v17 Playback Constantly Stops
Exclamation 
First, some background info...

We have 6 devices in the house that use Kodi on a shared MySQL library. Before upgrading to Krypton last week all devices were running 16.1.

2X - Raspberry Pi 3 running OSMC (running Kodi 16.1)
2X - Windows 10 machines with all the latest Windows Updates as of today (Feb 18/17) running Kodi 16.1
iPad (non-jailbroken) running Kodi 16.1 installed through Xcode using a paid Apple Developer account.
MacOS (Sierra) running Kodi 16.1

All devices had the same advancedsettings.xml file within their respective userdata folder primarily to share watched status. You can view this advancedsettings.xml file here.

Last week, OSMC pushed out their production release of Krypton so I decided it was time to update all devices.

Raspberry Pis
- Just used the built in automatic update within OSMC.
iPad
- Updated the iOS installation through Xcode using http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/darwin/i...os-arm.deb.
MacOS
- Installed the latest version listed on Downloads page (http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/osx/x86_...x86_64.dmg).
Windows 10
- Uninstalled Kodi 16.1 through Add/Remove Programs then installed Kodi 17 though Windows Store. The version installed is Kodi 17.0 Git:20170201-a10c504.

Note - I did not change anything in the advancedsettings.xml file.

What is working...

As you can see from the Advanced Settings (linked above), all the videos are stored on a network share (NAS hard-wired to the network). This is the setup I've run for many years and haven't really had any issues so I have never changed the configuration. Whenever upgrading to a new major version of Kodi/XBMC I've always upgraded all devices at the same time.

We have a very basic library. We only use Kodi for video playback. We exclude all files and folders from scans so no videos are categorized as Movies/TV. For all the videos, we have our own nfo and graphics files which are generated from other programs and services outside of Kodi. The only reason we care to use a shared library is to track watched status (and watched position for partially watched videos). After upgrading all devices to Krypton, watched status/position is working exactly as expected without any issues.

The Problem...

We are now having an issue with video playback randomly stopping on all devices except the Raspberry Pis (OSMC). We use the Raspberry Pis for the majority of video watching and we've never had an issue with a video stopping playback. But once in a while, we use the other devices and each of the other devices consistently stops playback several times throughout the viewing of any video.

One of the Windows 10 devices seems to have the least amount of problems. We rarely have an issue with playback randomly stopping on this machine, though it has happened a couple times that I can remember. This machine is a laptop and is always connected through wifi.

The Mac seems to be the next in line for reliability during video playback, though it seems to consistently stop at least once per video. The Mac is hard-wired into the network.

The iPad is a bit more problematic and seems to stop playback at least 2-5 times per 45 minute TV show.

The most problematic is the other Windows 10 device. It seems to not be able to get through more than a minute without spontaneously stopping the video and returning to the menu. At that point, it can't even see the NAS any more and the only way to connect again is to restart Kodi. This current state basically renders Kodi unusable. This device is hard-wired into the network.

I am not the one that uses the other problematic devices. Other family members are annoyed, but not enough to help me investigate by telling me when it occurs so we can grab logs. Luckily, I'm the user of the most problematic Windows 10 machine so I was able to reproduce and grab the log immediately after playback stops. Here is the log... http://pastebin.com/N1GSBeqe. I'm guessing the most relevant part of the log is when the issue occurred at the very end (timestamped with 16:38:33).

For now, this is the only log I have. Though we have no way of knowing for sure that the issue is the same across all devices, hopefully resolving this problem with this Windows 10 machine will resolve it for the other devices.

Update...

After playing around with this a bit more and before my initial post of this thread, I was able to consistently reproduce this. This time, the video stops within 10-15 seconds but I'm able to start playback again immediately with the same result 10-15 seconds later. Here is a more precise dump of the log from 2 attempts to play a video (http://pastebin.com/t0X0c3kQ). I can confirm that the laptop (running Windows 10 and connected to the network through wifi) can get through this episode without any playback issues.

Dump from MediaInfo

Kodi Version - Kodi 17.0 Git:20170201-a10c504
Windows Version - 10.0.14393
CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz
RAM
Installed Physical Memory - 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory - 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory - 6.42 GB
Total Virtual Memory - 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory - 11.4 GB
Page File Space - 4.75 GB

Thanks for the help!
Am I missing something required for responses? I'm at a loss and need some help. Logs are posted, technical deals of my computer, details from MediaInfo. Is there more I can provide?
HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache#Kodi_v17_changes (wiki)

Silly question, but did you update your advancedsettings file to make it Krypton compatible?
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
(2017-02-20, 01:18)zerocool_ie Wrote: HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache#Kodi_v17_changes (wiki)

Silly question, but did you update your advancedsettings file to make it Krypton compatible?

