. LOL
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5th gen NUC, VAAPI black screen.0