Req Suggestion... better handling of PVR program times without EPG
Hi guys

For me, 90% of the time I spend with Kodi is watching Live TV (through tvheadend). I think in the past few major updates, the PVR functionality in Kodi has been improved quite a lot and is really working well.

I have one small issue.

Some channels don't provide EPG data, so Kodi has no idea how long the current video (i.e. programme) will take. The video duration therefore is shown to be the same as the time spent watching, plus 1 second. The remaining time is therefore always either 0 or 1 second.

In the GUI these durations are flashing about twice a second, either to 0 or 1. In my HTPC case I have a VFD/LCD screen (lcdproc) which also shows these flashing changing, nonsensical numbers of 0 and 1 seconds. I think this makes the interface look a bit hacky, non-professional.

It's been suggested to me that this is not a matter of the tvheadend add-on or the backend, but a general Kodi function (or non-function).

My feature suggestion is this:
If there is no EPG data, i.e. no set time for the video duration, don't let these values show up in the skins or in the LCD screens.

Would this be possible to implement?

Here is a screenshot that maybe makes my issue a bit more clear:
(The left time is the duration, the right time is the remaining time.)

I had made a thread in the tvheadend forum, but I think this may be a better place.
(http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307247)
Do you seriously watch tv with the osd on?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-17, 20:31)nickr Wrote: Do you seriously watch tv with the osd on?

I think the OPs comment is more linked to having an LCD/VFD which will constantly be on. I guess it shows the same info as the OSD wrt to EPG duration/time.
Exactly, the issue is mainly with the LCD/VFD screen. However, also when you have the OSD on for some reason, it's still a bit silly to have the numbers like that IMO.

I made a little video to show what it looks like on the LCD:
(The first part is from a channel that includes EPG data, so you see how long it takes for the programme to end, then I zapped to one that does not include EPG data - which is where the numbers get useless.)

https://vid.me/QS9Y

I can't be the only one that uses PVR and has an LCD screen on the HTPC right? Blush

Obviously I'm aware this is not a major problem. But I feel Kodi is so good, that most major problems have already been solved. So therefore I suggest this little user improvement!
Yes I see that would be annoying.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-18, 17:27)willemd Wrote: Exactly, the issue is mainly with the LCD/VFD screen. However, also when you have the OSD on for some reason, it's still a bit silly to have the numbers like that IMO.

I made a little video to show what it looks like on the LCD:
(The first part is from a channel that includes EPG data, so you see how long it takes for the programme to end, then I zapped to one that does not include EPG data - which is where the numbers get useless.)

https://vid.me/QS9Y

I can't be the only one that uses PVR and has an LCD screen on the HTPC right? Blush

Obviously I'm aware this is not a major problem. But I feel Kodi is so good, that most major problems have already been solved. So therefore I suggest this little user improvement!

@willemd may I ask you what htpc case you are using. It looks pretty cool in the video.
Yes, it's a Moneual Moncaso 320. Picture

I'm really happy with the way it looks, it looks like a premium DVD player, like it actually belongs in an AV rack. For some reason, so many dedicated HTPC cases still look like pimped office machines, which I would never put in the living room.

Unfortunately, they are no longer in production. Confused
Nice case, and I might have bought one once. However the kodi machines I use these days are so small no one sees them anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggestion... better handling of PVR program times without EPG0