Kodi 17 flickering and blurring issues on the whole UIF
Hello,

1st, Hardware 8 yerars old HTPC AMD 4850 with AMD HD3000 onboard graphics. This HTPC was running Kodi since V11 (Eden) till now Kodi 16.2 (Jarvis).
Software: Ubuntu 14.04 Server with Kodi Standalone. The graphic drivers for HD3000 are no longer supported by AMD since 2013 or 2014 I'm running the machine with kernel drivers.

I tried 2 different displays and 3 different display cables with no change.

I've tired a clear .kodi folder inside my users home directory by renaming the old user folder.

I managed it to find out in windowed mode the issue did not appear, but in windowed mode the screen size is only 1/4 of the availible size. And I have not installed a window manager on this system.

A lot of other settings like resolution, refresh rate, dithering, color space did not influence the issue.

Thanks for tips and suggestions.

Errorlog with a clean kodi cache folder:
Code:
do not spam the forum with logs, use pastebin
Kodi Helix 14.2 on Ubuntu Server 14.04. with PVR-VDR Client Version 2.2.0.
Proc: AMD 4850e / Mobo: GA-MA790-DS4H Onboard Grafik AMD HD3300/ 4GB Ram / 64GB SSD for system and PVR Client Recordings / Raid 5 (4x 750GB HDD).
sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-xenial
sudo reboot

and post another Debug Log

Every hardware is wastebin ready at one time ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello,

thank you for the tip, I installed the suggested kernel module.

Kodi is still flickering and blurred.

Something must have been changed in kodi gui management, because if I'm going back to a backup (kodi 15.x), it's running fine again.

Here's the log with the new kernel installed:

Code:
Proc: AMD 4850e / Mobo: GA-MA790-DS4H Onboard Grafik AMD HD3300/ 4GB Ram / 64GB SSD for system and PVR Client Recordings / Raid 5 (4x 750GB HDD).
Yes - there was. That had a side effect on 10 year old gpus ... as it seems.

Try to install a 4.8 kernel from ubuntu mainline please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello,

installed one of the most recent kernels from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline (kernel 4.9)

result: Kodi still flickering

Seems like I should now start my future project: 4k UHD HTPC

log:

Code:
Btw. it directly flickers in the menus, right? Not only in the videos?

And same with LibreELEC from usb stick?
Might I suggest before throwing the whole thing out you try playing with the dirty region settings ?
Details here: http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.x...rtyregions

I read elsewhere that someone had weird results after upgrading similar to yours and playing with these settings helped.
He uses the default settings which are safe on every system. If he had used mehtod 2 I'd have told him ... not sure what is wrong on his system.

Curious on the libreelec test.
Hello,

I've managed to go back to Kodi 16.2, using team-kodi/kodi-old ppa instead of team-kodi/kodi.

If the test with a libre elec live usb stick is interesting for you, then I'll test this.

I can test also the settings on advanced settings.

Maybe I'll do some tests while my next vacation.

I prefer to stay with kodi 16.2, and move the 4k htpc project to end of this year or maybe beginning of next year depending on the upcoming hardware and their 4k HSDR 10 Bit support ability.

Best regards

Kitsab
Please stop spamming the forum with logs, and read the forum rules.
Use pastebin next time.
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem since the upgrade today, except the hardware config is a little bit different :

CPU : AMD turion X2

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]

I've installed the last beta of Libreelec on a USB key, and it works just fine, and also with my .kodi profile from the normal install

don't have more time now, but i'll try to get back later

P.S. : maybe one clue, I don't have the display frequency shown on the normal install, but it is shown on the libreelec install
Yeah - driver issue. The software stack you are running is too old.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 flickering and blurring issues on the whole UIF0