VLC (VideoLAN Client) turing into a media center app to compete with Kodi
Did anyone else here notice that VLC (at least for Android) has been slowly tured into fully fledged media center software with a real (SQL based) media library?

VideoLAN have nicknamed it "VLMC" (for "VideoLan Media Center") as it gets more and more Kodi media center 'likeness' with every release and is getting closer to compete in the same media center niche and level as Kodi and MediaPortal.

Checkout the full feature writeup for the latest VLC beta: https://geoffreymetais.github.io/features/vlc-21-beta/

Quote: "As previously stated, medialibrary will allow to make VLC a real media center with fancy movies/tv shows presentation, and better artists/albums illustrations."

Latest version have SQLite database with 'global search' support, is compatible with 'voice search' on Android, and now even have "Android Auto" compatibility.

They also said that they have plans to implement support for off-line files (a feature to download and sync media from NAS shares to your Android device).

They write that they have even started development on an extension API in order to let anyone develop Android applications which will provide content to VLC.

Quote: "For example, we will release (with sources of course) extensions bringing support of podcasts subscriptions and Google Drive access."

PS: Mods can move this thread to off-topic if they like, though I'm not sure if discussing features of competing products should be considered to be off-topic as it is very much Kodi related discussion.
The more options the better IMO
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-02-27, 14:48)bry Wrote: The more options the better IMO
+1

I of course think this is a good thing too; competition is the fuel for greatness.

I did not mean to imply that this is a bad think, as I also think more similar apps will breed more ideas for new features and functions we might not even have known that we wanted.

Only meant to hint that I also want all those new features in Kodi as well Wink
That's good. Competition is good. I just hope VLC does not become too bloated and take longer to start up. I need its fastness!
I'd read some article about this, and I'm mostly in agreement with Gorbulan. VLC fits a pretty specific niche in my usage, and I'd hate to see it get bloated. I do like the idea that it might push us to improve, but I worry that it'll slowly stop being the VLC I like and want.
If you want unbloated there is always mplayer
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I knew this option, I mentioned it here one hour before you.

Now, I've found something really useful that uses vlc or your preferred player according to file extensions settings from your Os :
Docfetcher
It runs under Linux, Osx or Windows, can use a single database for several computers. Or local databases.
( performance issues if too many computers refresh the database at the same time)

All your songs are indexed, but also all your lyrics, etc. (if you use the Cu lrc lyrics addon of course)
So, you can search for "hello, le soleil brille" and in return, you get all files containing this ! Click and see !
Use Docfetcher to open the folder that contains the lyrics file, and you'll find your music file too !

So, you can also search for your scores, pdf files about an author, etc.

Kodi is perfect for a media center. Docfetcher as a search / launcher tool for your music or other homework on a computer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VLC (VideoLAN Client) turing into a media center app to compete with Kodi0