HEVC RPi3 vs Atom D2550
Hi. I have one question. Today I was watching one HEVC video 720p and it has played very well on RPi3 and also RPi2, but was jerky on Atom D2550 with Nvidia gt 610. I know that neater pi nor nvidia has support for HEVC so both are using CPU to decode video.
I assume that CPU Atom D2550 is more powerful than the one in Rpi. If yes, why can not atom decode the hevc as good as pi? Is it possible to add same optimization also to intel cpu as for pi since in both cases raw cpu power is used.

TNX
(2017-02-14, 21:26)illiac4 Wrote: Hi. I have one question. Today I was watching one HEVC video 720p and it has played very well on RPi3 and also RPi2, but was jerky on Atom D2550 with Nvidia gt 610. I know that neater pi nor nvidia has support for HEVC so both are using CPU to decode video.
I assume that CPU Atom D2550 is more powerful than the one in Rpi. If yes, why can not atom decode the hevc as good as pi? Is it possible to add same optimization also to intel cpu as for pi since in both cases raw cpu power is used.

Raspberry Pi has spent a lot of effort optimising HEVC decode using NEON, VPU and QPU acceleration (*).
While the atom is a theoretically more powerful processor I suspect it hasn't had the same attention.
I think in the PC world if you want the software to run faster you buy newer hardware...

(*) Some of this work has been merged into ffmpeg so will be benefiting your atom too, but the VPU/QPU stuff is Pi specific.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC RPi3 vs Atom D25500