v17 No DTS-HD MA, TrueHD Suddenly! [SOLVED]
Version: Kodi v17.1 "Krypton" RC1
GPU: nVidia GTX 1080 (Driver 378.66)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2000

I've been using Kodi for a long time now, and I haven't had this issue before. DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD would pass through to my receiver, no problems, upon media playback. Suddenly this has STOPPED! Only "DTS" or "Dolby Digital" is playing back on my receiver now for media with DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. I don't know exactly when this happened - I wasn't paying attention to my receiver since everything used to work fine. I just noticed this last night.

Applications outside of Kodi DO NOT have this issue. I tested by playing same media in PowerDVD and MPC-HC. Both were passing through DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

But Kodi is only passing through DTS & Dolby Digital instead of the HD Formats.

I have NOT TOUCHED these settings in ages. Always been like:

Here's MEDIAINFO information from the Audio section of a sample media I'm playing:

Code:
Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Duration                                 : 1h 56mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

This is what my Receiver shows when playing the above file in KODI:

This is what my Receiver shows when playing the above file in in anything else like POWERDVD:

I have no idea what just happened! Why Kodi suddenly stopped passing through DTS-HD MA & TrueHD, and is only playing back in DTS & Dolby Digital.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I just want to categorically state, without reservation, that I'm an IDIOT.

I'm using DirectSound instead of WASAPI. I never knew that DirectSound does not support the HD Audio formats, only WASAPI does.
Switches to WASAPI and lo & behold. DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD started working from KODI.

I don't know if I was imagining getting HD Audio formats all this time; I may have confused with playback using PowerDVD. But it looks like all this time I've been receiving DTS & Dolby Digital instead of DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD during playback in Kodi.

I hope this helps someone else in my shoes.

Case Closed.

Thanks.
I've posted about this issue before, and it is usually caused by Windows patching.

This is one of the reasons I moved to Android, from Windows, as I was tired of rebooting all my PC's when they got patched, and then having to make sure none of the Sound settings changed in Kodi to DirectSound.

Also, it was very annoying that sometimes Windows would patch, and I wouldn't get notified, and something would be broken in Kodi, which restarting Kodi wouldn't fix, but once I rebooted, and saw that Windows was patching, realized the issue.

Again, it's why I finally moved all my systems the Android using the Nvidia Shield TV.

Just my 2 cents.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No DTS-HD MA, TrueHD Suddenly! [SOLVED]0