Two Newbie Questions
Smile 
Hi

I am currently using Kodi v17.1 release candidate under Windows 10 on a pc.

1. I have movies, some TV series and my home videos in separate folders.
However when starting Kodi, the movie database updates everything.
Is there a way of preventing the database update from including the Home Movies and the TV Series?

2. Using Opensubtitles, I had to download an english.srt for a movie that was mostly English, but had a lot of critical audio in French.
The first .srt I downloaded produced English subtitles when English was spoken, but did nothing when French was spoken.
I eventually found a .srt that also added subtitles for the French audio (but still added subtitles for the English).
How can I download/find .srts that will just show English subtitles when other than English is spoken?
Welcome to the forum nordo

1. There are two ways of doing this. The first is by going to settings>Media>library you will then see the option "update library on startup" Disable this option for both video and music further down the list. This is a global setting.

If you just want to disable just tv shows then you go to videos>files then highlight tv shows source(s), call up the context menu (right click mouse) and select "change content". Enable "exclude path from library update"

2. Sorry can't help you with this one
2. You need to look for what are called "forced" subtitles. I've no idea how well advertised they are (e.g. if they're labelled differently) or if they're even commonly available - otherwise, you'll have to use a full set of subtitles and just be quick with the buttons when they switch to French.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2017-02-25, 12:35)blossom24 Wrote: Welcome to the forum nordo

1. There are two ways of doing this. The first is by going to settings>Media>library you will then see the option "update library on startup" Disable this option for both video and music further down the list. This is a global setting.

If you just want to disable just tv shows then you go to videos>files then highlight tv shows source(s), call up the context menu (right click mouse) and select "change content". Enable "exclude path from library update"

2. Sorry can't help you with this one

Perfect!
Thanks Blossom.Wink
(2017-02-25, 16:13)Prof Yaffle Wrote: 2. You need to look for what are called "forced" subtitles. I've no idea how well advertised they are (e.g. if they're labelled differently) or if they're even commonly available - otherwise, you'll have to use a full set of subtitles and just be quick with the buttons when they switch to French.

Thanks Prof.Wink
Having the English subtitles on for the full movie so that I can understand the French parts isn't a big deal (and sometimes it's good when they mumble something Blush).
I just thought I may have been doing something wrong.
But I'll do a bit of investigation into "forced" subtitles.
Quote:sometimes it's good when they mumble something

This seems to be the default dialogue on most TV/Movies these days.

Forced subtitles are the version for (eg) an English speaking watcher of a mainly English language movie where there are occasional foreign language parts that the viewer is supposed to understand. Of course there are situations where the movie is told from the point of view of a protagonist who doesn't understand the foreign language, and the viewer is not supposed to understand what those damn foreigners are on about, then any subtitles would not match the exposition intended.

Also of course, you can substitute TV Episode for Movie in that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-26, 05:57)nickr Wrote:
Quote:sometimes it's good when they mumble something

This seems to be the default dialogue on most TV/Movies these days.

Forced subtitles are the version for (eg) an English speaking watcher of a mainly English language movie where there are occasional foreign language parts that the viewer is supposed to understand. Of course there are situations where the movie is told from the point of view of a protagonist who doesn't understand the foreign language, and the viewer is not supposed to understand what those damn foreigners are on about, then any subtitles would not match the exposition intended.

Also of course, you can substitute TV Episode for Movie in that.
Nod
I prefer to go to the open subtitles web site and download it that way, rather than through the kodi app.

Sent from my iPhone

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Two Newbie Questions0