What hardware should I get for x264 decoding 1080p@60fps
As the subject says I'm looking into getting a few devices to replace my aging OUYA devices that now run KODI 16.1.4. Unfortunately, it is just not able to decode and push out 1080p@60fps and some of the videos I have are just that. I have been looking online, including the "Pick the Right Kodi Box" thread and I am trying to find the right choice. Perhaps if I list what it is I'm looking for, I could get a good recommendation.

I am looking for a dead simple startup, directly into KODI, able play videos that are 1080p@60fps and downmix the various HD audio formats into stereo as I don't have a sound system to which it would passthrough. I'm not too worried about x265/HEVC at this time as it is fairly rare in my ventures and I don't mind upgrading to the RPi4—or whatever the next device is—in a few years to support x265 when it is a bit more ubiquitous.

I have been looking at the RPi3 and the ODROID-C2 and they seem to be the way to go, but there are also conflicting accounts by various people online and in this forum as to how well they work. I have seen people say that the RPi3 can be a bit jumpy, dropping frames, with 1080p@60fps, so I am leaning more towards the ODROID-C2. Conversely, I have seen people say that ODROID-C2 does not support LibreELEC all that well.

Which of these should I get, or is there another option I am missing that would satisfy my needs? Thanks in advance for clearing this up as the internet seems to be about as clear a mud for me at this point.
If you can provide a sample of a worst case scenario file I and I'm sure others would be willing to test out various hardware.

I don't own a C2 but from what I read it is a great LE device. However there are far less people developing for it than the RPI so future support may be slightly less assured.
Well the thing is I'm not sure what the worst case would be for those devices. I currently have two OUYA (android based) devices and they drop frames like crazy on files that are 1080p@60fps and even 720p@60fps. However, this would not be a fair comparison as I would imagine the hardware on the OUYA pales in comparison to either of these devices.

Just to be clear, I am not sold on the fact that it has to be these two devices. I do not mind rolling my sleeves up to hack at things as I do it all day anyways. However, the biggest deal is it has to play x264 1080p@60fps, while downmixing various audio to plain old stereo, and be capable of booting right into KODI. My wife and kids are very familiar with KODI and I'd rather not have to show them how to "get to" KODI on a new device.
Chromebox running LibreELEC possible

Sent from my HTC 10
My GBP £4 Pi Zero happily plays 1080p50 35Mbs (peaks are much higher than 35Mbs) self-mastered H264 stuff from a locally connected USB drive with zero problems in LibreElec. (Pardon the pun) I don't see dropped frames other than the usual as you skip around the file.

My Pi 3 and ODroid C2 also play that stuff with no problems (and have snappier UIs)

I can't confirm 1080p59.94 or 1080p60 - but will happily test a clip for you.

As for support - no doubt the Pi has the best support, but the C2 isn't that bad - a couple of very committed people crank out builds (though if they get bored or move to another platform things could change)
(2017-02-15, 02:24)fmedrano1977 Wrote: Chromebox running LibreELEC possible

Sent from my HTC 10 (typie typie)

Cheers for the recommendation, I did read up on that one, but the cost of the device is twice that of the RPi3 (with accessories) and about 25%-50% more than the ODROID. Is there some quality of that device that would justify the increase in price, noting that I'm not terribly concerned about hevc/4k support?

(2017-02-15, 02:29)noggin Wrote: My GBP £4 Pi Zero happily plays 1080p50 35Mbs (peaks are much higher than 35Mbs) self-mastered H264 stuff from a locally connected USB drive with zero problems in LibreElec. (Pardon the pun) I don't see dropped frames other than the usual as you skip around the file.

My Pi 3 and ODroid C2 also play that stuff with no problems (and have snappier UIs)

I can't confirm 1080p59.94 or 1080p60 - but will happily test a clip for you.

As for support - no doubt the Pi has the best support, but the C2 isn't that bad - a couple of very committed people crank out builds (though if they get bored or move to another platform things could change)

If you're up for it, test out the 1080p@50fps, 59.940fps, and 60fps found here

Yea, I remember reading that about the ODROID-C2 firmware. It is extremely likely that I will go with LibreELEC on the devices and I think they are officially supporting it right?
(2017-02-15, 02:35)elmcguinness Wrote:
(2017-02-15, 02:24)fmedrano1977 Wrote: Chromebox running LibreELEC possible

Sent from my HTC 10 (typie typie)

Cheers for the recommendation, I did read up on that one, but the cost of the device is twice that of the RPi3 (with accessories) and about 25%-50% more than the ODROID. Is there some quality of that device that would justify the increase in price, noting that I'm not terribly concerned about hevc/4k support?

