Frustrated as hell - SMB issue?
Sad 
OK so i have an issue with only 1 of my android boxes
here is my setup
windows 7 kodi installed with mysql as the parent install

i have kodi installs on my phone and 2 android tv boxes. they all have identical advancedsettings.xml files to get to the MYSQL DB and pull data.
i can get to tv and movies fine on both my phone and 1 android tv box
the other one i get the following when i try to watch anything.

remove episode from library message
and playing with add source to check SMB and i click my network i immediately get error timed out.
YET just as a test if i add SMB as a network location from the file browser it shows up through there.

Im so damn confused here.

both android tv boxes are identical.
ANY help would be appreciated!
This has been posted in multiple threads (example: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=302806). There appears to be an issue with Kodi 17 and SMB (on fresh installs only).

The fix is to use the IP address for your server, instead of browsing SMB (which will give you the timed out error).
(2017-02-17, 23:39)Powerhouse Wrote: This has been posted in multiple threads (example: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=302806). There appears to be an issue with Kodi 17 and SMB (on fresh installs only).

The fix is to use the IP address for your server, instead of browsing SMB (which will give you the timed out error).

That is weird because all of the devices are running 17 and the android box that is working was reset recently then reinstalled and it still worked.
That would not be fun to change all of the SMB links in my MYSQL DB from SMB to AN IP.

so basically we are waiting for an update then and its been submitted as a bug?
again what throws me off is it works on all but 1.
Ok yeah i just read this from a post you did. (oh, and works if you upgrade Kodi 16.1 to Kodi 17) so
I uninstalled 17
installed 16 and opened it
exited out of kodi and Put in the advancedsettings.xml
opened 16 and tested it
then upgraded and it works great now Smile

THANKS!
(2017-02-17, 23:45)rayge Wrote:
(2017-02-17, 23:39)Powerhouse Wrote: This has been posted in multiple threads (example: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=302806). There appears to be an issue with Kodi 17 and SMB (on fresh installs only).

That is weird because all of the devices are running 17 and the android box that is working was reset recently then reinstalled and it still worked.
That would not be fun to change all of the SMB links in my MYSQL DB from SMB to AN IP.

so basically we are waiting for an update then and its been submitted as a bug?
again what throws me off is it works on all but 1.

It was reported HERE

I was having the smb timeout issue on 2 android devices and I found that opening the settings on my ROUTER and changing a firewall setting in the router to allow NETBIOS fixed the issue. So you can at least check that out it might fix it for you too.
Well I'm now done with Kodi and Android...this morning smb fails again even with the router changes I have made. My Samsung is failing to connect yet again. I HAVE to use SMB for a particular shortcut I use to access my Classic Movies collection. Android can't do it with Kodi and smb so I'm done. I can watch what I want using Dice Player on my tablets. My wife sure ain't gonna like this.... Sad I just can't fight with it any longer and I guess I'm just not smart enough to make it work like I want.

I'm not flaming or bashing Android or Kodi...I love it! Like BOTH. Just sayin' I'm done fighting with it all.
Try just one more thing! I don't understand why the experts don't recommend this, since it's in Kodi's own Wiki!

http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows Scroll down to "Fixes" especially 4.1 Timeouts

It worked perfectly for me, never a glitch since. (Accessing Win 7 file server with SMB and MySQL from an Nvidia Shield) And it's worked for every one of several people I've pointed it out to.
Too late...uninstalled from all 3 tablets..

But thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT:

Ok I decided to tinker, since I now have nothing to lose and I uninstalled Kodi. I have smb working again....for now but this MIGHT be the entire whole problem!

I installed 17.1RC1 FRESH.
I tried to add files via smb - of course it failed.
But a folder got created inside the .kodi folder ".smb"
I copied this folder to the "files" folder so now I have .kodi and .smb inside the files folder
Started Kodi and went directly to the Movies>Enter Files of the default skin
Selected Files
Selected Add Videos
Selected Browse
Selected Windows network (SMB)
Selected Workgroup
Viola! ALL the shares are there! Magic! Joy! Jumping all over the house like Jerry Lewis, my wife called the police and they put me in a straight jacket!

Remember I still have settings in my Router for NETBIOS in an on status! If this doesn't work for you you might have to add that as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frustrated as hell - SMB issue?0