Video Library Codec Questions
Question 
Looking for advice on how to do a couple things.

Is there a way to determine all the codecs used in my movies that I have ripped down?
A script to run through everything or a way to extract from the database?

I have a back end, Ubuntu server, that runs MySQL. I am using a RPi B+ as a front end. Troubleshooting network issues, but looking to find the best codec to use. Reading the forums, it appears Rpi cannot handle H.265.

Most of my movies have been ripped using Handbrake. Used Mpeg-4 as main codec, but looking at trying H264. Transcoded a few movies as H264 and H265, but looking at Kodi library, nothing shows up as H264, only AVC.

Looking in the streamdetails DB table, I cannot find any H264 or H265 or HVEC entries, but do see a couple movies as H265/HVEC so not sure where those details come from.

So looking to track down all my H265 encoded movies to know which I have to redo, and also ensure I am using the best to stream on my network.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
AVC is H264
And, I believe, MPEG-4 in Handbrake is MPEG-4 part 2, also known as MPEG-2.

Broadly...

MPEG-4 pt 2/MPEG 2 == DVD encoding, used for HD TV in some parts of the world. Least CPU-intensive.
H.265/AVC == BluRay encoding, used for HDTV in most parts of the world. Needs hardware support, or a fast CPU.
H.265/HEVC == used for 4k/UHD TV. Needs hardware support, or a very fast CPU.

... although there's always someone who'll encode a 4k stream in MPEG-2 because... well, because you can, even if it's not exactly ideal.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Library Codec Questions0