Thanks for the reply. I did forget to mention that during my investigation I stripped down the advancedsettings file to this (http://pastebin.com/ifm2qyd1). It didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

Are there any other incompatibilities aside from the caching?
Just in case, you are aware that app store Kodi for windows 10 keep it's userdata in a new spot.

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_17.0.0.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi
C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_17.0.0.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\usedata

Where {user} is your currently logged in username.
(2017-02-20, 03:58)PatK Wrote: Just in case, you are aware that app store Kodi for windows 10 keep it's userdata in a new spot.

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_17.0.0.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi
C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_17.0.0.0_x86__4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\usedata

Yes. I'm using an advancedsettings.xml file in the appropriate directory which sets the shared MySQL database and the shared sources. As far as I can tell, everything is working correctly with my advancedsettings configuration. The problem is that playback stops.

Has anyone had a chance to look through the logs that I posted in my first message?
(2017-02-20, 04:12)blangsozo Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 03:58)PatK Wrote: Just in case, you are aware that app store Kodi for windows 10 keep it's userdata in a new spot.

Yes. I'm using an advancedsettings.xml file in the appropriate directory which sets the shared MySQL database and the shared sources. As far as I can tell, everything is working correctly with my advancedsettings configuration. The problem is that playback stops.

Has anyone had a chance to look through the logs that I posted in my first message?

You are not comparing like with like regards the advancedsettings.xml, your new advancedsettings has no buffer caching, may be better if you add this feature back in.
(2017-02-20, 08:13)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-02-20, 04:12)blangsozo Wrote:

You are not comparing like with like regards the advancedsettings.xml, your new advancedsettings has no buffer caching, may be better if you add this feature back in.

First off, I really appreciate the replies. Hopefully we can eventually get to the bottom of this.

Let me clarify how I got to this point. We've been experiencing these playback stoppage issues with the previous version of the advancedsettings file (http://pastebin.com/q5BEBfPN). The stoppage is happening on all devices except the Raspberry Pis. I don't have immediate access to the logs on the other devices and this device (Windows 10 machine) experiences the worst symptoms. So, for now, we can ignore that there's other devices experiencing stoppages and just focus on the one.

During my investigation with this Windows 10 machine, I played around quite a bit with the advancedsettings file in hopes of figuring out the issue. In every scenario, I would:
- Delete the userdata folder
- Make an adjustment to the advancedsettings file
- Start up Kodi to which re-created a fresh userdata folder
- Closed Kodi
- Added the new advancedsettings file.
- Cleared the log
- Started up Kodi
- Attempted to play the video (details in the first post)

After 10-30 seconds, the video would stop playing and return me to the menu for the show. I repeated these steps until I got to the stripped down version of advancedsettings (http://pastebin.com/ifm2qyd1).

I just attempted all these steps again and added caching settings back into advancedsettings (http://pastebin.com/w5w3zPk4). Nothing changes. I can play the video from my NAS and it stops within a minute. Here is the log with my most recent test. The lines near the bottom with timestamp of 10:06:34 is when the issue occurred (video stopped playing).

I'll ask the question again cause no one has answered yet... has anyone taken a peek at the logs to see if there's anything in there that may explain what's going on?
I'm not the person to debug this but the problem is:
Code:
10:06:25.937 T:20884   ERROR: ffmpeg[5194]: [matroska,webm] Read error
10:06:33.522 T:21420   DEBUG: CVideoPlayerAudio - CDVDMsg::GENERAL_EOF
10:06:33.851 T:20884    INFO: CVideoPlayer::Process - eof reading from demuxer
Basically ffmpeg tried to read data and got an error returned.
No idea why. It could be a problem on server, with network or in libsmb, or the kodi file abstraction layers.
As you are using SMB then enabling "Verbose logging for the SMB library" in component specific logging may provide more information.
I have the same problem when playing files over smb. If I play exactly the same files from hdd, no problem. Can you test to play from hdd?
//StarChild

EDIT: Only Windows Store version that is. Normal version working great with SMB.
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC
FIXED

I tried all suggestions in this thread with no change to the symptoms. I spent well over a week investigating this and screwing around with various settings yet the problem remained. I eventually decided to uninstall the Windows Store installation and reinstall manually using the exe from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/win32/ (kodi-17.0-Krypton.exe). I then applied the latest advancedsettings file and I am no longer having any playback issues whatsoever.

Not sure if there's some sort of issue with the Windows Store version or if I somehow had a bad installation. I don't know. My problem seems to be solved now.
Thanks for getting back to the forum and leaving use the solve, or at least a fix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback Constantly Stops0