Weird Problem - Kodi GUI "frozen" when resumed
So I just upgraded to 17.0. AWESOME! Great job team. 99.9% of everything is working perfectly, but I can't figure out one really weird problem:

My system: I'm using Windows 10 on a dedicated HTPC. The only add-on that I use outside of the Kodi Repository is the Emby For Kodi addon. Other than that, its 100% stock Kodi.

My problem: When I first boot up the computer, Kodi (and my Emby server) automatically start and everything works perfectly. If I need to exit out of Kodi to do something else on the computer, I exit out of Kodi normally. But then when I click on the Kodi icon to restart the program, Kodi seems to start but I am unable to control anything. I can't navigate at all. Kodi is basically frozen, even though I can hear the clicks as I try to navigate with my keyboard or Logitech remote. The only way to restore Kodi to full operation is to reboot my computer entirely. [UPDATE: I also now realize that the same behavior happens after I "wake up" my computer from sleep.]

Here's where is gets really weird: I turned on Kodi's debug logging to try to capture the problem and exited out of Kodi. But when I click on Kodi icon to restart the program.... It works perfectly. I've now replicated this 10 times. If debug logging is off, Kodi is broken when I restart it and I have to reboot my computer entirely. If debug logging is on, Kodi works perfectly when I restart it.

Its driving me a bit crazy because I'm unable to capture the problem in a debug log because I only experience the problem with debug logging OFF.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions on where I should look for the cause of my problem?

Thanks in advance!!!
I would try removing Emby from Kodi (Not uninstalling Emby from the PC) just to see how that might affect Kodi...I'm thinking that Emby might be updating it's library and maybe you need to wait long enough for Emby to finish??
Take Emby out of the equation.
And maybe change yout topic subject to something that describes your issue so it gets more attention
This might not help - apologies if it doesn't - but I had the same issue on start up going back to v16. I have a little utility I use to start Kodi. It listens out for a double-press of the help key on my remote, presents a menu of actions that I select with a number key on my remote. One of the options is Kodi. Every now and again - I was never able to spot a cause - it would do as you say. The screen goes black (no startup logos even) and I could hear UI sounds but nothing displayed on screen. I found that recalling my utility and selecting Kodi a second time fixed the issue (I didn't stop Kodi and my utility has code to spot it is already running so it just transfers focus). In that situation Kodi automatically minimises and I think that helps.

Since then I've recoded my utility to send a Windows-2 key (Kodi is the second icon on the start bar). Since then I've not seen the problem.

Andy
(2017-02-28, 18:52)Atreyu Wrote: Take Emby out of the equation.
And maybe change yout topic subject to something that describes your issue so it gets more attention

Thanks for the suggestions. I've changed the topic to hopefully get more attention. I also removed my Emby For Kodi add-on completely, but the behavior is still occuring. To clarify: Kodi seems to restart normally, and I can see my home page, but the GUI is basically "frozen" and I am unable to navigate, select anything, etc. But I hear the UI sounds that correspond to actions I'm trying to make via my remote or keyboard. Also, I now realize that this same behavior is happening if my computer goes to sleep; Upon waking my computer, Kodi's GUI is completely frozen.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I've searched the forum and can't find any similar reports or suggestions.

Thanks!
Might be a graphic driver issue (just now thought of that)
Could you share your gfx specs?

I have also experienced similar issues in the past.
For me, it was gfx drivers interaction with windows power management.

You could try and create a debug log through advancedsettings.xml, see http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced
(2017-02-28, 22:39)Atreyu Wrote: Might be a graphic driver issue (just now thought of that)
Could you share your gfx specs?

I have also experienced similar issues in the past.
For me, it was gfx drivers interaction with windows power management.

You could try and create a debug log through advancedsettings.xml, see http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced

Here are my specs:
CPU: i5-4670
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I just updated the graphics driver like you suggested. Still no change.

I'll read through the wiki and try to create a debug log through the advanced settings shortly.

Thanks for continuing to try to help me troubleshoot.
Here's the link to my debug log:

http://pastebin.com/kt3fHJu1

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, so hopefully you can see something that suggests the problem/solution.

Thanks again!
(2017-02-28, 23:27)ayeroff Wrote: Here's the link to my debug log:

http://pastebin.com/kt3fHJu1

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, so hopefully you can see something that suggests the problem/solution.

Thanks again!

CORRECTION:

Use this debug log: http://pastebin.com/GeJpFTP8

The first one didn't capture the problem. This one shows a TON of errors. All the errors seem to be something about "Window Translator: Can't find Window ..."

Any ideas what this means?
Would it be best if I just delete my entire set-up, do a clean install of Krypton, and then re-build my set-up from scratchHuh
(2017-02-28, 01:03)ayeroff Wrote: So I just upgraded to 17.0. AWESOME! Great job team. 99.9% of everything is working perfectly, but I can't figure out one really weird problem:

My system: I'm using Windows 10 on a dedicated HTPC. The only add-on that I use outside of the Kodi Repository is the Emby For Kodi addon. Other than that, its 100% stock Kodi.

My problem: When I first boot up the computer, Kodi (and my Emby server) automatically start and everything works perfectly. If I need to exit out of Kodi to do something else on the computer, I exit out of Kodi normally. But then when I click on the Kodi icon to restart the program, Kodi seems to start but I am unable to control anything. I can't navigate at all. Kodi is basically frozen, even though I can hear the clicks as I try to navigate with my keyboard or Logitech remote. The only way to restore Kodi to full operation is to reboot my computer entirely. [UPDATE: I also now realize that the same behavior happens after I "wake up" my computer from sleep.]

Here's where is gets really weird: I turned on Kodi's debug logging to try to capture the problem and exited out of Kodi. But when I click on Kodi icon to restart the program.... It works perfectly. I've now replicated this 10 times. If debug logging is off, Kodi is broken when I restart it and I have to reboot my computer entirely. If debug logging is on, Kodi works perfectly when I restart it.

Its driving me a bit crazy because I'm unable to capture the problem in a debug log because I only experience the problem with debug logging OFF.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions on where I should look for the cause of my problem?

Thanks in advance!!!
I have the same problem. Have Krypton 17 on Windows 10 on my PC. Each time I exit Kodi and try to run it again, I have to reboot my PC. Very annoying. Any suggestions?
The debug logs seems to be unavailable?
My thread is a bit old. To update: I was unsuccesful in my attempts to correct the problem, even after uninstalling everything, doing a Windows 10 refresh, and starting from scratch. I've also tried it with my graphics card and with my built in Intel HD graphics, and the same problem happens. So I've gone back to using Kodi version 15.2, which works perfectly. I'd still like to update to Version 17, but not until I can find a viable solution.

My debug log has long since expired, and since I no longer have Kodi 17 running, I can't really generate a new debug log. Maybe Spuzz man can generate and upload a debug logHuh

Thanks again for the help.

(2017-03-27, 07:32)splatterpop Wrote: The debug logs seems to be unavailable?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird Problem - Kodi GUI "frozen" when resumed1