Ideal setup to watch placeshifted live tv on Kodi?
I am tired of wrestling with Slingbox - is there just a "go to" setup to allow me to access my cable box from a hotel TV?

Edit: I should be clearer. The main use would be to access my home's cable box(es) from my lake house and hotel tvs. I have thought about a kodi box at the lake house accessing my SlingBox, but I am tired of the Slingbox and its issues.
My pick is hdhomerun. The cable card works on windows 10 now

https://www.silicondust.com/
yes, that doesn't stream over the internet - just throughout the house. useless in my example.
Tvheadend in kodi or wms pvr can access the streams and you can play them anywhere in the world. As I said hdhomerun is great for kodi
Ok, so in your example there would be a kodi box running TVHeadend in the remote location that is accessing the hdhomerun stream from my home?

edit: after reading about hdhomerun connect, it looks like it requires a cable card, something i do not have. i have the TWC cable boxes but it looks like it won't work with them.
You would build your own cable box. Windows 10 is needed for copy once drm channels i.e. ESPN.

Your travel kodi box would access your home IP address to watch the channels on wmc server. You can also set up your home movies, tv shows, recordings, video camera, etc this way.

You would need a cable card but you can return the cable boxes. Put a kodi box where the cable box was.

For drm channels you will need wmc pvr http://kodi.wiki/view/ServerWMC. Tvheadend will uses muxes. I like tvheadend better but it will take more setup time.

I used sling box and learned to hate them. Bad customer service. I would also look into no-ip so your address is static.

It is a lot of stuff but a great investment. You get control.

You can add more hdhomeruns so you can record more channels. I think the cable card one has three tuners.

There are not many options when it comes to copy once drm.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ideal setup to watch placeshifted live tv on Kodi?0