The Chromebox actually doesn't have H265/HEVC hardware decode (unlike the ODroid C2) and only has HDMI 1.4b (so 2160/30p and below for 4K) unlike the HDMI 2.0-equipped ODroid.

HOWEVER - the Chromebox is a proper Core-i-based Dual Core x86 Celeron (it's not an Atom-based Celeron either). That's in a different league in CPU terms to a Pi 3 or a C2. Not a huge issue for core video replay, but the Chromebox has far more CPU grunt for background tasks and UI navigation.

The Pi 3 and ODroid both have CEC (i.e. HDMI remote control and AVR control etc.) and the C2 has integrated IR reception too. The ODroid is by far the most futureproof in video codec terms (HDMI 2.0, HEVC 2160/60p 10 bit decode etc.) The Chromebox is the fastest box in CPU terms and has VERY good support. The Pi is the least powereful, but the cheapest and has excellent support. (It's also the only one that does proper 3D - but that may not be relevant)

All three will do stereo downmix from DD/DTS/True HD/DTS HD MA/HRA
(2017-02-15, 02:29)noggin Wrote: As for support - no doubt the Pi has the best support, but the C2 isn't that bad - a couple of very committed people crank out builds (though if they get bored or move to another platform things could change)
I don't think the C2 is going to get dropped anytime soon even if developers move around to other projects, because its an Official LibreELEC reference board for AMLogic S905 LibreELEC development.

There are more than just a "couple" of interested developers with C2's as well, now feeding into the project.

The WeTek - Hub / Play2 and ODROID C2 now share a common Linux Kernel and the exact same set of Kodi patches. It has become pretty easy to support all 3 platforms with this commonality, just like the RPi series of hardware.

@noggin, Does LibreELEC Kodi on the Chromebox still have issues with VC-1 playback ?

Oh on a side note, I know the RPi3 can do MPEG2 HW decoding, but it comes with a license fee, is this the same for the ODROID C2? how about VC-1?
No Licence fees for mpeg2 or vc-1 HW decoding on any AMLogic hardware for end users. Maybe AMLogic already pays for them. I'm not sure.

AML VC-1 and Interlaced mpeg2 (& some mpeg4) decoding used to be pretty terrible for H/W decoding up until the recent LE Kodi Krypton fixes by the AML Kodi develper peak3d.
Now its all quite nice and noticeably quicker when streaming starts. Smile
AML S905 used to use Software decoding/deinterlacing workarounds up until recent LE Krypton.

(2017-02-15, 02:45)wrxtasy Wrote: @noggin, Does LibreELEC Kodi on the Chromebox still have issues with VC-1 playback ?

Yep - in common with all Intel boxes running Linux, if you want interlaced VC-1 playback (progressive is fine) to be hardware accelerated, you need to install Windows (which is possible on the Chromebox - though non-trivial) VC-1 interlaced common isn't widespread - but it does exist. European TV shows released as 50i, and music concerts shot 59.94i or 50i mainly.
Only reason I asked was I stated the Linux/LE Intel boxes were pretty much bulletproof. So its only the uncommon (for most) Interlaced VC-1 that is the issue.
As you said Progressive is fine.
I don't think I've ever playback tested VC-1 Interlaced to tell you the truth.

Thx.

(2017-02-15, 12:01)wrxtasy Wrote: Only reason I asked was I stated the Linux/LE Intel boxes were pretty much bulletproof. So its only the uncommon (for most) Interlaced VC-1 that is the issue.
As you said Progressive is fine.
I don't think I've ever playback tested VC-1 Interlaced to tell you the truth.

Thx.

There are a couple of BBC Blu-rays that are 50i (or 59.94i) VC-1 (ironically they contain 25p content - but 25p isn't a supported Blu-ray format) and some 59.94i concert releases.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What hardware should I get for x264 decoding 1080p@60fps0