WD Duo 12TB usable on Raspberry Pi 3?
I am currently running a Raspberry Pi 3 with Openelec very succesfully with a 5TB HDD. I was thinking about expanding the memory, and I want to buy the WD Duo 12TB (Amazon link: a.co/cecbVP9).
I want to run the HDD in JBOD or RAID 0 to be able to use the full 12TB. Is this going to work? Is the Raspberry Pi 3 able to handle that, or does it depend on openelec?
(2017-02-23, 15:49)imdontstupid Wrote: I am currently running a Raspberry Pi 3 with Openelec very succesfully with a 5TB HDD. I was thinking about expanding the memory, and I want to buy the WD Duo 12TB (Amazon link: a.co/cecbVP9).
I want to run the HDD in JBOD or RAID 0 to be able to use the full 12TB. Is this going to work? Is the Raspberry Pi 3 able to handle that, or does it depend on openelec?

I can't answer the 12TB question (though I'm using a 16TB unRAID server connected to my Pi with no problems - but that's a different situation). However I'd suggest switching from OpenElec to LibreElec - OpenElec has all but ceased development I think...
Just an observation from running a 12TB RAID drive directly connected to an iMAC...

One would think all the JBOD or RAID 0 hard drive functionality is handled by the HDD itself. Independent of the platform used.
Sure there are helper / config Apps to use initially on a PC or Mac but after that I would think they would not be needed.

(2017-02-24, 04:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Just an observation from running a 12TB RAID drive directly connected to an iMAC...

One would think all the JBOD or RAID 0 hard drive functionality is handled by the HDD itself. Independent of the platform used.
Sure there are helper / config Apps to use initially on a PC or Mac but after that I would think they would not be needed.

I can see how JBOD would be implemented by the interface used to connect the SATA HDDs to a PC - as that would effectively create a USB->SATA link for each hard drive?

However I don't see how that could be the case for RAID 0 - which stripes across drives. I don't see how individual HDDs could do that - either the PC's OS or applications (software RAID) or a bit of hardware between the PC and the individual HDDs (hardware RAID) would need to do this, surely? Typically this would be in the HDD enclosure I guess if not done in software on the PC. (ISTR some BIOSs handle software RAID duties?)

AIUI RAID 0 stripes files across disks - without redundancy - so you don't lose disk capacity, but do gain potential speed increases. (RAID 0 is about delivering higher speeds not protecting content)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WD Duo 12TB usable on Raspberry Pi 3?0