v17 problem with wifi and kodi
hello
my kodi is installed on my laptop
and every time i run kodi after few minutes is loses its wifi connection
and i get a message that there is limited connectivity
can someone help me with these problem
the wifi connection works fine when kodi not working
thanks Nod
Kodi is software, and this forum is for users having issues with Kodi, not necessarily for their connections, hardware or networks. With that said, I'll point out a few things that might help. WiFi is not the best type of connection to your computer, if you can get a solid ethernet connection, that would be best. Moving objercts out of the path between your laptop and wireless connection would be best. Think about WiFi as light and the router or source of the WiFi as a flashlight (for an analogy) that goes through hollow walls easily but not through a lot of dense material. Bring your laptop closer to the source, just like the flashlight, the further you get from the source the less light you'll get.

Quote:the wifi connection works fine when Kodi not working

I doubt you really had a good solid connection, and when Kodi starts to saturate the bandwidth (movies) the low signal becomes more apparent.

Suggestion: A buddy couldn't use his laptop much with the built in wifi system, he bought one of those cheap wifi adapters with an antenna that plug into a USB port and hasn't had a problem since ($15).
"Hello, as far as I know the problems connected with wi-fi, I can tell you that lost connection can be caused by a variety of different reasons. When I have reset my new router I started to get problems with it till my friend came over and advised me to read some information about it first. To make it easier for you just get here 192.168.l.l login and read given information to find out what is really going on. You are welcomeSmile"
I actually witnessed that today. My MacMini is connected to the modem over wifi and it works fine with netflix all the time, or youtube or other sort of video streaming but today the wifi kept dropping. I upgraded Kodi to the latest version and it still happened. Definitely kodi does something that my modem does not like to be done over wifi connection. Modem is Netgear CG3000-2STAUS for cable connection.
Kodi is software, it utilizes the hardware and drivers supplied by the o/s and the manufacturer for network activities, it does tend to saturate the connection when high res media is transfering. The link GreatKicker provided should be useful.
Actually I am experiencing this also with a Raspberry pi 3 and a VUzero.
Kodi is wifi, vuzero is cable.
If I plug any of there in my lan my internet connection starts being very laggy.
I have a vodafone cable router on 192.168.0.1 and a synology router on 10.10.0.1 that connects to the Vodafone one and actually server the WIFI, LAN, DNS and DHCP.

Raspberry I connect via wifi to the synoogy and VUzero via cable to the Vodafone.

This is the only pattern that I saw so far - if I add a linux media playback capable device my connection to outside get bad and LAN devices cannot ping each other.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of LAN traffic that these devices do which could mess up routing for my specific setup or in general?
(2020-11-24, 13:07)ccimpoi Wrote: Actually I am experiencing this also with a Raspberry pi 3 and a VUzero.
Kodi is wifi, vuzero is cable.
If I plug any of there in my lan my internet connection starts being very laggy.
I have a vodafone cable router on 192.168.0.1 and a synology router on 10.10.0.1 that connects to the Vodafone one and actually server the WIFI, LAN, DNS and DHCP.

Raspberry I connect via wifi to the synoogy and VUzero via cable to the Vodafone.

This is the only pattern that I saw so far - if I add a linux media playback capable device my connection to outside get bad and LAN devices cannot ping each other.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of LAN traffic that these devices do which could mess up routing for my specific setup or in general?
I swear I just unplugged the RPI Kodi is running on, restarted the synology wifi/lan router and internet is smooth and my phone sees my laptop again.
What the?!
(2020-11-24, 13:17)ccimpoi Wrote: What the?!

Those are questions to which we do not have the answers.

Also, It's better to (next time) just create your own new thread instead of posting in someone else's years old thread.
To both people

As a network engineer the software that is kodi will not kill your network, now your network could be configured wrong, your pi could have something wrong with it, Netflix will only provide the bandwidth you can handle and will drop you from 4K to 1080p to 720p if it has to kodi will not, and in general Wi-Fi is crap in mass produced consumer routers, my suggestion run a cable if that’s a no get some Ethernet powerline adaptors, or buy a Wi-Fi access point/repeater but I reserve Wi-Fi for phones and internet browsing on laptop only

Also if your vodafone router has a modem mode use that, if not turn everything possible of off it, you don’t want two dhcp services running and two dns etc, your network sounds harder to manage than it should be, make sure all devices go to one router

This is also a quick post whilst smoking in my shed Smile
(2020-11-24, 19:57)orby Wrote: To both people

As a network engineer the software that is kodi will not kill your network, now your network could be configured wrong, your pi could have something wrong with it, Netflix will only provide the bandwidth you can handle and will drop you from 4K to 1080p to 720p if it has to kodi will not, and in general Wi-Fi is crap in mass produced consumer routers, my suggestion run a cable if that’s a no get some Ethernet powerline adaptors, or buy a Wi-Fi access point/repeater but I reserve Wi-Fi for phones and internet browsing on laptop only

Also if your vodafone router has a modem mode use that, if not turn everything possible of off it, you don’t want two dhcp services running and two dns etc, your network sounds harder to manage than it should be, make sure all devices go to one router

This is also a quick post whilst smoking in my shed Smile
Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry for continuing the thread. I figured that since it is a top Google result so anyone w/ Kodi+wifi problems will probably land here.
Kodi is a fantastic piece of software and by no means did I want to suggest that there is a problem with the software itself. I run Kodi wired on a FireTV 1st gen for 6 years now w/o any problems.
I jut wanted to ask if there is any kind of extra network chatter that could be disabled like dlna or something similar.

I will look into simplifying my LAN which is particular to my case.
Probably my setup is kinda worst case scenario: slow Raspberry pi 3 on 2ghz wifi pulling big video files from an old NAS via SMB. And LAN quirks on top of that.

So TLDR: wired is the way. Anything less is going to downgrade the experience fast.
(2020-11-25, 09:40)ccimpoi Wrote: I jut wanted to ask if there is any kind of extra network chatter that could be disabled like dlna or something similar.

UPnP/DNLA is disabled by default in Kodi, so if you don't need it, don't enable it.

The antenna in the RPi devices is minimal,and often hampered by the casing that a RPi is placed in. Wifi by my definition is not fit for heavy media files, unless you have a good/steady 300+Mbps connection. And that doesn't always happen. And certainly, whenever you have the option to use a wired network solution in your network, use it. Wifi can pick up so much interference that its overal quality suffers greatly. A good cable connection does not have any of those, and stability, throughput and overall speed are much better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problem with wifi and kodi0